Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a good head start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting a good head start.

Hello, my name is Ian . I am a computer science student over at Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, Georgia.

I haven't messed with RC Cars in a long time, roughly 7 years. I don't know what has made me interested again, but something has.

I like to be as efficient as possible, so I figured that you guys would be a good place to come to where I could gather all information to run a 1/8 scale Nitro On-Road car.

I have a Picco Integera, from many years ago; however, I was a child when I purchased it, and I am confident that I damaged the engine (among other things) whilst I was messing with it. I will attempt to sell it, at a greatly reduced price. I will also attempt to sell my 1/8 scale off-road truck, which is fine (as far as I know). I want to start fresh, with a car that has not been tainted by my inexperience.

The car I am going to start fresh with is the "EDAM Exer." From what I could find on this car, it seems to be a joy to work with, and an excellent performer. If someone else has a suggestion (I would rather stick with RTR or ATR for my first real attempt at getting into RC Cars), I would love to hear it.

Anyway, I am very interested in any documents that could go over RC Car maintenance, good online sites for purchases, tuning, etc. I want to take care of the car I purchase properly, and get the most out of it.

I appreciate any information! Thanks!

-Ian
Old 05-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unfunf
Hello, my name is Ian . I am a computer science student over at Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, Georgia.

I haven't messed with RC Cars in a long time, roughly 7 years. I don't know what has made me interested again, but something has.

I like to be as efficient as possible, so I figured that you guys would be a good place to come to where I could gather all information to run a 1/8 scale Nitro On-Road car.

I have a Picco Integera, from many years ago; however, I was a child when I purchased it, and I am confident that I damaged the engine (among other things) whilst I was messing with it. I will attempt to sell it, at a greatly reduced price. I will also attempt to sell my 1/8 scale off-road truck, which is fine (as far as I know). I want to start fresh, with a car that has not been tainted by my inexperience.

The car I am going to start fresh with is the "EDAM Exer." From what I could find on this car, it seems to be a joy to work with, and an excellent performer. If someone else has a suggestion (I would rather stick with RTR or ATR for my first real attempt at getting into RC Cars), I would love to hear it.

Anyway, I am very interested in any documents that could go over RC Car maintenance, good online sites for purchases, tuning, etc. I want to take care of the car I purchase properly, and get the most out of it.

I appreciate any information! Thanks!

-Ian

Where abouts you from?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I live in Atlanta, Georgia (United States); however, I am actually in Osaka, Japan, at the moment. I am working with a company here, but I will be coming back to Atlanta (permanently) at the end of May.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

guys are having really good results with the new seprent 966. specially if your heading back to Georgia. i would expect a few guys running this car there as well, so they can actually help while you are at the track. just something to look at.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Ah, well, I actually do not plan to spend much time at any track. I will mostly frequent very large empty parking lots. I am very busy, which means I will not be participating in any kind of competition. I am just interested in spending some time each weekend driving the car with one or two friends.

However, I definitely want to take good care of it, and I want it to be in a condition similar to that of a competition car. This is just the way I am, hehe.

This is why I asked on the forum. I do not expect to come into contact with many hobbyists, where I am.

I looked at the Seprent 966. It looks like an excellent car; however, I am afraid that I will end up messing things up while constructing it. This is why I was interested in a RTR or ATR. I am too new to start off building a car from scratch.

EDIT: Is there a place I can get a street price on the Serpent 966? I am interested in comparing it with the EXER RTR price.
EDIT: Also, if anyone is willing to talk with me about this, I would love to! My msn is [email protected]

Last edited by unfunf; 05-10-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

it not a 1/8, but if your just want something to play around with.

i would go with the nitro tc3 rtr 1/10 for $319. towerhobbies.com still has them.
the stock # 2042

anyway goodluck and have fun.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the suggestion. I am definitely looking for 1/8 scale competition cars; however. Something similar to the EXER, if not that car itself.

I am more interested in maintenance tips, and the like.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

While you are in osaka..... why don't you visit RC Champs ??

Tips : Buy RC World magazine ( japanese ) or American RC magazines, read the articles, prepare what you want to buy. It's good idea to write down the address of RC champ store in Osaka,.... If I'm not mistaken, the place is near ebisubashisuji shopping arcade.

Rc champ do mail order too.

Happy shopping.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool. I will check out rc champs, although I do not plan to make a purchase until I get back to the US. I know where Ebisucho is, as I have been there a lot. I think I will have no problem finding the store.

I do not think I am fluent enough in Japanese to read a magazine and understand all of it. I was wondering if people here had general tips. I have a pdf document that goes over some things. Maybe you guys would know if it is any good. I have included it as an attachment.

Basically, I want to purchase a 1/8 scale vehicle that I can start messing with quickly. That is why I was interested in RTR or ARR. I just do not want to repeat the mistakes I made as a child. I want to get a deep understanding of how to maintain a car like this, and keep it in competitive condition, even if I do not plan to use it to compete.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rccarguide.pdf (272.2 KB, 7928 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default 8th

I think that's the same car as the power racing xr80. It will suit your needs very well. I have a couple of the xr8 cars and they aren't too bad and the rtr will be plenty fast for you.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Rookie

You are talking about the EDAM EXER?
Yeah, from what I looked at, it seemed like a really cool car to start out with. I just want to make sure I get the most out of it, don't damage the engine, and keep it clean. That is the main purpose of this topic, getting advice or links to places that give good advice, with respect to the maintenance and tuning of such a car.

EDIT: I looked at the power racing XR80, it looks like an incredibly good deal: (I cannot post the URL, but it is larrysperformancercs site, and the price is $330 USD for a RTR kit).

How is it so cheap? Wouldn't a .27 motor itself be quite expensive? Not to mention the radio. It seems so odd to me that it is that cheap. If it really is that cheap, I will buy it as soon as I get back to the US.

Last edited by unfunf; 05-10-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Deal

I think it's so cheap because Power racing is no more. I think I saw somewhere that edam bought the molds and the cars are the same. The .27 engine is a cheap one but runs well. The only problem I had with the engine was the carb has an insulator that came loose but a little jb weld will fix that.I think you will like the car and spares can still be found for it. It is pretty fast and will probably hit 60 mph in a parking lot.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Ah, okay. Well, as long as it is legitimate, I think I'll bite. I hope it is still in stock a month from now.

So, do you have any suggestions of documents I can look at to get a better understanding of car maintenance and tuning?

Specifically: Any idea on a good glow starter, fuel mix, quick starter (sorry, I forget the name of it. You put the car on top of it and it allows for a better startup vs. pull start.), etc. I have heard there are engine break-in stands? Some way that I could lay put my car on something and break in the engine more efficiently.

Last edited by unfunf; 05-10-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I see that your looking for a 1/8 take a look at this car. Hes a local guy from track that is selling his car,
http://www.recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=32685199
Old 05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

It looks cool. I think it will be sold by the time I get back to the US, though :P. If it somehow isn't, I'll look into it more.

Last edited by unfunf; 05-10-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.