Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Transponders

Originally Posted by drperry
My bad, misread the post

I'll refrain from inputting in the future
No please input your ideas and opinions we have all misread a post.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tdr170
Well that I surely can't dispute I can only go from what I have read during my search for transponders.
Another member gave me info on the MRT units because I could not find them this is when RCLaps was not taking Orders.
Look at the post below and you will see where my info comes from.
I am simple trying to pass on info for others who fing the AMB units way over priced.

:This was posted by another member and where some info comes from:

They come in 2 useable forms, Cloned and Custom. Both have 21 channels. The first 20 channels are the same as the AMB timing system and can replace broken house transponders with an external power source. Normally you plug them into your receiver in the 3rd channel or battery slot and mount them with servo tape or velcro.

Now, the all important 21st channel.

Cloned: You have to send your existing AMB working or broken in to get the 21st channel set to the same number as your existing transponder. Some racers like to have their transponders run the same number. To the majority, they just want laps counted.

Custom: You get a new unique number on the 21st channel of your new MRT personal transponder. This number is not used by MRT or AMB again. It can be changed manually. If you can discover your number or want them all to match, you could just get a set of these.
That information on the custom transponder is incorrect. The other guy had the correct information. MRT does have a "pool" of transponder numbers that they use to create the custom transponder's 21st channel. They buy up broken transponders, extract the numbers and use them to produce the custom transponders. There is a small chance that there could be a conflict, but I think its pretty long odds from happening.

If this really bothers you, just get a used AMB transponder, working or not, and have it cloned as many times as you want. In my case, I didn't have an AMB transponder, and I race with my son, sometimes in the same heat. I needed 2 different transponder numbers so I decided to get 2 of the cloned units. There are several people at my track who also use the MRT transponders and I haven't had any problems.

There is a really long and involved thread about this in the micro forums.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...ansponder.html

Terry from MRT has posted all the information on this stuff, but you will need to read lots of pages of posts. The thread is a bit old, and it started before the 20+1 custom/clone setup, but keep reading or skip to the end and read backwards. Somewhere in the middle, he announces the 20+1. I read the entire thread and asked Terry questions before ordering. It took me a long time to understand the differences between the two.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
That information on the custom transponder is incorrect. The other guy had the correct information. MRT does have a "pool" of transponder numbers that they use to create the custom transponder's 21st channel. They buy up broken transponders, extract the numbers and use them to produce the custom transponders. There is a small chance that there could be a conflict, but I think its pretty long odds from happening.

If this really bothers you, just get a used AMB transponder, working or not, and have it cloned as many times as you want. In my case, I didn't have an AMB transponder, and I race with my son, sometimes in the same heat. I needed 2 different transponder numbers so I decided to get 2 of the cloned units. There are several people at my track who also use the MRT transponders and I haven't had any problems.

Terry from MRT has posted all the information on this stuff, but you will need to read lots of pages of posts. The thread is a bit old, and it started before the 20+1 custom/clone setup, but keep reading or skip to the end and read backwards. Somewhere in the middle, he announces the 20+1. I read the entire thread and asked Terry questions before ordering. It took me a long time to understand the differences between the two.
Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Thats not true...and what I was pointing out. It will/can be used again only buy MRT. AMB might/probably only makes it once, but Terry is buying up old HTP's and PT's and cloning them into the 21st number. I don't know how many he has.. could be 20..50...1000???? but there will/can be duplicates. But if you have the same number as somebody else, you still have 20 other numbers to choose from.
Yes we know Ed covered that in an earlier post and sent me a PM giving me the full details.
Thanks for the input.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tdr170
Thanks, does it look familiar.
Aturbotony could you be the Tony who painted this.
It's my paint scheme done by jgo paints. If you like it I could talk to him for you about painting that scheme on your bodies. I have a new paint scheme now. Oh! by the way hows the car?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Mugen

Originally Posted by aturbotony
It's my paint scheme done by jgo paints. If you like it I could talk to him for you about painting that scheme on your bodies. I have a new paint scheme now. Oh! by the way hows the car?
The car is great and yes I really like the paint scheme on it.
I am or want to get a proto 909 and have this scheme on it.
Plan on racing for the first time in Kissimmee in two weeks.
I am sending you a PM
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I thought that body looked familiar. Maybe from all the times I got punted by it
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Transponders

Field Goal !
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy

The AMB that you send doesn't even have to work? How can they get the number out? I thought the number on the label is different than the number read from the 'system'? Isn't that the number they dupe?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default Transponder

I think Ed Anderson or Rapid Roy could best answer that question.
Chim in guys!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I thought that body looked familiar. Maybe from all the times I got punted by it
My bad! Next Time I'll try to go around you without any contact
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by verticalpilot
The AMB that you send doesn't even have to work? How can they get the number out? I thought the number on the label is different than the number read from the 'system'? Isn't that the number they dupe?
Sounds like it all depends on how bad it is. If its just leads, or weak or intermintent signal, or battery replacement in a HTP he can read it. But Terry could tell you for sure. Its worth a try if you can find one cheap enough.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Just to give my opinion. I bought 2 of these about 2 years ago since I was not happy with the AMB price. They have been good so far. I have not had any problem and I like the fact that both of my gas cars have the same number. I am starting to run 1/12 scale and might have to get more. My memory is not that good, but I think it took like 3 weeks from when I shipped them to get them back.

DJ Apolaro
Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Arrow

I just ordered one a few days ago, I hope they get there shipment in soon~~~~
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Transponders

Originally Posted by Just Fast
I just ordered one a few days ago, I hope they get there shipment in soon~~~~
Great let us know what your turn around time ends up being.

For everyone else even though they are out of stock they are still taking orders.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

so can someone please tell me how and where i can get one of these.

i have a broken PT that needs fixing.

thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.