Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA LD3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default OFNA LD3?

I just ordered a couple of cars, a Losi eight rtr, and a OFNA LD3. I picked the ld3 up for 159.00, anybody have one of these?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1
I just ordered a couple of cars, a Losi eight rtr, and a OFNA LD3. I picked the ld3 up for 159.00, anybody have one of these?
................Check-out the post of Brent Davis over on rcuniverse website. He has several Ofna onroad cars that he puts big block .21 in them . They are fast and handle quite well.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Still have one. Nice basher, can be raced in a pinch, but the car is a few years old so I wouldn't expect it to be that competitive.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Good deal, easy to work on? I dont care to race on road, just got it to keep my other cars strictly racing. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Good deal, easy to work on? I dont care to race on road, just got it to keep my other cars strictly racing. Thanks for the feedback.
Nothing's really too difficult. Changing the spur gears is a little more involved, and make sure you shim up the diffs and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Keep in mind these cars were designed when the MT12 was the hot motor, so keep an eye on how much motor you put in them. The 2 speed and the diff gears may not like it. The only other thing I can think of that I had issues with are the front knuckles. Keep a set just in case you wack something at a decent clip. Then again, if you don't hit anything, you should be fine!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks dude, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spenzalii
Nothing's really too difficult. Changing the spur gears is a little more involved, and make sure you shim up the diffs and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Keep in mind these cars were designed when the MT12 was the hot motor, so keep an eye on how much motor you put in them. The 2 speed and the diff gears may not like it.
..................Don't underestimate the Ofna cars drivetrain they are very durable. I have a Nitro TC-3 with a big block .28 in it I kept blowing the rear diff spur gear and pinion until I transplated the steel diff and pinion gears from the LD-3 to it, no more blowned gears. The LD-3 drivetrain should be able to handle just about any motor. Here is a video of a Ofna with a extremely modified.21 in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFR3W1nSxU
Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
..................Don't underestimate the Ofna cars drivetrain they are very durable. I have a Nitro TC-3 with a big block .28 in it I kept blowing the rear diff spur gear and pinion until I transplated the steel diff and pinion gears from the LD-3 to it, no more blowned gears. The LD-3 drivetrain should be able to handle just about any motor. Here is a video of a Ofna with a extremely modified.21 in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFR3W1nSxU
The gear diffs themselves are decent (especially compared to the NTC3 ball diffs). I've had issues with the cases themselves on occasion (the spider gears would unseat and start to wear another groove inside the case). Using the correct screws for the diff solved that (2x6mm). I spent most of the season working on the 2 speed with my Ninja. I never could get it to shift properly. It either shifted waaaaaay too soon, or didn't shift at all.