Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheTurtleMan
Im wondering what kind of spec rules you guys might have for racing the
Ofna DM-1 spec
Kyosho IGT 2
Ect ect......
in a spec type race class...
Thanks for your input.
Well that seems to be the ongoing debate, what tires? what motors? what chassis? I dont think anyone has come up with a set of rules that everybody is following. I do know there is hope that ROAR will recognize this class as an upcoming class and endorse a set of rules for everyone to follow. Clubs across the country have kinda set there own rules in place for their locals to follow. Check with your local race club to see what rules are in your area. Have Fun.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sandfan85
Well that seems to be the ongoing debate, what tires? what motors? what chassis? I dont think anyone has come up with a set of rules that everybody is following. I do know there is hope that ROAR will recognize this class as an upcoming class and endorse a set of rules for everyone to follow. Clubs across the country have kinda set there own rules in place for their locals to follow. Check with your local race club to see what rules are in your area. Have Fun.
yea..

It up to the local tracks.

Last edited by Jspeed; 02-17-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is a quote from the ROAR region 1 director when I asked him the same question about GT car rules on a local forum:

"Probably never.

ROAR cannot make rules for a manufacturer specific class. Inferno GT is Kyosho, and the DM-1 is OFNA if I remember right. If ROAR came up with rules it would have to be any 1/8 buggy conversion, and that would increase the cost of the class through the roof.

For this class you're better off leaving ROAR out of it."

It really dosen't make much sense considering all the different manufacturers that make cars for 1/10, 1/8, etc...

Unfortuantely ROAR dosen't seem interested. He's not even sure which company makes which car! So for now, like Jspeed said, it's basically up to each individual track or series.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheTurtleMan
Im wondering what kind of spec rules you guys might have for racing the
Ofna DM-1 spec
Kyosho IGT 2
Ect ect......
in a spec type race class...
Thanks for your input.
The one thing about making rules for this class is that there will be someone, or a few, that will balk at the rules regardless. I have been involved with developing some rules for this class for our statewide onroad series this year in Texas. I included many different cars that are out there that fall into this class. I have already had people gripe about why didn't I include this car or that car (I did not know that their cars existed). I have also had complaints about the "spec" engines chosen or why can't they do this or that to their car or why can't we use this or that tire. We are trying to keep the class as low-cost as possible but there are already those that want to go "wild west" on us, wanting a spending free-for-all class. One guy emailed me directly and already stated that if he can't run his $400+ engine that he has in his car, he will not participate in the class or series. So, I told him that I am sorry he feels that way but this class will not be the "who has the deepest pockets" class that 200mm touring car has become and 1/8th scale Lola-body has always been. But the real sad part is that we have not even had race #1 yet and already there have been some racer dissention about the class rules.

However, go to the RC Pro Series website. They developed some rules for this class in which many regional races have adopted/tweaked for their own use.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
wwoodruff

Default Where and what are you putting together for Texas?

Whats up Juan, who has you putting together rules for a series in Texas? What do you have so far?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
wwoodruff

Default A little harsh don't ya think?

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Actually....

There are tracks & race directors that want to grow a "Spec" class program for GT cars and those that could care less & just accept entry fees
Thats probably not a fair statement towards hobby shops when they are having trouble staying in business let alone provide a place to race. I would name names if you have a beef with some one, otherwise its not good business for a manufacturers rep (yes we all know who you work for) to make blanket statements.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
Thats probably not a fair statement towards hobby shops when they are having trouble staying in business let alone provide a place to race.
You're right, kinda came out wrong, was more towards events not held at or with hobby shops.

I'm thinking of building & racing an "Open" car anymore too. That way I'll cool to race both classes.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 AM
wwoodruff

Default Blackhawk is cool!

I saw the picture of the Blackhawk and read the specs, that should be one ballistic ride. Any idea if Kyosho has an SP chassis comming out for the GT2?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Whats up Juan, who has you putting together rules for a series in Texas? What do you have so far?
The new committee that is now running the SWCS knew that I was running the IGT car in Memphis, TN and Jackson, MS and approached me about putting together some rules for this class they were considering on adding to their race program. So, I meshed the RC Pro rules with the tweaks from the Memphis and Jackson groups and presented them to the committee. There will be two classes run, open and spec. If you pm me your email address, I will forward the new SWCS newsletter that has all the information in regards to the buggy-based 1/8th scale cars.

