Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Engine Wars Thread

I was just in the snake pit and found this!

Are these numbers put out by novarossi or by serpent?

http://www.mytsn.com/products/specs.asp?prid=3185
Old 08-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HA! That's a joke! All I see different is the piston which I believe Novarossi had in their S3 and S5 engines forever. Considering that the S5 is almost the same as this engine, I find it impossible to take such a HP claim seriously. That is just ludicrous.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Typo: I mean "S3" instead of "S5" in that last part of the post.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

the novamega 5 port turbo is crazy fast

guy at my track caught a a guy with a S5

and there started out around 15ft apart
Old 08-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Racing4Evo, I think you got it confused. The later Novarossi engines comes with a solid billet aluminium piston while the older ones were casted and then machined.

The one that is described by NovaMega is Micro-Casted piston. It could be that they reverted and bought older technology ( ) or there is indeed a difference in casting technique which is far more superior.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Apparently this micro cast piston is lighter than the billet aluminium item.

The old method cast pistons has less precice control over their shape and wall angles and therefore would not seal as well as the billet pistons which were very accurately machined for better piston/sleeve fit.

This new method apparently results in a lighter piston with excellent sealing properties.

I don't understand the technicalities of it all so dont ask!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't think this is the same pistons in the past nova engines.The horsepower figure is i think a Bervoets inspired number!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Wink HATERS

Old 08-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Hater? Who me? You're probably right. But hey, what kind of a world would we live in without haters? LOL
Old 08-15-2003, 01:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lets forget the tribal mentality and try to start a constructive engine thread talking about engines in general but mainly the high end .12s that have hit the market(plus modded engines)and will in the future.

With the technology comes obviously higher prices and the current crop are proof of that and some of the modded engines have scray price tags! With 200mm tourers now an Ifmar event i guess the engines are going to get more powerful and more .21 technology will be scaled down into the .12s and some obviously think that could eventually turn off a lot of people cause of the cost factor,but i say bring it on!!!

On another point anyone heard anything about the .12 exagon engine from novarossi and any news on the engines from RD logics and Motorman such as release date?

See,now we have plenty to talk about.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Wars Thread-exagon.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
On another point anyone heard anything about the .12 exagon engine from novarossi and any news on the engines from RD logics and Motorman such as release date?
Ummm, I'm actually surprised to see the pic you attached. I thought somebody mentioned that the Exagon line of engines were only for the larger .21 engine and that the only new .12 engines from Novarossi is the NS line... I guess I'm wrong and Novarossi is yet to come out with the new Exagon engine?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, I'm actually surprised to see the pic you attached. I thought somebody mentioned that the Exagon line of engines were only for the larger .21 engine and that the only new .12 engines from Novarossi is the NS line... I guess I'm wrong and Novarossi is yet to come out with the new Exagon engine?
Yeah,i was thinking about why they introduced the NS engines and not the exagon but maybe they are further down the line or they have been replaced?

I think they had them on display at the hobby fair in Germany but i found the pic on a japanese site.Fantini wouldn't happen to be in the house would he,to give us the low down?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Yeah,i was thinking about why they introduced the NS engines and not the exagon but maybe they are further down the line or they have been replaced?
Ummm, that would be a step back from the NS12 wouldn't it? If you look at the carb, the exagon does not have any wide open carb opening with plastic insert / venturi like the NS12... It looks like a carb from the old S5.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

That is a display model,if they are going to be released things like that can be changed but as i said they might have been replaced or delayed!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Apparently this micro cast piston is lighter than the billet aluminium item.

The old method cast pistons has less precice control over their shape and wall angles and therefore would not seal as well as the billet pistons which were very accurately machined for better piston/sleeve fit.

This new method apparently results in a lighter piston with excellent sealing properties.

I don't understand the technicalities of it all so dont ask!
I belive, the old method was just die casting of desired alloy in mold under the pressure or in the vacuum. New type I think they refer (actualy it is not realy new) is powder baking procedure. It is widely use in military and airspace industries. Using this kind of techniques gives posability to inpregnant up to 27% of silicon in AL (which you can't do using regular die casting technology). It has nothing to do with weight of the piston, but backed alloy is moe durable and has much better friction properties (due to the Silicon %). Also thermoexpention is much closer to the ideal alloy, which make piston/sleeve set sealing better at any temperature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.