Wiki Posts
Search

Home made bump starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Home made bump starter

Hi.

I have hooked up a stock tamiya electric motor to a switch and it is powered by an old electric rc car battery...

My question is, if i found something to attach to the motor would it be powerful enough to start my nitro engine?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It will depend on a few things. What capacity battery are you using? is it a 540 or 550 motor and what type/size of nitro motor are you trying to kick over.

Usually starter boxes are run on 12v dc if using a gel cell or 14.4v if using two stick packs and either have 1x550 or 2x550 motors or some even have just one big ass motor in it, these would be more for your big block motors.

The starter box i use for my 1/10th scale tourers has just one 550 motor in it hooked up to two stick packs = 14.4v
Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

If you mean useing a rubber wheel on a 550 size stock motor no it wont work. You would need a gear reduction (small pulley motor, large pulley rubber wheel) The boxes with the wheel directly on the motor shaft use a much larger motor.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

haha

yeah i was kinda worried about the low tourqe factor but i threw it out any way so looks like ill have to buy

thanks anyway