R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Whatever he said... IT TQ'ed
Yeah, but he could TQ with a brick and square tires.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy who?
He ran it yesterday in Toledo. He said it was........nahh I'll let him explain it.
Yeah, how did he put it.............

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #122
Tech Master

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I took a family day to go with the girls to Cedar Point!! It was a good time and now I can get to the V10!!

I wasn't able to run the V10 last weekend but I did this weekend. I started off with about 4-5 tanks of practice just trying to get the car on the track and a feel for it. Initially, the car had a ton of steering which I tried to settle down a bit as it still had the set-up on it from being run in Germany.

The first qualifier, it was still a little on the loose side but it was mainly from an error on my part - I had turned some more toe in the rear of the car which tightened the pivot ball threads into the roll bar linkage . I fixed that for the second round and made a few other changes and was able to run a 15 5:05 which I think was a fairly good time for the track conditions. I always base the track speed off the other local drivers there running and I figure I was maybe 5-7 seconds off the pace that I know is fast enough to run at least in the top 3 for the GLC and ROAR Nats.

I practiced before the 3rd round with more changes and the car was definatly better but in the 3rd round, running the same set of tires for all the qualifiers and several tanks of practice finally caught up with me as the car was bottoming out a lot and I was loosing pace as the heat progressed. I made a stupid mistake trying to push to make up the difference and ended up crashing and breaking the front axle - Just so everyone knows - The axle I broke was a prototype as it had both the holes for universals and the slot for the dog bone. What happened was when I hit the inside board, it turned the wheel further and caught the shaft of the universal in the slot of the axle and broke a chunk out of the axle which cause the universal to fall out. Production only has universal holes and they will sell optional dog bones and axles for the rear (not the front I believe).

In the final, I took off and pulled out a good lead when the car started to get a little loose on me. We were out of the tires I ran in qualifying so I ran some softer ones and I think they overheated. I backed off a little and then it was ok but I had a crash with Mr. McSquish coming out of the pits and then again with Andy Power which again killed the front axle...lol...

After racing, I had a chance to try some more with different shock positions and springs. The car was immediatly more stable, more grip and much more precise to drive. I had picked up .2-.3 on my fastest lap and was .3-.5 faster on an average lap!! I would say in the 2nd to last practice run (I ran about 4-5 tanks after racing) was the best and I would easily put that against my Xray car from last year in the same track conditions. I'm sure it would have been a 16 lap run which would have been a great pace for the day.

The car drives more like my Kyosho car would at times when it was really good. It has really good steering and can "set" the nose into the corner well. In Toledo, we have the long "cross town" sweeper through the center of the track with a hairpin at the end that the car would really dive into nicely. Also, like the Kyosho I didn't have to run a super soft front tire (like the Xray does) to make it turn. The great part is though, it has a super light transmission so it accelerates as good as the Xray and the brakes are REDICULOS!!...lol... I knew they were good in the 1/8 car but being able to lock up all 4 tires at full throttle on the back straight is nuts...lol... I turned the brakes way down and probably still had a little too much. Patrick and Alex suggested trimming the brake pad size until it had a good balance which I didn't do as I wanted to see how strong they were...lol...

It's impressive to think that the car I ran is still using the rapid prototype arms and parts all over it. I think that just the addition of the injection molded parts being stiffer and more stable will improve the car even further. It also still had an Xray tank in it which sits a lot higher in the car than the production tank will so I can't wait to get the Shepherd tank here!! I know with a little more practice and testing the car has a lot more potential left in it so for the first day with the car I am quite pleased. It has a lot of steering naturally so I am really looking forward to the production car and seeing what we can do at the GLC and ROAR Nationals!!

I'm going to clean the car up a bit and get ready for the MWS #4 this weekend in Cinci. Should be a good test on a different track than my home track.

Stefan - In no way, shape, form or fashion is this car a "dud". Even after only 1 day with the car I will gladly take it to any track against any other cars out there - even in prototype form. I'm sure you think it's bs because I am sponsored, etc but it's truely the best of both worlds between the Kyosho and Xray into 1 car in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #123
Tech Apprentice

Josh great to hear you had a good time with the car, and that you find it to be up there with the V1 and NT1.

