Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Are CEN products good? >

Are CEN products good?

Are CEN products good?

Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

My buddy has a Cen CTS-4 and we've tried to get that thing hit top speed. The problem is it always spins out soon after the 2nd gear kicks in. We tried different tires, checked if there is any binding in the drive train. I've seen a couple of CTS-4 at the track and they also complained of it spinning out, and they don't come close to the speeds of the 1/10 nitro sedans at the track. It may be possible for it to reach 74mph but if it needs a parking lot the length of a football fields to reach that speed, then its useless at the track. It is also very difficult to work on and parts are almost impossible to find. Out of 6 hobbies store in my area, there is only one that carries a few parts. At least this is my experience with CEN.

Ciao!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"Car handle also direct air toward cooling head providing high efficient cooling"

Any RC car company that states their "car handle" will direct air towards the cooling head, are stupid. I'd be weary of their claims of hitting 73 mph. I have seen in an RC magazine, a shootout between this car and a Schumacher Fusion (not sure of the schumacher model), and although the Cen car won the top speed test, they said the acceleration of this car sucks.

Stick with an NTC3, CD3, or LD3 if you want to buy an RTR. HPI cars are very reliable and can take a beating, but the handling of the RS4 3's suck. I've owned an NTC3, RS4 3 SS, RS4 3 18SS, and currently own a Mugen MTX3 prospec, and a Yokomo Gt4-R. If I were to rank my cars...

1. Mugen MTX3
2. Yokomo GT4-R
3. NTC3
4. RS4 3 18SS
5. RS4 3 SS
Old 09-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Well I still love my CT4-S. Its fast and I havent had any problems with the handling. THINK ABOUT IT THOUGH, You are driving a remote control car and trying to hit speeds up to 75 MPH. Remote Control cars are only like 12 inches long how do you expect them to not spin out sometimes when you are going speeds like that. I think its cool that you can go that fast with any r/c car. Either way I believe that CEN is a good company just new. New companies compared to older ones always get bad reputations. Yes replacement parts and upgrades can be hard to come by at your LHS but there are websites that sell them and get them to you fast. I get all mine from www.customRCcars.com
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

If you are racing on a circuit and not on a very low budget, I suggest you buy something else.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If he's looking for just all out straight line speed to just bash around, I'd say go with the Schumacher. Its a much better built car than the CEN. If money is tight, and he wants to try out the CEN, then by all means, its up to him if he wants to go that route. I was just trying to point out that, if he were to get into racing in the future, the CT4-S will not be a wise choice for the mere fact that the car cannot handle well during a real race environment. I've seen them on the track...their handling is just as bad as an HPI RS4 3.

The only low budget cars that can hang at our track with the high end mugen's, kyosho's, serpents, is the HPI R40's, NTC3's, & CD3's/LD3's.

Originally Posted by Ryan Victor
Well I still love my CT4-S. Its fast and I havent had any problems with the handling. THINK ABOUT IT THOUGH, You are driving a remote control car and trying to hit speeds up to 75 MPH. Remote Control cars are only like 12 inches long how do you expect them to not spin out sometimes when you are going speeds like that. I think its cool that you can go that fast with any r/c car. Either way I believe that CEN is a good company just new. New companies compared to older ones always get bad reputations. Yes replacement parts and upgrades can be hard to come by at your LHS but there are websites that sell them and get them to you fast. I get all mine from www.customRCcars.com
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My mate tried his CEN against a Tamiya with O.S. .12 CV-R (the cv-r was modded) but we know the cv-r for a fact maxed out at around 80km/h the CEN could not even touch it... something going on there i'd say. I personally wouldn't touch CEN cars i race a Trinity Reflex my dad has A OFNA CD3 and a Great Vigor v2000, you simply can't beat engeneering put into the cars.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com

Originally Posted by Ryan Victor

an employee could not have said it better......(OOOOPS)...i spilled the beans..
Old 01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

You guys really shouldnt open your mouth if you dont know what your talking about, just makes you look more stupid. My first nitro rc was a CEN Fun Factor. I could easilly get 45-50mph out of that truck. It lasted me 2 years without any problems. I rebuilt the engine after 7 gallons due to performance loss and I just recently sold it. It was an awsome truck for me. It was also National Champion in the .16 1/10 scale class trucks. So if you guys thing CEN products are crap think again. The new CEN products could sweap any stock trucks such as the revo, t-maxx, savage. I just bought the T-Maxx about 4 weeks ago, and no way does this t-maxx have the speed my cen had.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I had a cen cts4, I think that's what it was, and to me it was more for bashing than racing. It will go 80 if you had a 50 yard stretch.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Old 01-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Cen is crap theres alot of false advertising from that brand. There was a cop at the track one day with his radar gun he clocked a NSR powered Mtx-3 at 97k and the cen car wouldn't go anywere near the speeds of the mtx-3. it seemed to be half of that so i dont see how that RTR will do 73mph out of the box
Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Its pretty simple. The car uses large a large cb and small spur. Its what I did to my t-maxx. It doesnt have the torque anymore but I can go 55 with my maxx now. That car is light weight with a decent size engine to power that high of a gear ratio.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

The only other problem is if your LHS sells replacement parts. When I had it, I had to wait a week before I could drive it if I broke something..
Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Believe it or not, I think RC Car Action or another subscription , can't remember which, did a speed test on one of these and it did crack the 70MPH limit. It just took some time getting there. I think the Schumacher .21 powered sedan was in the shotout as well. The Schui got to it's top speed much faster but had a slightly lower top speed than the CEN.