Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3 rally car? possable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

OK Mika time for you to post a video......
Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Would be nice but I got no camera man around.. sorry. Today it would have been great, I thought about it!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

Just set the camera on something and put it in the frame..... or if you got an Ipod (I have been thinking about this one...) tape it to the front of your remote... and where your remote is facing you will be filming!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Good ideas, thanks. I will look into it.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Side note I tried to rent dirt 3 but they didnt have any in stock anywhere close... how do you like the game? Is it still get to a point where its ridiculously hard?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

totaly possble throw on some rally tires some 200mm a arms and driveshafts and some new shocks and your are all set
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TIZAO
Side note I tried to rent dirt 3 but they didnt have any in stock anywhere close... how do you like the game? Is it still get to a point where its ridiculously hard?
haven't tried previous versions but this one is inspiring (single or net player mode, I like both)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

anything more come of this?
I decided the other day iw anted to build my bin of parts into a snow rally car for the winter if i could.
more to see if i had enough parts to complete a second car lol but offroad sounds fun too.

im probably going to make a undercover to cover up the drive train out of fiberglass/plastic to keep the transmission clear.
are the stock suspension arms long enough to get enough travel though?
thinking of modifying the stock shocks instead of buying new ones. seems the aftermarket shocks only add a small amount more travel, which could also be accomplished by trimming the plastic stopper inside the shock body. could probably get an extra 3/16 of travel without compromising the seal greatly.

i wanted to not spend any money on this, but looks like ill need to at LEAST buy one shock tower. i have a v2 tower but no v2 rear hubs lol. so either buy rear hubs, or a v1 shock tower to use all the v1 parts i have. lose/lose. though at least i can use the v2 parts in my racing ntc3 next year.. choices...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I changed the stock shock shafts to the longer ones and got a little more travel, but you are right it is not a huge difference. But it was cheap and it works plenty good on gravel and dirt! Loads of fun!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

what length springs did you use? i just tried to unscrew the eyelets a little bit to get more shock length, and threaded the preload collar all the way down. got about a finger width of ride height with onroad rubbers. so more with the knobbies prob? pushing the car down til it bottoms out still leaves 1/8 of travel on the shaft.

seems like any more down travel would cause problems with the steering arms.

ah well. cant do much more until i get some off road tires to try out. do 1/10th buggy tires fit onroad cars? lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by valk
what length springs did you use? i just tried to unscrew the eyelets a little bit to get more shock length, and threaded the preload collar all the way down. got about a finger width of ride height with onroad rubbers. so more with the knobbies prob? pushing the car down til it bottoms out still leaves 1/8 of travel on the shaft.

seems like any more down travel would cause problems with the steering arms.

ah well. cant do much more until i get some off road tires to try out. do 1/10th buggy tires fit onroad cars? lol.
I used these parts which were part of the rally car kit

The Team Associated TC3 Rally Kit shock shafts are part # 6461 and are .56" travel.
The front rally spring part # is 6494 and are Green springs.
The rear rally spring part # is 8232 and are Black springs.
Use #2 shock pistons in the front shocks.
Use #1 shock pistons in the rear.
Use 25w shock oil in all 4 shocks

I'd be interested to know if you are able to find a way to get more travel out of the arms though it seems to work as is with the bump stops out
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

I just backed the downstop screws out completely. I wonder what the point of longer shafts and springs is though. With stock shock bodies the travel would be the same unless you modify the inner guides ect.
Or use buggy shock bodies as your using buggy shafts/springs anyway. I guess more down reach. But threading the preload to the bottom allows the spring to compress fully and still get full piston travel.

Will be a bit before i get it going. Need to order tires/wheels ect and i
Might as well do a rally car body. Ill prob get buggy springs anyway just cause.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

so im looking at some hpi s compound rally tires but they dont come with foam inserts. do i want to use a 24mm onroad insert "which seems too thin" or a 1/10th buggy insert? or should i just get some sheets of foam to cut to length and stuff it in?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by valk
so im looking at some hpi s compound rally tires but they dont come with foam inserts. do i want to use a 24mm onroad insert "which seems too thin" or a 1/10th buggy insert? or should i just get some sheets of foam to cut to length and stuff it in?
I used the foams that came with some HPI X-patterns and it seems to work pretty well. I don't use them for onroad, I use the pre-molded red and green ones for onroad.

The HPI stock foams seemed to be firm enough for rally in my opinion.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

i ordered a set of medium/soft foams as i couldnt find any grey type foams. no big deal though. just a toy. getting d compount rally tires cause they cheap.

couldnt help myself today though. put some 28r slicks on it and crammed the setup together and went out to play. car transitions from driveway ledges well, drives controllably over gravel and dispite the slicks can still make it over grass. pretty fun.

didnt really change any parts. running all the kit parts with the downstops out, longer eyelets on the shocks and preload collars all the way down almost. suspension travel isnt a big deal here since the car bottoms out before it reaches the top of the shock travel, and the arms wont go down any more.

I could try adding a few mm to the arm mounts which would allow a steeper angle downward, but might not be worth it. the trade on the rally tires will probably give me enough ground clearance.

still going to modify the inner shock guides for more down travel but dunno if i ned it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.