Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: ROAR ON ROAD FUEL NATIONALS - 8TH RACERS OF TOLEDO

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the_geeky
Not to mention that it is the worst RMT and race director too, should have not picked an offroad guy for an onroad race, can't believe that the rules kept on changing through out the race by the race director.
What rules were changed?? I'd really like to know.

If it was the bumps corner marshall, no where in the rule book does it say bumps don't corner marshall. In fact the rule book says everyone corner marshalls and the nationals guidelines say the race director may excusse bumps from turn marshalling. After reconsidering we made a change that made it easier for a lot of guys.

If it was the pit wall thing, there were a lot warnings issued, once, and everyone complied after that. Even some of the fast guys got a warning.

Like I've said for years. You'll never make everyone happy. If you keep the majority happy you've done your job well. If you try to make everyone happy you're only setting yourself up for failure.

By the comments and the posts that I've read or heard we did more than make the majority happy we made the overwhelming majority happy. And for that I'll pat the back of the entire RMT staff
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid
Why not just impound the AM/FM radios? The rest that use DSM don't effect these guys, let them keep their radios.
Don't be so sure of that Dorian. After what I was shown this weekend regarding the 2.4ghz frequency and the amount of traffic on 2.4 I firmly believe we still need impound. There were a lot of guys running 2.4 that had issues and much of it was to do with the amount of traffic on the 2.4ghz frequency. 2.4 is not limitless, it has a limit and it was shown to me thru computer analysis that we were nearly exceeding those limits last week during open practice.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
Don't be so sure of that Dorian. After what I was shown this weekend regarding the 2.4ghz frequency and the amount of traffic on 2.4 I firmly believe we still need impound. There were a lot of guys running 2.4 that had issues and much of it was to do with the amount of traffic on the 2.4ghz frequency. 2.4 is not limitless, it has a limit and it was shown to me thru computer analysis that we were nearly exceeding those limits last week during open practice.
Ok, impound them all Just curious, do you know how many were on when you were pushing the limit? I didn't think that you would get that many radios on at one time considering you can only have so many people on the track or the drivers stand. I was expecting it to be 50+ (just guessing), but I doubt if that many can do open practice at once.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid
Ok, impound them all Just curious, do you know how many were on when you were pushing the limit? I didn't think that you would get that many radios on at one time considering you can only have so many people on the track or the drivers stand. I was expecting it to be 50+ (just guessing), but I doubt if that many can do open practice at once.
I got a bit of an education on 2.4ghz this weekend from Robert of KO America at the race. He showed me a recorded session of open practice on his 2.4ghz analyzer and it was interesting. The recorded session was on practice day, radios on the stand, radios in staging and probably radios in the pits. What I saw was the more radios that were on the more saturated the 2.4 frq was and the longer it would take the D.S.S. (hoppers) systems to find their next open channel, this is latency. The longer the latency the more possible it is for their to be a momentary loss in communication, what us racers would see as a glitch or radio hit. As far as the max number of radios being on at any one time I don't know. But I do know now that the more 2.4 traffic at the track, WiFi and bluetooth, the more exaggerated the condition becomes. We didn't have any 2.4ghz wifi to contend with otherwise the issue could have been worse.

Bottom line is we live and we learn. 2.4ghz radios are still a fairly new technology and we're still learning.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I got a bit of an education on 2.4ghz this weekend from Robert of KO America at the race. He showed me a recorded session of open practice on his 2.4ghz analyzer and it was interesting. The recorded session was on practice day, radios on the stand, radios in staging and probably radios in the pits. What I saw was the more radios that were on the more saturated the 2.4 frq was and the longer it would take the D.S.S. (hoppers) systems to find their next open channel, this is latency. The longer the latency the more possible it is for their to be a momentary loss in communication, what us racers would see as a glitch or radio hit. As far as the max number of radios being on at any one time I don't know. But I do know now that the more 2.4 traffic at the track, WiFi and bluetooth, the more exaggerated the condition becomes. We didn't have any 2.4ghz wifi to contend with otherwise the issue could have been worse.

Bottom line is we live and we learn. 2.4ghz radios are still a fairly new technology and we're still learning.
Thanks for explaining. I knew WiFi was on the same frequency but wasn't aware bluetooth was in there also. I figured you still had channels to hop on but forgot it takes longer to find that next channel when so many radios are on.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Rookie

I am also a member of the One Eighth Racers of Toledo Club and I have to agree with Brian The race RMT team did a great job running the race. Ruben you did a great job keep everything entertaining and smooth. Jimmy and the rest of the team did a fantastic job of running an tight schedule and keeping it on time. Again thanks for the great job. And to all of my fellow club members thanks for a great job in helping to setup for this outstanding event. We all hope everyone enjoyed there stay we enjoyed having you. Thanks again to the event sponsors: Shepherd, Max Engines, Novarossi, Serpent America, Mugen Seiki Racing, KO Propo, Tornado Fuel, and Byrons Fuel.
Rick Frazier
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dawn, were you not going to reply to my pm? I saw that you read it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dorian ...... I'm not saying bluetooth is 2.4gh, don't know if it is or isn't. If I understood what Robert was telling me bluetooth can affect our radios, as well as other things. It was quite educational. 2.4ghz is a great trechnology but it does have it's limits.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Dorian ...... I'm not saying bluetooth is 2.4gh, don't know if it is or isn't. If I understood what Robert was telling me bluetooth can affect our radios, as well as other things. It was quite educational. 2.4ghz is a great trechnology but it does have it's limits.
Ruben,

Right out of Wiki. Robert knows his stuff.

