Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
On-Road Eng. break in >

On-Road Eng. break in

On-Road Eng. break in

Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default On-Road Eng. break in

I have broken in many off road engines. However never an on road any differences. Tips and suggestions are appreciated thanks. It's a Picco Evo2
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php

One of the guys i race with did my engine for me this way.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Renault_Tech
http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php

One of the guys i race with did my engine for me this way.
Yes, this was the way for a while, but now the newer way is:
http://murnanmodified.com/breakin.php

The whole point is to keep the engine up in temp and then raise it and lower it within a range, so the piston forms to the sleeve.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

vlad, you didn't blow a rod out on the vz-r did you? Mine did. I got a GRP to replace it.
Tim
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

the other thing is I replace the connecting rod after break in, in fact I use a "break in" rod then replace it. What a break in rod is one that I use to break in 3 motors then toss it. When I get a new motor, I take the new one out, put in the break in rod, break in the motor, then put in the new rod. Yes, this work, but what you do not want to do is stress the rod. The other way you do this is to heat up the motor before starting it when breaking it in. A lot of stress is placed on the rod and pin on the crank when the motor is new and cold. The other thing you need to remember you what less "pinch" in an on-road motor then an off-road motor. We are looking for higher RPM in on-road, and you are not on the low end of the motor as much as you are in off-road. Less pinch allows the motor to rev and the pipes and clutches are design for this operating range. Your clutch settings are VERY important, and if you know this sorry I'm not trying to insult you.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by got2bqik
vlad, you didn't blow a rod out on the vz-r did you? Mine did. I got a GRP to replace it.
Tim
LMAO I don't know what happened I was to mad to take the backplate off. I took the head off and looked down at the piston and saw metal so something gave. I have an extra con rod which makes me mad.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bvoltz
the other thing is I replace the connecting rod after break in, in fact I use a "break in" rod then replace it. What a break in rod is one that I use to break in 3 motors then toss it. When I get a new motor, I take the new one out, put in the break in rod, break in the motor, then put in the new rod. Yes, this work, but what you do not want to do is stress the rod. The other way you do this is to heat up the motor before starting it when breaking it in. A lot of stress is placed on the rod and pin on the crank when the motor is new and cold. The other thing you need to remember you what less "pinch" in an on-road motor then an off-road motor. We are looking for higher RPM in on-road, and you are not on the low end of the motor as much as you are in off-road. Less pinch allows the motor to rev and the pipes and clutches are design for this operating range. Your clutch settings are VERY important, and if you know this sorry I'm not trying to insult you.
I appreciate all advice. Thanks