Search

Using Treadlock (blue)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Unhappy Using Treadlock (blue)

Where do I need to used thread lock?

I put some on the screws that hold the motor mount to the chassis, but everytime I want to take out the motor I end up stripping the screws. Now I have to buy a new chassis and new motor mount... should I just limit the thread lock to the flywheel nut and screw that holds the pinions?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Using Treadlock (blue)

Originally posted by Profoxcg
Where do I need to used thread lock?

I put some on the screws that hold the motor mount to the chassis, but everytime I want to take out the motor I end up stripping the screws. Now I have to buy a new chassis and new motor mount... should I just limit the thread lock to the flywheel nut and screw that holds the pinions?
Some thread lock will lock really hard, if you use them on the motor mount screws you are SCREWED! What car do you drive? Like on the NTC3 I usually do not screw it too tight, they seem to be able to tighten themselves a lot. I do not use thred lock there. On my Mugen its the same, just screw it in firmly w/o any thred lock. Its never come loose before.

The TAMIYA thread lock is decent (does not work too well for parts that take a lof of vibration), holds firmly but you should not lock the thread with it. Another alternative for you it is use the thred lock SPARINGLY. Try to dab some of the 'excess' off before putting the screw in.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

I use it on every metal to metal screw on my nitro cars and in some places on electric cars.

If you are stripping screws you are using too much of it. Use the loctite or asscociated brand. You don't need a lot of it, just a little bit to hold the screw in place.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

great thanks guys !