Juan
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Thats probably not a fair statement towards hobby shops when they are having trouble staying in business let alone provide a place to race. I would name names if you have a beef with some one, otherwise its not good business for a manufacturers rep (yes we all know who you work for) to make blanket statements.
Will,

In defense of Jspeed, he went through a lot to put together the IGT program in the part of Florida where he lives. He did a lot of legwork and networking to get the ball rolling. Once he got things going, others wanted to crash the party and buck a lot of what he did as far as getting rules put together, sponsors for races, etc. At one point, he told me that he had good numbers of racers running in this class in the beginning. Since it was decided to let the class be a free-for-all as far as mods, engines, etc, he told me that participation has dropped off dramatically. One of the guys that he had to deal with now lives in Houston and has already made waves as far as the rules that I put together and have started calling committee members trying to get major changes (and we have not held race #1 with these cars yet).
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Ok again you're hearing one side of the story,Jspeed did a lot to get GT racing started here in florida and we all appreciate everything he did he had great plans for the class that would have been good for some and would have been accepable to most,but the job went to his head so anyone that didn't agree with him was lable a problem and was vicariously attacted only by him not by LHS or organized racing which being in the business of the people not one individual it's hard for him to except that side,then the back door,and the name dropping and even misuse of let's just say collateral and all the fighting waterer down the class,we're now picking up where we got off track and tried to involve jeff but he can't let it go if he can't run it,which is hard to do if your money is not involved,again jeff your're a fair network guy but there is a thing call ethics,you just losted it along the path.I know you're going to attact me again but this had to be said on behalf of those who took the high road for business reasons,in short the empty wagon makes the most noise,this comes from one who like others could no longer a your friend sorry man,you have the making of being a good friend but you just can't keep them
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock

One of the guys that he had to deal with now lives in Houston and has already made waves as far as the rules that I put together and have started calling committee members trying to get major changes (and we have not held race #1 with these cars yet).
Juan,
Making waves....Major Changes to Rules... Calling committee member...

Man get your facts straight.....

I asked the committee to include the original DM-1, I didn't call any of the committee member, just emailed them. I asked you to add the DM-1 in the set of rules several months back when you emailed me, but seem to me you just ignored the request. As for the engine, I told you I purchased the Ofna .28 spec motor to race in the 2009 SWCS 1/8 GT RTR class. I did this a few days before the announcement made by the SWCS committee that the Open and Spec class would run together...

It's all good, see you at the races...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Mike,

The original rules I helped to write have a venue for both Spec & Open class GT car racing. Every one of the “haters” still wants to forget that fact.
No need for continued name calling and re-hashing who did what or why. I asked everyone in our original group to work together to “police” our Spec class entries at SS.

Unfortunately, none of the guys who decided to give up on Spec GT racing wanted to step up and work together for a common goal; Attract new “blood” into our level playing field.

I was put into a situation where I was viewed as the “bad guy” for asking questions like ‘why did you drill out your flywheel or that engine doesn’t sound stock or do you have a “drift box” in there, lets take a look see’. (you know it’s all true, heck.. I was even offered a drift box too, so I’d shut-up about it.)

But hey, it’s over, last year’s news, just looking forward to a new year and all the great things to come.

I’m happy to see that the Open GT class is finally getting started, it’s always been something I wanted to see happen; I just wanted to see our Spec class program grow first , kind of like what they have in Mexico now.

I’ll have both GT Spec & GT Open class cars to race this year. I’m really looking forward to having fun, regardless of a track or race has a rule structure for GT cars.

Its all good, see you at the races.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)

We have our own thing going on here in GA since there is really only 1 on-road track. We are running a "stock" class. Upgradeable tires, shock fluids, servos and radio. Thats it. It keeps it fun and very competitive.

-Ant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.