Community
Wiki Posts
Search

track building

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default track building

We are going to build a track for nitro 200mm cars does anybody have any ideas what we could use for material. it needs to be light but strong.I was thinking of pvc plastic tubing but it will move around at the slightest hit.There is only going to be a few of us setting up the track so it needs to be light.My thought is to use wood for the main straight and use plastic tubing and fire hose for the infield any thoughts would be greatly appricated..
Old 04-02-2004, 06:46 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: track building

Originally posted by fasteddie d
We are going to build a track for nitro 200mm cars does anybody have any ideas what we could use for material. it needs to be light but strong.I was thinking of pvc plastic tubing but it will move around at the slightest hit.There is only going to be a few of us setting up the track so it needs to be light.My thought is to use wood for the main straight and use plastic tubing and fire hose for the infield any thoughts would be greatly appricated..
Depends on your budget, but if you wan't a portable track system, go to www.roaddome.com , they make a pvc portable track system which is awesome. We copied same system and made it out of wood here in Peru, because import duties were to high. We even improved it, by making shorter pieces to make curved turns instead of angles. Works great.
AFM
Old 04-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

DO NOT USE THE ROADDOME SYSTEM!!!!

The Roaddome system launches cars and will slide around on asphalt. Plus, with the speed and weight of nitro cars, it's likely to disscinigrate on contact.

The PVC piping is a great idea. You can use connecting pieces to form corners so that the track won't roll away. Then use cinder blocks, or 1 gallon jugs filled with sand or water to hold the track in place where it's likely to get hit.

Will
Old 04-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the ideas.I think we are going to use the pvc pipe idea with some heavy nylon straps for the outline of the track .
Old 04-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

If you use PVC, 2" is a good size to work with. You can use 12" pieces of 1-1/2" on the inside to splice two pieces together. 1" Self-drilling, self-tapping screws work well with it. Also, if you go to the electrical section of Home Depot, etc.... you can get 90 and 45 degree sweeps in 2" plastic electrical conduit that will couple smoothly using the 1-1/2" inserts. The PVC 90's and 45's have a flange that sticks out and WILL catch your car.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds great where is this track going to be located?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Our Track

We use 2in conduit pipe and it works great. Holds up real good even with nitro cars. Here is a pic of our newest layout. maybe it will give ya some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails track building-april-5-2004-001.jpg  
Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

The track is located out here in Vancouver Canada.Tomorrow will be our first set-up so wish us luck.Thanks for the Great ideas.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

Last time i ran at my local place, they used 2" x 1" bits of wood and some 2" pvc pipe...
and they had some white dome pieces for certain corners...