R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   What temperature do you run in cold weather(winter)? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/28428-what-temperature-do-you-run-cold-weather-winter.html)

dino.tw 11-28-2003 07:40 AM

What temperature do you run in cold weather(winter)?

What temperature do you run in cold weather(winter)?
Same with summer season?

CutePig 11-28-2003 08:33 AM

running colder in winter of course otherwise the lubrication is not enough.

Corse-R 11-28-2003 01:23 PM

Depends....

With temps between 5 and 15ºC I'll struggle to not going over 75-85ºC, the cold air cools too much the engine and gives you false readings. And people starts to lean it

Between 15 & 25ºC I'm pretty confortable between 95 & 105, 110ºC as maximum.

Over 25ºC is happy hour time, but I tune mine engines by ear and check the temperature only to assure myself that nothing is wrong there, doesn't matter if to go happy needs to go at 115 or 140ºC, each engine is a world apart and each one needs a different temperature. I have one engine that 'awakens' when temp reach 130ºC, under this temperature is a lemon.

Have seen one engine running happily at 150ºC.... each one is different. And the fuel you use makes a difference too.

dino.tw 12-01-2003 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Corse-R
Depends....

With temps between 5 and 15ºC I'll struggle to not going over 75-85ºC, the cold air cools too much the engine and gives you false readings. And people starts to lean it

Over 25ºC is happy hour time, but I tune mine engines by ear and check the temperature only to assure myself that nothing is wrong there, doesn't matter if to go happy needs to go at 115 or 140ºC, each engine is a world apart and each one needs a different temperature. I have one engine that 'awakens' when temp reach 130ºC, under this temperature is a lemon.

Have seen one engine running happily at 150ºC.... each one is different. And the fuel you use makes a difference too.

Thanks Corse-R.
Many people damage their engines when the weather is more and more cold now. They usual run their engine about 120-130C during summer. But when the season enter winter now,they still run it at about 120-130C. The engine will wear fast due to not enough lubrication. There are several parts die first.
1)Conrod bushing.(worn seriously)
2)Crankpin.(worn seriously)
3)Conrod and Crank.(When the engine is too lean,they may be broken if the engine CAN fly to 40k+ rpm!)

Just want to warn all racers no matter which engine's fans. As you know that the engine is very expensive. :nod: :smile:

dino.tw 12-01-2003 04:31 PM

When the weather is very cold,I will use small heat sink. Not big one.:batman:

corvettecrazy 12-03-2003 04:08 PM

in the past I have tuned by the amount of smoke/exhaust that comes out but is it just me or does the exhaust smoke seem to diminish when it gets cold out? since I have a .15FE (crappy I know) the colder temps are nice because it takes longer for it to overheat!:D

Corse-R : would you mind putting those temps in ºF...?

ALSO: if I decide to not run all winter what is the best way to store a sub-C glow plug ignitor???

fmolzer 12-03-2003 10:26 PM

Originally posted by corvettecrazy
in the past I have tuned by the amount of smoke/exhaust that comes out but is it just me or does the exhaust smoke seem to diminish when it gets cold out? since I have a .15FE (crappy I know) the colder temps are nice because it takes longer for it to overheat!:D

ALSO: if I decide to not run all winter what is the best way to store a sub-C glow plug ignitor???

On the ignitor thingy: Depends on your battery. If NiCad, disharge it and store it. You may want to cycle it once every other month (fully charge-disharge) If NiMh battery, leave it with about a 40-50% charge in it.

sparksy 12-03-2003 11:12 PM

Colder air is more dense than hot air. As such, the same needle settings will lean out the engine as temp drops.

Cold air requires more fuel to keep the mixture right...
More fuel means more lube and lower temps...

Corse-R is on the money. Below 20-25 deg ambient temp dont try and chace the same engine temps you run at 30+ deg.

corvette... google "conversion" you will have you answer alot sooner!

Diesel Racer 12-04-2003 12:15 PM

Originally posted by corvettecrazy

°C x 9 divide by 5 + 32 = °F

Example, 35°C x 9 =315 divide by 5 = 63 + 32 = 95°F

Hope that helps ;) :)

Speed De 12-04-2003 01:34 PM

Not really on topic but do you guys have experience with RB Concept fuel and Tornado. Can you tell me which one is better in term of power and maybe better lubrication?

Corse-R 12-04-2003 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Speed De
Not really on topic but do you guys have experience with RB Concept fuel and Tornado. Can you tell me which one is better in term of power and maybe better lubrication?
Are very different, RB is a formula with much more Castor oil than Tornado, who is a mainly Synthetic oil formula.

RB Fuel has an 8% of oil, Tornado has more... about 10 or 11%.

dino.tw 12-06-2003 10:34 PM

WATCH OUT!

PUSH!:D

I just break one .21.:mad:
I have an unlimited desire for more.:blush:

Gped0124 12-07-2003 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Corse-R
Depends....

If my conversions are correct, how the heck do you run anything below 100C? I cannot get my mt-12 below 110 even in summer weather. No where near 130 in cold weather...

Corse-R 12-07-2003 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Gped0124
If my conversions are correct, how the heck do you run anything below 100C? I cannot get my mt-12 below 110 even in summer weather. No where near 130 in cold weather...
I tell you 'mine' secret. Found that about 90% of people runs with the low-end needle too lean and this helps to overheat the engine. Think that when you release throttle and the engine spools down revolutions, he NEEDS the very little quantity of fuel he receives to keep it running, but this fuel helps to cool the engine those precious seconds you're off-throttle.

Many people wrongly adjust the punch of their engines leaning the low-end needle too much, rather than using the clutch adjustment and the gearing, make yourself a favor, as a starter, open 1/4 to 1/2 turn your low-end needle and correct the situation adjusting your clutch, you will see how your temperatures go lower. Probably you find you can lean the high end needle some little more without running into dangerous temperatures.

And if you see on 15 to 25ºC temps I go between 90 to 110ºC, when temps go higher I let the engine raise their temp and adjust the carburation by ear and eye rather than with the temp gun (see the smoke trail of your engine leaves behind your car) and learn to hear your engine, surely you will improve your carb adjustments, but is a slightly steep path to learn. All depends how much dexterity you have doing carb adjustments.

corvettecrazy 12-07-2003 02:55 PM

what kind of plugs are the best in the cold weather?

i'm running a .15FE (pittiful engine I know)