Serpent 710

Old 06-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: sweay bar

Originally posted by PUNISHER
It just need to barley go inside that female (cup) part.........you probably had it to far in were it wasn't moving to freely.
Perhaps the ball joint was inserted the other way around. On each ball joint, one side has a slightly bigger diameter than the other side.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by cyba888
I am getting understeer off power exiting corners. Besides changing tire shores how can I correct this?
Why is your car in "off-power" condition when exiting corner ?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Its made out of titanium and whats also cool about it is that the holes for the body post sits about 1-2 cm lower than the factory rear shock towers.
The newer and thicker rear shock tower has body post mounts that are 1 or 2 mm lower. Perhaps Dino included that in the titanium shock tower even though the design cutouts resemble the older original rear shock tower.

So far, my new Serpent rear CF shock tower has lasted me.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Ran the car today and went really well. I dont think at one time it ran this good. I used 35 shores on all 4. When exiting a corner a get understeer. Is there any way I can correct this without losing more steering?
Try to mount the rear shocks one or two holes more vertical. You could also try 37 shore rear tires. 37 shore rear and 35 shore front should balance the front and rear tire wear nicely.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Short track setups

Originally posted by kreidel
Any input on gaining steering?
kreidel, have you tried mounting the rear shocks more vertical? One or two holes more on the rear shock tower?

I found that it gives a very subtle but noticeable difference to steering without messing up the setup too much.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by GoldFinger
I was about to ask this as well...
Old 06-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by GoldFinger
You beat me...I was going to ask the same thing !
Old 06-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by kreidel
The rear traction is great even with the 40 rears and 37 front.
What rear roll center did you use? Stock? Did you try a different rear roll center?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: To Isolate or not is the question?

Originally posted by wolfejohne
I am at the stage of putting the servos in my car, and would like to know if I should isolate the servos from mechanical vibration? In the past (15 years) when I raced Hydroplanes we used the rubber isolators that were supplied with the servos. When I changed to Electric 12th and 10th pan cars we mounted the servos solid with no isolators. Now 10 years later with gas cars what is the correct thing to do? I am using Futaba S9350 for steering & S9405 for the throttle. When I try to use the rubber mounts that came with the servos, the hardware supplied is not long enough and the holes in the steering mount are to large the support the brass inserts. I have a picture of Rene Cornella’s 710 I took at the Winternats and it looks like he does not use any servo isolation ( I think).

I tried to post a picture but the file size was two large.
Im still using the rubber grommet but without metal insert(brass) on it. Very tight, but when servo saver works, it have a bit of play.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am at the stage of putting the servos in my car, and would like to know if I should isolate the servos from mechanical vibration? In the past (15 years) when I raced Hydroplanes we used the rubber isolators that were supplied with the servos. When I changed to Electric 12th and 10th pan cars we mounted the servos solid with no isolators. Now 10 years later with gas cars what is the correct thing to do? I am using Futaba S9350 for steering & S9405 for the throttle. When I try to use the rubber mounts that came with the servos, the hardware supplied is not long enough and the holes in the steering mount are to large the support the brass inserts. I have a picture of Rene Cornella’s 710 I took at the Winternats and it looks like he does not use any servo isolation ( I think).

I tried to post a picture but the file size was two large.
I mount the steering servo solid without the rubber grommets. With the throttle servo all you need to hold it are 2 small cable-ties threaded through either end of the servo mounting lugs and the holes on the radio plate.
If you really want to do a pro job I would suggest get some silicon gel (clear tile sealant) and put a thin layer between the radio tray and everything it touches.
This will provide a little absortion from the higher vibrations that a nitro car engine produces. Reducing as much of the vibration in the chassis as possible is one of the better places to find that little bit extra power from the engine.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Short track setups

Originally posted by Proficar403
First, move the ball cup on the steering arm from the top to the bottom, which gives a little more throw when running less caster.
I think that's the same as mounting the steering linkage on TOP of the servo saver instead of bottom as per the manual.

But does the front belt rub against the steering linkage when the ball cup is mounted on the bottom of the steering arm?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Prophet

When I try to use the rubber mounts that came with the servos, the hardware supplied is not long enough and the holes in the steering mount are to large the support the brass inserts.
I did not have problems putting the brass inserts and the rubber gromets into the servos.

On gas cars, I would want to use the rubber gromets to isolate the vibration from the engine.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pyramid
hmmmm.. this is new, even when I`m running with old belt (loose) it still never get out from the pulley.
The problem is you have not run the front ball diff yet. On one of the sides (left), it does not have a flange to keep the belt unlike on the oneway pulley. The front diff pulley is something like what you have with the rear diff pulley. I also never had a problem with the front belt on the oneway but recently had the same problems as crashed_1 with the front belt coming off from the front ball diff pulley whenever I make a turn.

I did point this out in my "wish list" not too long ago for Serpent to come out with a more "aggressive" ecenters. The one for the rear of the 950R to fit the 51T rear pulley works fine on the 710 according to Rene. It is able to tighten the belt more because it is more eccentric.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: To Isolate or not is the question?

Originally posted by InitialD
I did not have problems putting the brass inserts and the rubber gromets into the servos.

On gas cars, I would want to use the rubber gromets to isolate the vibration from the engine.
Agree, I use the rubber too. If the screw come with is not long enough, Use something else
I have all size of 3M screw sitting at home
Old 06-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Short track setups

Originally posted by InitialD
I think that's the same as mounting the steering linkage on TOP of the servo saver instead of bottom as per the manual.

But does the front belt rub against the steering linkage when the ball cup is mounted on the bottom of the steering arm?
When mounting on the bottom of knuckle, with caster more than 4mm the inside(on the s.saver) ball end hit lower bulkhead.
Big number of downstop can eliminate this, but the car is very "nervous" on high speed sweeper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.