MMR, VHT or just plain sugar water?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MMR, VHT or just plain sugar water?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Default MMR, VHT or just plain sugar water?

G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will be racing next week Feb 8, 2009 and we would like some driver input on traction. We have MMR, VHT, and sugar/syurp. Given that we race on a parking lot track with medium type asphalt, what have the racers learned from their experiences on these types of tracks?

Which compound do you think works the best..why?

thanks!!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gwilli2001us
G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will be racing next week Feb 8, 2009 and we would like some driver input on traction. We have MMR, VHT, and sugar/syurp. Given that we race on a parking lot track with medium type asphalt, what have the racers learned from their experiences on these types of tracks?

thanks!!
In my opinion vht works the best and stays most consitant
Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwilli2001us

thanks!!
Glen, As long as the surface isn't slurried, VHT works as well as Syrup. I wanted to try MMR, but they want me to get 5 gals worth and i can't see myself getting $500 just to "try" the stuff. I don't think i have ever had an issue with traction at your tracks anyway. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't care what is used or how much of it is used. What's important IMO, is that the track not be sprayed over and over again, or have certain parts sprayed over and over again as the weekend progresses.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

I have raced on all those compounds. All work fairly well.
The best traction compound Ive raced on is what 1/8 racers of toledo uses. Dont know the actual mixture. But castor oil is a main ingredent along with other substances.
Incredible grip and its not very affected by rain. The track were the 1/8 nats are this summer.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

I sometimes race at a track that uses Track Grip, and I really like it. Grip stays consistant and second day doesn't even need to be sprayed.

I help in running races at our local track. VHT was way to expensive for us to us. So, we have a special "secret sauce" that we use that basically uses sugar for grip. That seems to be working well for us. It's alot better than nothing.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

vht over sugar syrup seems like the tried and true solution.
mmr may be ok but

all i know for sure is cleaning the clogged sprayer is PITA!
lets just make sure to flush the sprayer sunday pm no matter what was in it.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

It has been my general experience that VHT works well on unsealed parking lot type tracks and sugar/syrup works well on sealed asphalt. I think what is more important than the mixture is what is used to apply it. A good electric or gas powered spray bar set up beats a weed sprayer every time. A properly setup spray bar will apply the mix like a 4 or 5 foot paint roller and thats what you want for the best consistency. You also need to try and avoid double coating in the corners and this on some tracks is hard to do. You can minimize double coating by speeding up your apply speed when going over double areas.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you use sugar, the best I've found is Cane sugar like C&H. It will disolve in cold water and not crystalize like beet sugar. Makes traction very consistant.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Whatever Toledo uses is my favorite. I also really like the aggressive feel the car gets on VHT. It's almost like 1/12th scale carpet racing. The only MMR track I have run on I struggled big time with a corner entry push but once I found the set-up it was pretty good. Not a fan of sugar water or syrup on unsealed pavement but is ok on sealed tarmac.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Whatever Toledo uses is my favorite. I also really like the aggressive feel the car gets on VHT. It's almost like 1/12th scale carpet racing. The only MMR track I have run on I struggled big time with a corner entry push but once I found the set-up it was pretty good. Not a fan of sugar water or syrup on unsealed pavement but is ok on sealed tarmac.
curious, it has been my understanding that if you have an unsealed, porous surface that you lay down a layer of sugar to temporarily seal the surface, and follow it by the vht. this was the process that i understood the RAMs used (in the late 90's)

i had undesrtood that if you spray vht on an porous surface that it will just soak in and provide no benefit. is this not the case?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
curious, it has been my understanding that if you have an unsealed, porous surface that you lay down a layer of sugar to temporarily seal the surface, and follow it by the vht. this was the process that i understood the RAMs used (in the late 90's)

i had undesrtood that if you spray vht on an porous surface that it will just soak in and provide no benefit. is this not the case?
I've never tried spraying VHT on an unsealed lot so I don't know. I have run on unsealed tracks sprayed just with sugar water or soda and they seemed to provide no help at all.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

we used vht here on our track - moorebank sydney australia home of the 2001 1:8 worlds and its awesome
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Sean, the mixture we sprayed last year is Toledo's recipe exactly. Tire wear is way down since we sealed it and spraying has helped alot. We are also going to be buying a sprayer with a 4' spray bar this year so we'll get nice even coverage. You should come out and race with us more often. I think this year is going to be alot of fun with more guys running 1/8.
Paul
Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

We plan to lay down a coat of vanilla fountain syurp diluted a little with water and then go over that with VHT...1 gal VHT to 2 gal methanol. We have a star 16 gal electric pump sprayer that lays a good even coating.

What is the Toledo recipe? if it can cut the costs we are VERY interested, the cost of VHT and methanol is really getting expensive. everybody's input is greatly appeciated, keep it coming and thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.