Which Radio?

Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you don't mind 27 mhz FM then get it from www.rc-mushroom.com

If you have questions, just email them they are super cool...ask for King and tell him I referred ya.

Gary
Old 12-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

2 more nice features about 3PK that I did not see in this thread earlier: 1: You can use the hitec synthesized mudule, it drops right in and works with PCM and PPM (sure was a relief for me)
2. They have this really nice memory card slot, so you can expand your model memory wih 10 more models. This is great for back-up of your settings. Think: on happy hour in the morning before your main at Nats, you drop your 3PK from the drivers stand, it atomizes as it reaches the concrete pit row below. Since you were smart and stored all your settings on this little memory card that you can buy on ebay for about 15 USD, you can go to a local hobbystore, buy a new 3PK, plug your card in and be EXACTLY where your old radio was.

On the comment about the weight, I also thought that it was heavy, especially topheavy when I first felt it. After dropping down the wheel and extending the antenna though, I thought it felt really well balanced.

My advice?

Get one....
Old 12-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
1: You can use the hitec synthesized mudule, it drops right in and works with PCM and PPM (sure was a relief for me)
I think somebody asked this before at the 705 thread (Que ) and asked if he could use the Novak synthesized modules as the receiver unit is huge on the limited receiver space on board the 705... So the Hitec one fits?

2. They have this really nice memory card slot, so you can expand your model memory wih 10 more models. This is great for back-up of your settings. Think: on happy hour in the morning before your main at Nats, you drop your 3PK from the drivers stand, it atomizes as it reaches the concrete pit row below. Since you were smart and stored all your settings on this little memory card that you can buy on ebay for about 15 USD, you can go to a local hobbystore, buy a new 3PK, plug your card in and be EXACTLY where your old radio was.
Cool. That would be the worst worst case scenario for backup. Heck, I would be too dissapointed if my 3PK broke in the first place, let alone go out, get one and reload the backup !

On the comment about the weight, I also thought that it was heavy, especially topheavy when I first felt it. After dropping down the wheel and extending the antenna though, I thought it felt really well balanced.
Yes, the 3PK feels pretty balanced with the antenae extended and I actually did not complain about the weight. Well, perhaps I should go into longer mains to really feel it but it's just that my driving skills does not permit it. That said, I did not like the position of dropping down the wheel on the 3PK because my left hand throttle index finger somehow got in the way with the back of the wheel extender module... Some of my personal experiences for what it's worth...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
I think somebody asked this before at the 705 thread (Que ) and asked if he could use the Novak synthesized modules as the receiver unit is huge on the limited receiver space on board the 705... So the Hitec one fits?

The Hitec module fits right in where the normal Tx chrystal sits. If you dremel away a small plastic ridge on the 3PK, you can change channel without pulling the module out. It works with my FM Novak Xtra Rx as well as my PCM Futaba Rx:s, (PCM being the main reason whey I bought the 3PK in the first place)
Old 12-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Default Yes I did

I Asked if anyone has the novak synthesized reciever on their 705. Now my new question is, what are the measurement differences between the Hitec and the Novak synthesized recievers? Are the close to the Airtronics M8 Standard blue receiver. That seems to be the one that fits best. And then will it fit a 710 scince i am building one right now!!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

found this servo programmer on the internet. who owns one?
servo programmer
Old 12-07-2003, 08:39 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by penggoy
found this servo programmer on the internet. who owns one?
servo programmer
Servo break in.....now I've heard it all!!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Why, servo break-in is standard procedure for me, I also break in my shocktowers, my fuel bottle and the all important fuel lines (buy a small pump and circulate 20% nitro fuel @ about 100 degrees F for at least 20 minutes to allow the fuel to flow with less resistance once the tubing is installed in the car).

Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default jr-1

JR's R-1 features a 128 x 64 dot matrix LCD screen with over 8000 points. This allows the display of easy-to-read graphs and function screens, making it simple for racers to adjust throttle curves, brake curves, steering rates, exponential, etc.

Five digital trims are intelligently located in easy-to-reach places, even while driving, and are fully programmable as to their function. Trim positions are stored in memory when the R-1 is turned off, so there's no need to worry about steering trim settings after each heat.

You'd think all of these advanced features would draw more current, but the R-1 is very energy efficient. NiCds go for nearly three hours on a charge, while alkalines last for over 7 ˝ hours.

The R-1 comes with JR's R200 FM or R330 PCM receivers. Both 1 3/8" x 7/8" x 1" receivers weighs just .6 of an ounce - making them JR's smallest competition receivers ever! The R200 & R330 features JR's patented ABC&W technology for interference - free operation.

Each of five digital trims can be programmed to one of seven functions (static brake, panic brake, steering dual rate, steering trim, ABS swing, ABS point, or AUX 3 channel). Digital trim positions can be displayed both digitally and graphically on a sliding bar graph on the information screen.

Two switches can be programmed to select idle up (gas car start up), differing throttle/brake curves, differing steering rate/expo curves, ABS braking and servo speeds.

Dual rates and exponential can be selected and are graphically displayed on the screen. Two dual rate/expo rates can be programmed and selected with a switch. Exponential, normally used to reduce sensitivity around the neutral steering position, is easy to see with the graphic display.

Sub-trim allows the servos' centers to be adjusted.

Right and left travel adjust is independently adjustable on all channels.

Quick throttle eliminates the dead band area where the brakes first start to come in, versus where the throttle first starts to come in. This is especially noticeable when a lot of static brake is used.

Trim rates are fully programmable.

Idle up advances the throttle for start up. The throttle position and activation switch are fully programmable.

A 5-point throttle curve and a 5-point brake curve are fully programmable, allowing the precise tailoring of throttle/brake feel. Each curve is graphically displayed, and two curves can be programmed. You can graphically set the 9-point programmable throttle/brake curve to adjust throttle and brake responses to match the motor and track conditions.

Servo speed, throttle and steering are fully programmable. Speed can even be independently adjusted in either direction (e.g., turing away from center and returning to center).

Three types of modulation are available: PPM (FM), ZPCM (512 PCM) and SPCM (1024).

The Advanced Braking System (ABS) pulse brake is the most advanced braking system available, offering six different user-adjustable parameters. The frequency (pattern) and amplitude (swing) of the pulse can be adjusted. A delay can be programmed in so that pulse braking occurs after a given time. The brake position at which pulse braking begins to function can be programmed, and pulse brakes can be turned on/off via one of two programmable switches. Steering mix can be adjusted to give more pulse braking when turning, and is fully programmable.

The R-1 features the most sophisticated timer available. An up-timer, down-timer and lap timer are programmable. The lap timer records up to 100 laps and displays each lap, best lap and average lap (continually updated). An auto start feature can be programmed to automatically start the timer when trigger is pulled. An alarm will sound at the desired pre-set time, signaling the end of the race/practice session. A navigation system allows a beeper to be pre-set for a specific lap time, allowing the driver to see how close he comes to the ideal pre-set time.

The R-1 can store up to 10 models and their trim position in memory. Each model can be named with up to 8 characters.

An expert or beginner program can be selected in Tx mode. To avoid confusion, Beginner Mode reduces the programming options to the basics, while Expert mode includes all advanced features.

Two programmable mixes are available.

A transfer function allows the transferring of memory from one R-1 to another, or from one modelmemory to another. The buzzer tone can be varied: Aux 3 channel activated/inhibited: switch poistion warning advanced/inhibited: digital trim displayed on the intial screen turned on.off.

Compatible with JR's DataSafe™, a revolutionary convenience in radio control technology. The PC interface software allows drivers to interface their radio with their Windows 95/98 or NT systems to store an infinite number of models. DataSafe can also save up to 200 models on a standard 3.5" floppy disk. You can even now exchange and e-mail model settings to your driving partner or to any driver across cyberspace who has the DataSafe™ system and your type of transmitter.

A DSC cord allows the radio/servos to be operated without transmitting.

A display switch allows the computer to be turned on and programmed without transmitting.

Pulg-in modules allow for easy band changes (eg., 27 MHz or 75 MHz).
Old 12-09-2003, 04:20 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Why, servo break-in is standard procedure for me, I also break in my shocktowers, my fuel bottle and the all important fuel lines (buy a small pump and circulate 20% nitro fuel @ about 100 degrees F for at least 20 minutes to allow the fuel to flow with less resistance once the tubing is installed in the car).

do you apply telfon coating onto the inside of the fuel tubing during its break in also??
Old 12-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: jr-1

Originally posted by r12 schumacher
JR's R-1 features a 128 x 64 dot matrix LCD screen with over 8000 points. This allows the display of easy-to-read graphs and function screens, making it simple for racers to adjust throttle curves, brake curves, steering rates, exponential, etc.

Five digital trims are intelligently located in easy-to-reach places, even while driving, and are fully programmable as to their function. Trim positions are stored in memory when the R-1 is turned off, so there's no need to worry about steering trim settings after each heat.

You'd think all of these advanced features would draw more current, but the R-1 is very energy efficient. NiCds go for nearly three hours on a charge, while alkalines last for over 7 ˝ hours.

The R-1 comes with JR's R200 FM or R330 PCM receivers. Both 1 3/8" x 7/8" x 1" receivers weighs just .6 of an ounce - making them JR's smallest competition receivers ever! The R200 & R330 features JR's patented ABC&W technology for interference - free operation.

Each of five digital trims can be programmed to one of seven functions (static brake, panic brake, steering dual rate, steering trim, ABS swing, ABS point, or AUX 3 channel). Digital trim positions can be displayed both digitally and graphically on a sliding bar graph on the information screen.

Two switches can be programmed to select idle up (gas car start up), differing throttle/brake curves, differing steering rate/expo curves, ABS braking and servo speeds.

