R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   MRX4-R or MRX4X or WAIT ??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/284380-mrx4-r-mrx4x-wait.html)

BigC2007 03-23-2009 11:11 AM

MRX4-R or MRX4X or WAIT ???

Hey Mungen Bro's

I have long been in love with my MRX4-R from the first time putting on the track intill this passed weekend. But after all the talk on and good reviews on the MRX4X I was thinking of retiring my "R" and buying a new or very good used MRX4X. The only thing I need to know is the X way better then the R because I know some that own the R has made statements that the R is easier to drive then the X and trust me I could only dream of being as good as Ron C and the rest of you guys that are driving the X and tearing up tracks ! also should I spend all my money on getting a X now or wait and see if Mugen dont come out with a new car by the end of the year ? Any feedback will be of great help and thanks in advance.

p.s anyone have a new built kit or very good rolling X chassis for sale ? PM me.

wingracer 03-23-2009 11:17 AM

If you want to try an X, there are only a handful of parts you would really need. I'm actually running an X with a couple R parts on it. If you are really happy with the car you have, stick with it but maybe pick up the X uprights and scrub spacers to give you one more available adjustment. Rumor is we will have a new car before the end of the year.

Roelof 03-23-2009 11:35 AM

I am running an R with some old MRX4 rear suspension parts making it close to an X
For an avarage racer I think all cars will feel the same, for sure an X will not make you a top driver.

If you are up to something new then yes, go for an X.

wingracer 03-23-2009 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 5586496)
I am running an R with some old MRX4 rear suspension parts making it close to an X
For an avarage racer I think all cars will feel the same, for sure an X will not make you a top driver.

If you are up to something new then yes, go for an X.

Sounds like you are running close to my old car. It's an original 4 with R bulkheads, eccentrics, rear upper arms and front shock tower. I really like that car. The new car is an X with R eccentrics and front shock tower (I really like the R tower up front).

BigC2007 03-23-2009 12:00 PM

Hey Wingracers thanks again for your help bro you always give me some good info and thanks also Roelof for your input. Again I love my R but from what I seen the X is faster in turns and also I been told has better braking so that is why I was thinking of geting an X but I can hold on for a while and see if Mugen does come out with a new car soon or if not maybe then maybe I can find a good roller for sale.

wingracer 03-23-2009 12:06 PM

The only difference between an X and an R on the brakes is the X has a shorter arm on the brake cam. I'm sure that arm is pretty cheap if you want to change it out. Or you could probably just drill another hole in the old one and cut off the excess.

BigC2007 03-23-2009 12:30 PM

Wingraces I will give that a try. Thanks

BigC2007 03-23-2009 08:22 PM

Thanks for all those who replied.

bigredspeed 03-24-2009 01:37 AM

if you have the 4R, then the brake lever already comes with the extra inner hole for you to change the leverage point. i changed it when i first noticed the X came out and tried it on the R and the brakes felt better.
cheers

asw7576 03-24-2009 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5586631)
The only difference between an X and an R on the brakes is the X has a shorter arm on the brake cam. I'm sure that arm is pretty cheap if you want to change it out. Or you could probably just drill another hole in the old one and cut off the excess.

You should add more info ;) for him :

The height of rear uprights are different ..... R is taller, while X is shorter.

The main chassis, bulkheads, centax clutch, graphite rear shock tower are different too.

Just my opinions to give another chance for mrx4R to fight .... :

1. X rear uprights
2. X brake lever
3. Shorten rear upper link , and use 1mm shim for camber rise initial position.
4. Shorten wheelbase by DIY.

BigC2007 03-24-2009 06:02 AM

BigRedSpeed and asw7576 thanks bro's for that info , some great 411.

Ron C. 03-24-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BigC2007 (Post 5586408)
Hey Mungen Bro's

I have long been in love with my MRX4-R from the first time putting on the track intill this passed weekend. But after all the talk on and good reviews on the MRX4X I was thinking of retiring my "R" and buying a new or very good used MRX4X. The only thing I need to know is the X way better then the R because I know some that own the R has made statements that the R is easier to drive then the X and trust me I could only dream of being as good as Ron C and the rest of you guys that are driving the X and tearing up tracks ! also should I spend all my money on getting a X now or wait and see if Mugen dont come out with a new car by the end of the year ? Any feedback will be of great help and thanks in advance.

p.s anyone have a new built kit or very good rolling X chassis for sale ? PM me.

First of all, thanks for the props Big C!

Second, I agree with the guys. Unless you're looking to go out and get a brand new car kit (just because), I would stay with your current car and upgrade it the X parts. It's fairly easy and inexpensive.

See you at the Kamikaze Race soon.

BigC2007 03-24-2009 10:47 AM

Thanks again Ron C and I will do just that upgrade to some X parts , now should I convert my R into a X or just change a few parts ? and if you Ron or anyone can give me a lilst of part #'s on what to change on my R that would be great .

Thanks again for all your help.

wingracer 03-24-2009 11:07 AM

ASW, I didn't mention the other parts because I was just talking about the brakes. As for the other stuff, yes you will need a bunch of other stuff for a full X upgrade but they are all optional. Many people (including team guys) still use a lot of R parts on their X's. I use the R front tower, lots of people are going back to the R rear uprights, etc.

Ron C. 03-24-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigC2007 (Post 5591462)
Thanks again Ron C and I will do just that upgrade to some X parts , now should I convert my R into a X or just change a few parts ? and if you Ron or anyone can give me a lilst of part #'s on what to change on my R that would be great .

Thanks again for all your help.

Clinton, here are the parts you need to convert to an "X" car:

H0136-B Rear Upper Arm
H0140-B Rear Upright
H0148-B Front Bulkhead
H0149-B Rear Bulkhead
H0188 Eccentric Hub
H0189 Upright Spacer
H0190 Brake Bracket
H0191 Rear Lower Arm Mount
H0374 Battery Holder FRP
H0466-B Rear Body Mount
H0475 Chassis
H0560 Front Damper Stay
H0561 Rear Damper Stay
H0562 Damper Case
H0571 Damper Parts
H0780 Clutch set for MRX-4X
H0858 Ball Link 6mm (S)

As Sean mentioned, some guys are using some "R" parts like Rear Uprights, etc... They can be interchangeable for tuning options and preference depending on track conditions. For what it's worth, (except for the Eccentrics) my car is a complete "X". I use the Eccentrics from the "R" with Part #T0154

Also, to keep your cost down, if your current chassis is straight and not tweaked whatsoever, you can still retain that for now. Change that later on if needed.