I guess the guys that hit you knew your weakest point They accomplished what they looked for

Any news on when its out in production? Shepherd's website still does not have any info on it. If they make the price even more competitive against the V1RRR, 733, NT1 and G4RSII it could possible make a lot of people switch cars I believe.

How easy is to clean the car? remove parts to swap?
sebtarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #124
Tech Master

Both Scott and Andy are good friends and it was just racing stuff that happened. I came out of the pits behind Scott and was just going to follow him through the corners onto the straight when he suddenly slowed to let me go and we just smacked sides. Andy took over the lead with this and I was running right behind him when his car got loose at the end of the straight and I hit his spinning car...lol..

Depending on production and delays, I know the date is not set yet. I know they origionally hoped for sometime in July but I think now they are looking at more around end of August, mainly because everyone from the office will be in Lostallo for the WC and we will loose 2 weeks of kit/parts packaging.

I wish the kit pricing was a bit lower but there's a lot of new investment with this car with molds and parts. I think though that there's a lot of good features and performance value that will still win over customers out there.

I don't know if you have seen or worked on the V8 before but the layout is very similar and it is easy to work on. Belt changes are fairly quick and everything is easy to access without having to disassemble a lot of the car to make changes or replace parts. To give you an idea on build time, I put together a V8 from kit to finished in about 4 1/2-5 hours. Radio gear, battery, engine/clutch and pipe in the car under 7 hours. Typically a rebuild for the finals (check bearings/parts and change belts) only takes me about 45minutes to an hour. Again, everything is easy to access so it's quick to take a look to check it and put it back together.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #125
Tech Apprentice

hey as they say, "If you ain't rubbin' you ain't racin'"

I never saw the V8, only pictures.
sebtarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #126
Tech Regular

Scott is right.... Josh could TQ with a brick and square tires. I'll be curious to see the car in production form... it has some really innovative features and looks like it would be easy to work on.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #127
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Josh,

Can you tell us what kind of batteries this car uses, I'm a little curious
as the space looked awfully tight from the pics posted before.

Vasilis
Vasilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #128
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Andy took over the lead with this and I was running right behind him when his car got loose at the end of the straight and I hit his spinning car
You monster hack!!! Next time I'll get you!! ....And another thing, what time do you want me to pick you up Friday to head down to Cinci??
Andy who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
I backed off a little and then it was ok but I had a crash with Mr. McSquish coming out of the pits
I slowed so you could get by because I was afraid of you doing a fly-by as you passed me on the straight blowing my doors off..........

The design of the car does have some cool ideas, can't wait to see a production car.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #130
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilis View Post
Hey Josh,

Can you tell us what kind of batteries this car uses, I'm a little curious
as the space looked awfully tight from the pics posted before.

Vasilis
It's a 2000mah Li-Ion 7,4V.You can get 1.5-2h of racing out of this pack!!
seb1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #131
Tech Master

Thanks seb1109 - Come to think about it, I took the car home from Germany and never charged the pack all day in Toledo...lol.. The battery definatly lasts a while as I probably ran 1:15 on it or more Sunday....

Andy - LOL.... Dunno, what time are you picking me up (so I can subtract 30 minutes and know when to start packing up!! )

Scott -
Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #132
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1109 View Post
It's a 2000mah Li-Ion 7,4V.You can get 1.5-2h of racing out of this pack!!
WOW! That would be nice....... I haven't see Li-Ion before.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #133
Suspended

nice................
OILMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #134
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILMAN View Post
nice................
Daniele will diffinitive not run out of power during the finals
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #135
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,
today i will also let you know some things.
The battery can be a Li-Ion like seb told you, but for the production it will only be a 1800mAh 7,4.
But also a special 2/3A 5Cell 1600mAh pack will work in a special configuration.
Both will be available.

Daniele will run a preproduction car in Gubbio at the Euros.
All plastic is production type, all Aluminium will be the final parts, just not anodized.

As i stay in the company i will prepare one more car for the first photo shoot.

Also we will have some more tests next week to find the right kit setup and maybe some points to change.

Alex
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote