Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Payed corner marshalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default Paid corner marshalls

I have heard there was a race in our area that allowed boy scouts to marshall for racers. They charged $8 for the day. Is it worth it as a racer to not have to be out there after your heat/main? Would you spend the money for this luxury. Would you spend the money to help the boy scouts raise funds for a canoe trip? Would you not do it because you think they wouldn't be good corner marshalls? Interested in your thoughts.

Last edited by wizby; 03-27-2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

P-A-I-D
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure for a ROAR track, in order for them to be covered in case of an injury, they would all have to be ROAR members. If it is privately insured, may not matter.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Would you trust a boy scout to know how to stop your runaway car? Unless they race also, then no I wouldn't want them marshaling.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Px3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It has it's downfalls. At my local track (Leisure Hours, Joliet il) the last big race they had, you could rent a boy scout for $20 for the whole weekend. A couple of them were okay. Well most of them. But would you rather have someone who knows what to grab, or not to grab, flipping your $500 toy? I'd rather they knew what was really going on.
I used to whore myself out for tires, money or food. Lol. But I was out there doing what had to be done, watching my area, not thinking "wow I just made $20 towards that trip next month!"
I will give them credit, I only heard one instance where a hired marshall was not present when they were supposed to be, and it was taken care of amost immediately.
Also, the majority of them were better than a couple of our "rookie" class racers out there marshalling. Jeebus... If your kid can't jump out and flip a 4 lb car with a couple more going by, go out there yourself and do the job, or at least try to switch spots.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wizby
I have heard there was a race in our area that allowed boy scouts to marshall for racers. They charged $8 for the day. Is it worth it as a racer to not have to be out there after your heat/main? Would you spend the money for this luxury. Would you spend the money to help the boy scouts raise funds for a canoe trip? Would you not do it because you think they wouldn't be good corner marshalls? Interested in your thoughts.
If they were to be educated on the do's and dont's then i can't see a problem. You would probably be surprised on how many of them would quit scouts to drive RC cars
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I know for our track, on practice days it would be worth it to me. But at a big race, IMO it should the race track that determines whether to charge everyone a fee to add the marshals. Also, although it would be nice to have someone who has knowledge on the track in case of a runaway, it's more lucky to have someone who knows what they are doing to assist. If you have a pit guy, maybe he would be the one to run over and help out in that type of problem.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

By the time your pit guy races across the track to assist while dodging other cars, it could be too late for your poor motor.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

It might be too late for your motor, but it's a courtesy that everyone tries to help. Although it doesn't happen very often, the circumstance of a vehicle running away or having a motor screaming does have significant consequences for the driver. I have to agree that more than likely it would be too late for your motor, but at the same time to have an inexperienced racer there would also not be a good solution to the situation.

If you are lucky, you might have someone there who could help end it. But having paid marshalls could be a good thing for most racers. Not having to marshall or having to deal with marshals not showing up. Sometimes I've seen some marshals run to their friends cars, and walk to get others up and around. Having paid marshals also takes that out of the equation. I remember recently that a big race covered in one of the magazines used paid marshals. It's just a option, but for me it would be nice. I've been on the track many times when other racers don't show up to marshal and you end up covering more ground.

When we race, it usually doesn't happen very often when we encounter a runaway. Also, since I'm getting my g/f's son involved it would be nice for me if I didn't have to marshal or have him on the track marshalling so that we could do other things like prep or strategy. Also, if you like to run more than one class, it would be bit easier to get ready and do well too.

But you are right about losing the motor, a few seconds can be the difference.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

I agree about having more time to prep your car. I have no problem with paying marshals. It's paying marshals that are inexperienced in this hobby to handle your car when you rely on seconds. It's probably something that a young boy scout could learn very easily. But I'd rather pay someone who has at least a little experience. Heck, they could even watch one race and learn what to do. Then they could hire them for the next race. I'd be up for that. But for someone whose never seen a race and are seeing it for the first time that day? No way Jose.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Yup, paying someone with a little experience instead of no experience would be good. It also could provide a racer who is a little tight on money the opprotunity to make some money to help with expenses too. I just like the idea, though I agree with having someone with experience would be even better.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

There is a few drawbacks, inexperienced at handleing rc's, ROAR insurance,

There is probably more advantages,
Possibility of bringing new people into the hobby.
Youth have quik reflexes= car marshalled faster
Impartial marshalling
You have more time to work on your car.
Marshalls in place even before warm up starts. While your still takeing your gear back to the pits.

It wouldn't take much time to train a group of new marshalls on car handleing and engine shut down.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ran a worlds that attempted to use marshals that had no RC experience. It was a total failure. The guys couldn't even put the cars on the track facing the right direction. I would really prefer racers out there. At least they know what's going on.