Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 RTR:Good Beginner Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

HPI RS4 RTR:Good Beginner Car?

HI All,

I'm new to the nitro scene, but not too long ago did I own 2 eletric on-roads. Well, for the love of this hobby, I found my-self slowly getting back into it. Only difference this time, I am going nitro. I have found a car, but would like ot know if it's a good canidate. It is a HPI RS4 RTR model, a friend on mines from whom I'll be buying from. It includes all accesoires necessary to run, besides fuel and batteries need replaced. It also has a few mods(ex.exhaust, 2 speed tranny,etc...), so I am sure it is plenty fast. My Q's are, as me being a beginner, is this a good starter car? Are their plenty of upgrades(even though it's the older model RS4). And Q's of that sort. Since he hasn't ran the car in a while, how would I tune the engine for colder weather? Q's of that sort... All help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

you can still find parts for the RS4, but i would recommend you look elsewhere as far as having a long term car (if that is what you are looking for). even after spending a lot of money on options the car may be lacking compared to the newer cars. also the stock drivetrain components were not designed to handle higher horsepower output of the newer engines.

if you personally like the car (like my friend, who has an awesome modded RS4 2), then by all means get it. but if you are looking for cheap way to get into the hobby again, then i suggest buying a sport kit and starting from scratch instead of buying a used nitro car.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Whether or not the HPI you are looking at is good for you depends on a few factors. First is you wallet. If you can only afford a little, then you can probably get everything you need for a couple hundred dollars and be ready for fun. The next thing to conseder is what you are going to do with your car. If you are going to be parking lot bashing with your self or friends, then the HPI will be an excellent choice. If you will be racing, and have had previous RC racing experiance, then you won't be happy with the RS4 RTR. As far as tuning the engine, try the HPI web site for a good primer on how the adjust and maintain the FE that came with the car. With proper care, it will last and run relaibly.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Cost is the main reason I am getting this car. I have another hobby, which is ALOT of time and money, but I really missed this hobby, so I figured I'd come back, just won't be able to spend much on it. And the price my friend is asking is just right.

Also, the second reason, which many people are telling me, is this is a very reliable and good beginner car. I'd like to use this car for both bashing and racing. In this area, not too many locals own nitro(OR atleast from last time I raced, most were electrics), and w/ the few minor bolt-on's, and me being able to gain knowledge from nice ppl like you all, I believe I could run against others(OH yeah, also LEARN HOW TO DRIVE )

Not sure if I plan on keeping it in the long run, but if this car gets me hooked, I'm sure I'll being upgrading soon, so only the future will tell...
Old 11-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Knowing more about your situation, I would think that the HPI is a good fit for you. If somthing breaks, replace it with the stock plastic. Don't go crazy with the hop ups. The only thing I would recomend is the carbon fiber arms and stainless steel hinge pins. And only if you break the stock ones. Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Default All good advice

But If you are looking at HPI Looke at the racer 2 on ebay of a Nitro TC3 also on ebay!