R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Futaba vs. Airtronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/271045-futaba-vs-airtronics.html)

dvu 01-27-2009 05:55 PM

Futaba vs. Airtronics

Hey,

From what I've read on the forum, I gather most people prefer futaba equipment. I've always used Airtronics in my cars and no problems yet. Anybody out there have a strong opinion either way?

Thanks, Duc

Kyosho Kid 01-27-2009 06:02 PM

Airtronics!!!! Has never failed me...ever!!! Cant say that about Futaba. Great servos. Real fast but my airtronics seem tougher. Never had one die on me. My friend was 3rd in a 1/8 scale 45min main when his reciever overheated and started to freak out and had to pull off. He was pissed.
If not Airtronics i'd go KO.

Ivan Dickson 01-27-2009 06:04 PM

I like both brands....:nod:

drperry 01-27-2009 06:10 PM

Both will probably do you just fine...

You might have issues with either one, but it's not a common thing.

Basically go for which one looks better to you :lol:

Scott Fisher 01-27-2009 07:15 PM

At this point I would use Futaba servos and Airtronics radios. If I was going to use one brand only I would with Airtronics.

Currently I use mostly Futaba servos (I still have a few Airtronics laying around) with a few JR servos. I use the Spektrum DX3R radio, but had a KO before that and an Airtronics before that one.

wingracer 01-27-2009 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher (Post 5351536)
At this point I would use Futaba servos and Airtronics radios. If I was going to use one brand only I would with Airtronics.

Currently I use mostly Futaba servos (I still have a few Airtronics laying around) with a few JR servos. I use the Spektrum DX3R radio, but had a KO before that and an Airtronics before that one.

I'm with Scott. Airtronics radios are the best. While their servos are also very good (second best IMO) Futaba has the best servos on the planet.

dvu 01-27-2009 08:50 PM

It makes sense, but I never thought about using futaba servos with airtronics radios Do the futaba servos just plug into the airtronics receiver? Is there any non-compatability issue I should be aware of?

Thanks

nigelnuggets 01-27-2009 10:14 PM

Why not consider KO Propo?

I can almost guarantee, that the radio's produced by the company have great quality as they are currently being made in Japan still. Also the radio can potentially be the lightest in combination with a LiPo battery. I used to run Airtronics radio gear in combination with Futaba servos, but i've never been happier with my KO Propo EX-10 Helios. The response is so fast, and i've also never felt more connected to my car. I race 1/8th On-road, and its very important to have good radio gear with the speeds the cars are driving at.

The servo's themselves are already capable of holding higher voltages from lithium battery packs used as receiver packs. And they provide great specs, without going overboard on weight of the total servo.

KO Propo! :thumbs up:

Kyosho Kid 01-28-2009 02:43 AM

you will have to mod or change the futaba J plug so it will fit in the airtronics receiver.

Scott Fisher 01-28-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by dvu (Post 5352047)
It makes sense, but I never thought about using futaba servos with airtronics radios Do the futaba servos just plug into the airtronics receiver? Is there any non-compatability issue I should be aware of?

Thanks

To add a bit to the other explanation: The futaba servo plug has a small little nib on it. Usually about 10 seconds with an X-acto knife will shave that off and then it goes into the receiver with little issue. Obviously as was said you could change the plastic plug if you desire.

garen 01-28-2009 11:00 AM

Airtronics has worked well for me for many years, both radios, receivers, and servos.

nitrodude 01-28-2009 11:45 AM

I have a Futaba 3PKss, and I love it. I have tried friends M11 and KO. They're all good radios. The M11s response time is slow compared to the other 2, the Futaba is a lot faster than the M11. Just recently I tried someones KO and that thing is amazing, you almost feel like you're inside the car drinving it, I liked it so much that Im considering selling my 3PK and getting a KO.

s10dude 01-28-2009 03:49 PM

i use futaba radio and airtronics servos....alway's and luv em !

JASON MAC 01-28-2009 06:20 PM

I've always used Airtronics radio and servos and have not had any failures. In my 1/8 onroad car I have had the same servos in it for 2 years and they still work perfect. Big thing is to get your end points set right so they don't overload the servos.

kyosho player 01-28-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JASON MAC (Post 5356561)
I've always used Airtronics radio and servos and have not had any failures. In my 1/8 onroad car I have had the same servos in it for 2 years and they still work perfect. Big thing is to get your end points set right so they don't overload the servos.

Very correct:nod: