Wiki Posts
Search

Help with purchase of a touring car

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default Help with purchase of a touring car

my local dirt track is closing down and am looking into getting into asphalt road course. Not real familiar with what is the best to purchase. What do you all recommend to purchase. I don't need a RTR system. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigdanes
my local dirt track is closing down and am looking into getting into asphalt road course. Not real familiar with what is the best to purchase. What do you all recommend to purchase. I don't need a RTR system. Thanks in advance.
sometimes it is best to see what are the popular brands being used & parts support of course.
Serpent,Xray,Kyosho,Mugen are the top leading brands
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Prepared track? Parking log? 1/10 or 1/8?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default touring car

parking lot but very smooth and just redone no cars have ever parked on it. looking for 1/10
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

parking lot but very smooth and just redone no cars have ever parked on it. looking for 1/10
go to the local track, and see what guys are actually running.. sometimes its a pain to tell what your car needs unless you have other guys running your particular car. also look at what your Local hobby shop stocks parts for. after that I would say associated makes a very competitive / affordable car if budget is a concern. kyosho and mugen are pretty good(very fast at my local track), and also xray is a great car, very adjustable and you have good access to other drivers and setups with their own forum, i feel it understeers more than I would like most of the time but there are fixes for this.

cheers

Last edited by rx7ttlm; 03-10-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

get the car that your nearest LHS is selling and has parts for...
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
get the car that your nearest LHS is selling and has parts for...
+1

Nothing could be worse than buying a kit that your local hobby shop doesn't carry parts for and that no one else at the track can give you pointers on.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you LHS carries multiple brands, I would stick with the bigger ones.... Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent......(who else am I missing). These are leading edge companies that have put a lot of research into their product. But like what people have said. See what parts you can get from your LHS.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I disagree with the whole run what the LHS has parts for thing. What if the don't really have parts for the top 4 cars then is he suppose to just buy what they have and settle. You have inter-net access the top cars would be
Serpent 720
Xray NT-1
Mugen MTX4R
Kyosho RRR
If you want a competitive car those are your choices, and any parts can be ordered at online shop like ashfordhobbies.com. And kamikazercracing.com if your looking for a basher then see what the LHS has or which of the cars they can order for you that you like. Hope this helps
Old 03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
I disagree with the whole run what the LHS has parts for thing. What if the don't really have parts for the top 4 cars then is he suppose to just buy what they have and settle. You have inter-net access the top cars would be
Serpent 720
Xray NT-1
Mugen MTX4R
Kyosho RRR
If you want a competitive car those are your choices, and any parts can be ordered at online shop like ashfordhobbies.com. And kamikazercracing.com if your looking for a basher then see what the LHS has or which of the cars they can order for you that you like. Hope this helps
well its a good starting place. Example, I have about 2-3 cars worth of parts for every car I run. gets expensive unless your a team guy... just a thought
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

there's nothing wrong with "team magic" in the right hands
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Still running a ft ntc3. Its a solid car, better for shorter tracks. Due to the gearing contraints this chassis is cursed with, the mugens, serpents, kyoshos, xrays, almost any newer gen chassis for that matter will pull on the straights. So if you are gonna be racing a large track,(150ft straight<) the ntc3's shorter 2nd gear will be a liability.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A lot of good points here, some thought should be given into what your looking to have to purchase hop-up items to make the car work. I can only give one example, the Xray NT-1 I run out of the box, it comes with diffs front and rear. I have changed the shock springs and shock oils....everything else is box stock. I've tried going with aftermarket items, but always come back to what is stock......
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Lots to consider...

If you are en exisiting Nitro racer then consider the setup consideration, tools, lubricants, kit, starter box, chargers, truers etc. On road racing on foams can be pretty demanding and would probably suggest looking for a full kit of racer moving on etc.

Car wise, the Mugens, Xrays, Kyoshos, Magics are all quite robust. Look for Centax / push clutch, a decent engine, GRP, Nova, Ninja etc.. Decent 4mm chassis plate etc.

The spares, without easy and affordable access to spurs, belts, pinions, clutch components, arms etc, you'll be getting frustrated quite quickly. Often after national titles previous club cars come up for sale for great bargains and they often come with a LOAD of parts, specially if the later model car is a next gen.

There's lots of good fast cars out there, keeping them circulating is the hard part.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

if its a parking lot why bother with a $450 kit?

just get a shaft driven ntc3 plus and swap out the electronics, if you arent going to be racing its a better choice, that lot will not stay clean forever.

or buy my g4rs $320 shipped already built brand new never ran, it needs electronics engine and pipe, retail on it is $380 plus shipping