Community
Wiki Posts
Search

k&n air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
He is a kung fu master in Hong kong who is a friend of Dino!

He also happens to tune a nasty engine in his spare time.
Yes,he is the only man who dare to call EVO's nickname PUNK!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by dino.tw
Yes,he is the only man who dare to call EVO's nickname PUNK!

He is confusing me with the fish,that PUNK.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EVOLUTION

He is confusing me with the fish,that PUNK.
what's the relationship between fish and punk? and does it related to K&N filter?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Manticore
what's the relationship between fish and punk? and does it related to K&N filter?
Yes,fish runs a K&N on his mtx3!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, if not everyone, most of you guys has bashed K&N air filters. From my opinion, have any of you guys did R&D testing or some kind of test saying if K&N airfilters are bad ? I'm just saying, before people voice their opinion on how they "suck", why not do a R&D test on them ? Maybe, it is better than your normal foam filter.

I have used a K&N air filter on my G4 and have no problems at all. It actually costed me cheaper because everytime I run those foam filters, they end up breaking or getting dirty with oil buildup and then I throw them away.I end up forking out cash for another one. With the K&N air filter, you can at least rewash it everytime and save you a couple of bucks. (I Race every week and practice 3 times a week at different tracks)

Someone in the thread said, that the K&N air filter is made for crank ventilation for positivie pressure. That is true. BUT it still has to filter the air going into the cyclinder head and down to the crankcase for negative pressure when the piston goes down to prevent dirt and other forgien particles to come inside. It is made up of the same material and structurally designed the same.

Again, just my 0.02, but don't "knock it, till you try it" do some test or some kind of R&D testing before saying "they suck or I heard".

chris
Old 12-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanx for or the opinion guy still where can i order k&n at? how much is the mugen airfilter? i have a fw-05r and a novarossi rs12s1 engine. which air filter would fit it?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, you would use a K&N air filter 5/8" inlet made for crankcase ventilation. I can get one for you for about $20.00 shipped. To your door. I work for a car shop, that fixes up imports for turbocharging etc..

chris
Old 12-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

I've used the K&N, can't say that I noticed any performance gain or loss, the only thing you may want to consider is the weight, the K&N is probably quite a bit heavier than a standard foam filter and that weight sits up high, in this day of lower C&G it kind of defeats the object.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by mrredrsx02
thanx for or the opinion guy still where can i order k&n at? how much is the mugen airfilter? i have a fw-05r and a novarossi rs12s1 engine. which air filter would fit it?
Try http://members.aol.com/rcrproducts/products.htm

Perhaps you can get in touch with bbntc3 as he uses the K&N air filter too. I thought he mentioned last time that he was bulk ordering these K&N filters for our small engines.

Anyway, you can also try Epexi air filters. I think they are direct copies of the K&N design.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Again, just my 0.02, but don't "knock it, till you try it" do some test or some kind of R&D testing before saying "they suck or I heard".
Many of us here on the thread have tried or have had experience with any of the products we talk about, or else it would not make sense.
However, keep in mind that each and every one of us have the right to say what we feel about a product. I am not a spokesman for any company, I can criticize or praise any product that is, in my opinion, well or poorly made.

Remember that many things are subjective, what works for one may not for another. If your K&N work great, thats good for you, but that does not make it a good product for others.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey B, you truly are right, and what you said is totally respectable. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just pointing fingers at people saying "I heard" or people who haven't done R&D testing and just jump on the band wagon, and say what they think could be right. Have a Happy Holiday.

Take care

chris
Old 12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

RCCA did a comparison review of both the K&N and the Motorsaver units a long time ago and i believe that the K&N does allow for some small particles to pass that resulted scoring of the lining of the piston/sleeve. And yes I'm sure they properly oiled it with K&N's supplied filter oil.

With that said, I still honestly dont know how effective the K&N filter is in our application. The RCCA test is only one test and should not be used as the only basis. If you do a number of tests and find similar results then I would agree with RCCA's findings.

I do have a K&N unit and if i hold it up to a light, i can see pinholes of light going through. Perhaps once oiled these spots will be gone but it doesnt look promising. Motorsaver units (i have owned and ran these) are proven and are cheaper, so I just go with what i know works.

If someone does another test with K&N on their engine and posts some positive results, then I'd consider using it myself. But i cant afford to ruin my $200+ engine just to see how well these filters perform.

Last edited by icon; 12-16-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by 993power
I have used a K&N air filter on my G4 and have no problems at all. It actually costed me cheaper because everytime I run those foam filters, they end up breaking or getting dirty with oil buildup and then I throw them away.I end up forking out cash for another one. With the K&N air filter, you can at least rewash it everytime and save you a couple of bucks. (I Race every week and practice 3 times a week at different tracks)
You can wash the foam filters and reuse them.. they supply you with enough filter oil for many applications. Warm soapy water works a treat.

Someone in the thread said, that the K&N air filter is made for crank ventilation for positivie pressure. That is true. BUT it still has to filter the air going into the cyclinder head and down to the crankcase for negative pressure when the piston goes down to prevent dirt and other forgien particles to come inside. It is made up of the same material and structurally designed the same.
I said that. And your example of how it works is wrong. The filter when used as a breather does not have much airflow at all. It is not realy an intake filter like a carby filter or airbox filter. There is simply not that much air flow. A piston moving down actually created positive pressure in the crank case. However this is almost negated by the fact that another piston is moving up and creating a negative pressure. All the pistons move at a different time, so the breather allows the small eccess pressure escape or to allow a small amount in to the crankcase. It also allows for the fact that the oil expands as the engine heats up, and the hot air inside a running engine's crankcase is less dense and therefore a lower pressure than the atmosphere. It also reduses the pressure inside the crankcase as rings start to wear and some om the combustion pressure slips past the rings. In many cases, you will find the breather actually allows more flow of air out of the crankcase than into it.

Some airfilters are better than others in their operation. The K&N looks nice, but it is realy no better than the foam type of filter in an RC application, but you cant go past them on a fullsize car.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Talking air filters

guys i like this thread coz i'm learning a lot about air filters just keep it going, tnx........
Old 12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

now i'm curious about the Paris K&N. is it just a repackaged breather filter or actually spec'd by Paris for R/C application?

the housing and design looks similar enough but no more ugly chrome top .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.