Bluetooth uses a radio technology called frequency-hopping spread spectrum, which chops up the data being sent and transmits chunks of it on up to 79 frequencies. In its basic mode, the modulation is Gaussian frequency-shift keying (GFSK). It can achieve a gross data rate of 1 Mb/s. Bluetooth provides a way to connect and exchange information between devices such as mobile phones, telephones, laptops, personal computers, printers, Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, digital cameras, and video game consoles through a secure, globally unlicensed Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) 2.4 GHz short-range radio frequency bandwidth. The Bluetooth specifications are developed and licensed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). The Bluetooth SIG consists of companies in the areas of telecommunication, computing, networking, and consumer electronics.[4]
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think my brain just fried. 2.4 What????

Thanks to all involved that made this race possible. I am sure it is not easy and not everyone will be happy. I admit that I was one of the people that did not like the rule changes, but they were fixed and all is good. I had a stressed weekend, but learned a lot with the new sedan. Wish I could have done better, but thats what I get for not coming to practise. Congrats to the winners and to the 1/8 crew for hosting the event.

For those interested in the turn mashalls read rule 5.5.1.3 This rule is set to make sure there are at least 10 marshalls.

Till next time,

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default ROAR

I have to say ruben , jimmy, and the rest of the roar managment team did a great job ! Announcing, tech, even jimmy out on the track making sure marshals were out there ! I know how hard it is to run a club race and props out to them for doing a great job !

Thanks to team serpent for all their support . qualifying i had some problems but got it together for the mains . Special thanks to robert from ko propo ! What other manafacturer comes to the track not to race but support and help racers that use their product . He was helping many racers and was great to see him there . thankyou robert !

On behalf of paulie b., vidal , chris, george , taurean , and myself thanks to ted , brian, and the rest of toledo club for holding this event ! We all had a great time !

Shout out to taurean b. your car was dialed from practice to the mains ! Special thanks to mikey mike and paulie b. for their pit work !

Richard Siriano
Brooklyn Hobbies
Serpent America
Ko propo
tornado fuel
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I sat across from Robert all week and we chatted quite a bit about 2.4 and open practice. Watching the analyzer in real time was interesting and fun. One thing that we both agreed on was that the number of drivers running in open practice could have been controlled better. At one point I saw 16, yes 16 drivers on the stand driving with 8 waiting behind them on the stand for an open spot. Some of the drivers were standing on the stairs to drive since there was apparently not enough room up top. Add in the number of guys who were on but not running in the pits and you can see how you quickly run out of open channels on 2.4.

If you were to limit the number of cars allowed on track it would help with the latency issue. Why not have practice clips? This has been used at other large national events with much success. You simply have 10-12 colored clips that drivers must have to be on the stand and driving. If you don't have a clip you can't turn on and run. When a driver finishes his practice run (no fuel bottles of course) he turns off and hands the practice clip to the next guy in line.

Oh, and I had a great time. The race was well run, congrats to all the winners. Thanks to everyone who helped and my sponsors for all the support.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2.4ghz is a great trechnology but it does have it's limits.
And I found this out for myself..... In open practice as I was going (or tried going) into the right side chicane and tried to slow down and turn left, but my car kept accelerating and going straight until it hit the wall and wiped out half of the car.... When I got back to my pits with all of the parts, I asked Robert what could cause this and then I too got a good lessen in 2.4gHz.... and the week was just starting its down hill fall........

I do want to thank everyone for coming out, off of the track I had a blast and haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Everyone I dealt with seemed to be having a good time and I was shocked when someone actually said 'Thank You' while Dave G. and myself were dumping the trash.

I also want to thank everyone that helped me out!! You all know who you are. Andy, let me know how the Rope and Fly Anonymous meetings go........

Hopefully next years GLC will have people comming back that came to the nats. I think it's a race as good as the nats, but everyone is more layed back.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just got back to work after the Nationals!

I want to say thank you to ROAR for the officals keeping tabs on everybody with the radios on at the wrong time and the corner marshaling i see so many people skiping the marshaling.
Also to the 1/8 Racers for the time and effort to hold this event.

The compition was at its highest level of any race i have ever ran.
The weather was Purfect all week,12 hrs after the race was over the rain came.
There were lots of people switching to the X-Ray NT-1 it seemed to be handeling a little better than some of the others.
I want to say thanks to KYOSHO for the V-One RRR my car was on point all week very stable for the driving that i do.
My times were very consistent all week no they were not at the top but not everybody can be the winner,they were the best times i have ever ran at this track.
So from a Non-Sponsored driver ! Thanks Kyosho !
Thank you Kevin Hutchinson for the Twister Tires ! And the Shirts !
Thanks to all the buddies from Georgia that made the trip it was a Blast !
Until the GLC.
Thanks
Jeff Epperson

Blowin Smoke BBQ
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcsquish
Hopefully next years GLC will have people comming back that came to the nats.
.....hopefully you don't quit "squish".........like you said you might.....ANDY......good job in making the A-show.......stupid belts..................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.