R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   What to do with my G4? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/271143-what-do-my-g4.html)

.:Andy:. 01-28-2009 01:11 AM

What to do with my G4?

Hey guys,
Ive been driving 1/5 offroads for a couple of years now and to be hounest, im getting a bit bored of it. To solve this problem i recently bought a Team Magic G4 to play around with. I am familiar with nitros, as ive owned a revo and jato previously, but this is my first onroad. Im really happy with the G4, ive done around 40 tanks with it and its still running strong!
Ive decided to spend a few $$$ on it now. Ive stripped most of the car:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/IMGP0955.jpg

And plan to upgrade a few parts. So far i have bought:
A futaba 3pk FASST to install
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/IMGP0953.jpg

A hitec 5625 for throttle and a hitec 5645 for stearing
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/IMGP0954.jpg

I am going to upgrade the engine as well. Just so you know i will NOT be racing, i'll just be driving on a big concrete area with 10 or so mates just for fun. The area is VERY big so i will be doing a few high speed runs with it. I want the car to be FAST :sweat: as you'd expect, as i'll be up against other G4's with novarossi's, Kyosho rrr's, CD3's, and the dreaded brushless onroad's (they're FAST! :()
So far i have looked at Novarossi .12's (PLUS 12-3CT)
Sirio .12's (S12-T5-STI Engine)
And on a completely different scale, O.S .18's (TZ)
Basically i need some help with choosing an engine for my car. Ill be upgrading to a K factory UFO clutch as well, and maybe changing gearing depending on which engine i choose.
Are there any other upgrades you guys reccomend? I am still new to onroad nitro and am not familiar with different parts or engines. As i said earlier, i want the car to be FAST and im willing to spend the $$$ necessary to beat my friends :sweat:
As far as drivetrain goes, i have absolutely NO clue what to do... thats why i've come here for help.

Im looking forward to your replies, as i said, i have been heavily involved in 1/5 offroads for years, so im unfamiliar with onroads on such a small scale...
Be nice to the newbie please :p

Cheers guys,
Andy

freestyles 01-28-2009 02:28 AM

I run an O.S. 12TZ with the skyline v12+ pipe and it screams. As for the drivetrain you might want to look at getting the ED transmission. It's a revised gearing set up to try and help you pull out of corners harder. Put that with the UFO2 clutch and a good motor and trust me you will be faster than your mates cars:nod:

What G4 is that? It looks like it has parts from the lola G4 and some other parts from the mongoose and other parts look like they are the JS

Have fun

.:Andy:. 01-28-2009 03:07 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the ED transmission to match with the UFO clutch. So you think its worth staying with the .12 engines? Since im not racing would it be worth running a bigger block engine like an .18? I'm hounestly only looking for speed and acceleration, no need for handling :D
One other thing, when it comes to gear ratios, if i were to run a .12 like a novarossi what ratio should i be running? a taller ratio than stock?
Cheers

wizby 01-28-2009 04:21 AM

If money is no concern there is some insane motors out there. Like the RB R3, NOVA 353, and JP or CAPRICORN Engines.

.:Andy:. 01-28-2009 04:31 AM

Im listening :D
I dont know much about these sorts of engines so you may have to fill me in a bit...

helivaguy 01-28-2009 05:05 AM

team magic evo g4

im changing out the front oneway and installing a front diff so whats the recommened diff oil weight for large open smooth asphalt parking lots?
i have 2,000 in the rear already cuz i like it a little free and loose.
thanks.

keavze 01-28-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by .:Andy:. (Post 5353111)
Im listening :D
I dont know much about these sorts of engines so you may have to fill me in a bit...

get the 'tuned' or 'modified' versions of the .12 engines if $ is of no concern... :D

keavze 01-28-2009 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by helivaguy (Post 5353192)
im changing out the front oneway and installing a front diff so whats the recommened diff oil weight for large open smooth asphalt parking lots?
i have 2,000 in the rear already cuz i like it a little free and loose.
thanks.

try 50k for a start and tune from there but i would put 7k-10k in the rear at least. ;)

helivaguy 01-28-2009 05:58 AM

hmmm..the manual states to fill rear diff with 1/2 of 30000cst and 1/2 of 600cst which should kinda be equal to 1500wt.
doesnt 7-10000wt seems kind of tight for the rear diff?
wouldnt this cause more ass-end sliding especially with a light car?
sorry for all the questions:blush:

s10dude 01-28-2009 06:11 AM

what ever your usuing in rear i would double in front diff...i.e. 10,000 / to 20,000

i use 50,000 rear / 100,000 front.....lol... my style

helivaguy 01-28-2009 06:35 AM

thanks guys,
oh and sorry to adam on the original post..didnt mean to hijack thread.

Chiefy 707 01-28-2009 09:19 PM

Well the ED tranny and UFO were already mentioned but I'll just mention them again just because!

If money is an issue, an OS 12TZ or JL red dot are two of the best bang for the buck small blocks.

.:Andy:. 01-29-2009 12:27 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advice, i ended up ordering the ED transmission and the UFO 2 Push type clutch.
After thinking about which engine to buy, i decided on a bigger block engine as im only going to be fooling around with mates.
I ended up ordering a Murnan Modified OS 18 TZ...
Do you think i should change anything else on the car? or will the stock parts handle the bigger engine? And should i be running stock gearing or a taller ratio?

Cheers guys, hope the engine turns out good.... it did cost me quiet a bit :D

keavze 01-29-2009 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by .:Andy:. (Post 5357953)
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advice, i ended up ordering the ED transmission and the UFO 2 Push type clutch.
After thinking about which engine to buy, i decided on a bigger block engine as im only going to be fooling around with mates.
I ended up ordering a Murnan Modified OS 18 TZ...
Do you think i should change anything else on the car? or will the stock parts handle the bigger engine? And should i be running stock gearing or a taller ratio?

Cheers guys, hope the engine turns out good.... it did cost me quiet a bit :D

MM os18tz :sneaky:
huge torque! u gotta run a taller gearing than stock...:nod:

Scott Fisher 01-29-2009 01:33 AM

And hope that the gear train will handle the power of the bigger engine.