Dual rates and exponential can be selected and are graphically displayed on the screen. Two dual rate/expo rates can be programmed and selected with a switch. Exponential, normally used to reduce sensitivity around the neutral steering position, is easy to see with the graphic display.

Sub-trim allows the servos' centers to be adjusted.

Right and left travel adjust is independently adjustable on all channels.

Quick throttle eliminates the dead band area where the brakes first start to come in, versus where the throttle first starts to come in. This is especially noticeable when a lot of static brake is used.

Trim rates are fully programmable.

Idle up advances the throttle for start up. The throttle position and activation switch are fully programmable.

A 5-point throttle curve and a 5-point brake curve are fully programmable, allowing the precise tailoring of throttle/brake feel. Each curve is graphically displayed, and two curves can be programmed. You can graphically set the 9-point programmable throttle/brake curve to adjust throttle and brake responses to match the motor and track conditions.

Servo speed, throttle and steering are fully programmable. Speed can even be independently adjusted in either direction (e.g., turing away from center and returning to center).

Three types of modulation are available: PPM (FM), ZPCM (512 PCM) and SPCM (1024).

The Advanced Braking System (ABS) pulse brake is the most advanced braking system available, offering six different user-adjustable parameters. The frequency (pattern) and amplitude (swing) of the pulse can be adjusted. A delay can be programmed in so that pulse braking occurs after a given time. The brake position at which pulse braking begins to function can be programmed, and pulse brakes can be turned on/off via one of two programmable switches. Steering mix can be adjusted to give more pulse braking when turning, and is fully programmable.

The R-1 features the most sophisticated timer available. An up-timer, down-timer and lap timer are programmable. The lap timer records up to 100 laps and displays each lap, best lap and average lap (continually updated). An auto start feature can be programmed to automatically start the timer when trigger is pulled. An alarm will sound at the desired pre-set time, signaling the end of the race/practice session. A navigation system allows a beeper to be pre-set for a specific lap time, allowing the driver to see how close he comes to the ideal pre-set time.

The R-1 can store up to 10 models and their trim position in memory. Each model can be named with up to 8 characters.

An expert or beginner program can be selected in Tx mode. To avoid confusion, Beginner Mode reduces the programming options to the basics, while Expert mode includes all advanced features.

Two programmable mixes are available.

A transfer function allows the transferring of memory from one R-1 to another, or from one modelmemory to another. The buzzer tone can be varied: Aux 3 channel activated/inhibited: switch poistion warning advanced/inhibited: digital trim displayed on the intial screen turned on.off.

Compatible with JR's DataSafe™, a revolutionary convenience in radio control technology. The PC interface software allows drivers to interface their radio with their Windows 95/98 or NT systems to store an infinite number of models. DataSafe can also save up to 200 models on a standard 3.5" floppy disk. You can even now exchange and e-mail model settings to your driving partner or to any driver across cyberspace who has the DataSafe™ system and your type of transmitter.

A DSC cord allows the radio/servos to be operated without transmitting.

A display switch allows the computer to be turned on and programmed without transmitting.

Pulg-in modules allow for easy band changes (eg., 27 MHz or 75 MHz).
Not to thrash the R-1 (good radio) but is there anything on this list that a 3PK can not do ? 3PK also has the high response mode and is, in my opinion more ergonomic...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by dtm
do you apply telfon coating onto the inside of the fuel tubing during its break in also??
Good thinking ! I have to try it ! On the next kit I buy, I have decided to break in the screws and nuts as well by installing all of them into an old car and run it around the parkinglot for 20 minutes. You can never be too serious about break in....
Old 12-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
If you get an external failsafe, DO NOT buy the Venom version. Everyone I know that bought one, including myself, had it fail.
what do you mean by fail using venom failsafe? I've just installed the venom failsafe on my new rx that came with KO helios and when I switch off the transmitter the fail safe puts the throttle servo to braking position (the way I want it to).

this is what I also found out: I can use JR R133 receiver on KO helios tx as long as both the rx and tx have the same JR crystals. It doesnt work if I use KO crystals on KO tx and JR rx. I wish KO will have a new synthesized module soon!
Old 12-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My venom inexplicably stop working for no apparent reason. The other venon in my friend's car worked for a short time before frying his servo. I don't know why they are failing, just that they are and if you ask me, fork over the few extra bucks and a little wait for a genuine Futaba or KO version.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
My venom inexplicably stop working for no apparent reason. The other venon in my friend's car worked for a short time before frying his servo. I don't know why they are failing, just that they are and if you ask me, fork over the few extra bucks and a little wait for a genuine Futaba or KO version.
hmmm better change my failsafe before it fries my servo. Is this "fries" only happens on KO receivers or any receivers that uses KO helios transmitter? What mah rating of batteries are you using on your transmitter?

Oh and btw I forgot to mention, using venom failsafe and I turn off my transmitter it's not just the brake engages but the steering wheel turns to right as well. Dunno why.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.