Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QUESTIONS ABOUT MUGEN MT.12

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default QUESTIONS ABOUT MUGEN MT.12

I've got a car on the way with a mugen mt.12 . Can anyone tell me what this engine will perform like such as power and rpm? Should this motor out perform an o.s. .18?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

About 8 years ago that was the motor to beat. I expect you would have a very quick car with a with a well tuned mt 12. I could be wrong, but your comparing a smaller, racing engine with a bigger, basher engine. Due to the os's size advantage, it may be pretty close. I could be wrong though.
jason
Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im getting the car because my chassis is tweaked I've got a screamer to throw in if I have to but this one still needs to be broke in so im gonna break it in and run and see what I've got on my hands. I just wanted to know who has seen one of these run and what can I expect from it.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a couple of those a few years ago. They were modified and were a pain to keep tuned. The modifier didn't really know what he was doing. Just kind of guessing. It was pretty quick when the tune was right tho. I would imagine if it was modified correctly or even stock, it would be easier to tune. Was very durable tho. I remember I overheated it once to like 360 degrees F. and it was fine. I never broke one either. Ended up selling it to get the latest and greatest, whatever that was...
Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

I had one a few years back and from what I recall it was a pretty fast engine with a lot of low end. held a tune just fine.

If I recall correctly it had a lot of torque and got up to speed very quickly worked well with a top end pipe.

it lasted me thru 2 seasons of club racing.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Torque

Those mt .12 have alot of torque. I ran them with an outlaw pipe and was a great engine. I know they won't keep up on an open track with todays engines but on a small track it's a good one.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. My lhs sets up a small track on sundays so this engine might be just right for it. I've got an extra team magic .12 outlaw pipe which I might throw on if the provided pipe isn't doing the job for me. Where can I get a skyline pipe ?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What pipe was provided with the engine?
What is cast into the side's of the crankcase?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That is an older motor with a little longer connecting rod in it giving it a little more torque than the other motors. It takes a lot of modifying to make the rpm with todays engines, but can be very close if done correctly. Very good lasting engine.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well ran the mugen for a few tanks in my street today and and the motor does make good torqe but it gear ratio is making like 45mph which does not cut it for me. Im fixing to swap out engines and gears tonight. Its gonna be a long night because gotta swap diffs too. I don't like the way my car brakes with it in. Anyways thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got one of those motors back in 2000 and it still runs well to this day. If I remember correctly, the guy at the hobby shop I brought it from, said that the motor was originally meant to be a truck motor. This is why it had so much torque, which most of you guys seem to agree upon.

It was great for small to medium tracks. I never had problems tuning it either. As a matter of fact it was one of the easiest motors, I've ever had, to tune.

Just my 2cents. I've retired it from racing and mainly use it for parking lot bashing. I was temped to let someone modify it for me, but it runs so well, I figured, why bother.