Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by BIBOY
I have the same problem i bought the universal from 3 racing...but what i did before is you can get ballpen that has a spring and cut the spring in half.. cut to right length and put one in the front one way outdrive to push your dogbones toward the axel shaft or you can also put one spring into the axel shaft so that the dogbone is right in the center between the outdrive and the axel shaft... this can be a simple remedy to it but the universals are better... good luck hope this helped you!!!
I just use short pieces of fuel tubing in the wheelaxle and the diff outdrive to remove all but a bit of sideplay. Not too much though or the suspension will bind. Others have used pieces of foam to the same effect.

A word of warning on those 3Racing universals. My racing buddy had them and they cost him the win. The end broke off one of them. He was not too impressed.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Originally posted by Julius
I actually never measure....
As a start I screw te cap till about 1mm of thread is visible above it. Then I start the engine and after it's warmed up I set the clutch to engage as needed.

I do the same...........
Old 06-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Weight imbalance

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue with the S710.

I put my car, ready-to-run, on balancing posts, and found that the car is WAAAAYYYYY heavy on the right side. To compensate and get the tweak out of the car, I had to put a lot of spring preload on the right side shocks (front & rear).

Anyone else find this?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Weight imbalance

Originally posted by GlennCauley

I put my car, ready-to-run, on balancing posts, and found that the car is WAAAAYYYYY heavy on the right side. To compensate and get the tweak out of the car, I had to put a lot of spring preload on the right side shocks (front & rear).

Anyone else find this?
I guess that will all depends on what electronics you have on your car. There should be some unbalance to the right of the car but how much would be determine on your radio gear.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone else find this?
They talked about this awhile back.
They added some weight to the left side to balance the car.
D or someone else, should know more about how much weight was added.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

As measured on my scale system, I also find that the car is a little right side heavy, trying to compensate with spring preload works to a certain degree, but overdo it and you will have a chassis that is not level. I tried and tried to ge the car balanced, but in the end, I realised that the car works and drives just perfect, even with it's overweight on the right side. The scales tell me my 710 has a 47-53 balance left to right and I guess that does not hurt it.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fmolzer
As measured on my scale system, I also find that the car is a little right side heavy, trying to compensate with spring preload works to a certain degree, but overdo it and you will have a chassis that is not level. I tried and tried to ge the car balanced, but in the end, I realised that the car works and drives just perfect, even with it's overweight on the right side. The scales tell me my 710 has a 47-53 balance left to right and I guess that does not hurt it.
If you are constantly running tracks with more right-hand corners then it is better for tire wear. Keeps it more even. But it will really hurt your performance if running anti-clockwise tracks.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

I suppose you are right. I am simply comparing with how I like my car to handle and with my previous experience with 200 mm cars and the 710 is by far the best handling machine I have raced.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Weight imbalance

Originally posted by PSI Racing
They talked about this awhile back.
They added some weight to the left side to balance the car.
D or someone else, should know more about how much weight was added.
Here it goes.
It was in Mark's FAQ.

Rene Cornella calculated that when using about 20 grams of weight on the chassis just left of the tank the chassis would close to perfect balance.
To be honest I think only very few drivers would notice the difference. Often a small tweak in the spring settings is more noticeable....
The 20 grams is not accurate for all engine/radio setups - some may require more weight!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Originally posted by InitialD
On paper and with some deductions as to some testings made, mounting the flyweights in the middle of the post and putting 2 set screws on each flyweight would be better wouldn't it? Plus using the yellow shoes with those mods would be the best like what Goldfinger mentioned... Correct?
That depends on your defenition of best. I think with heavier flyweights and the yellow shoe you'd be stuck with a way too grippy clutch. Which will be very agressive if set late and would bog the motor when set too early. But testing is better than theory
Old 06-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

i just found out that the next race here will be an oval race ( well its more like rectangular race, two long strights, two short, four lefts turns) and I was wondering if someone can give me some set up advice for this kind of race.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone else find this?
Glenn, this is actually quite "normal" in that the design was never balanced in the first place. I know a few of the Pros put weight on the left side of the chassis next to the tank to balance the car (depending on what electronics in on-board, the weight is varied).

I don't think increasing the pre-load is the right way to go. Maybe I'm wrong but chassis tweak, if done the way Julius and D had discussed here in the past should not be dependant on the weight distribution because they rest one end of the car on a solid block while checking the other end for tweak.

Curiously, I have raced the car on large and small tracks without the counterbalance weight thus far and have noticed some but small differences in cornering. This difference is also compounded by the fact that one of the errors I had in assembling the car.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fmolzer
Right ... I've seen one guy with 20gms on and another with 60 gms so like Punisher says, depends on your electronics. For example, I use 9550 servos for both steering and throttle so I imagine my weight disctribution would be closer to equal (9550s are lighter than standard servos).
Old 06-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Weight imbalance

Originally posted by PSI Racing
Here it goes.
It was in Mark's FAQ.

Rene Cornella calculated that when using about 20 grams of weight on the chassis just left of the tank the chassis would close to perfect balance.
To be honest I think only very few drivers would notice the difference. Often a small tweak in the spring settings is more noticeable....
The 20 grams is not accurate for all engine/radio setups - some may require more weight!!!
There ya go ... I guess next time if I miss this forum for a day, go back 5 pages, read ALL posts before answering anything!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Originally posted by Julius
That depends on your defenition of best. I think with heavier flyweights and the yellow shoe you'd be stuck with a way too grippy clutch. Which will be very agressive if set late and would bog the motor when set too early. But testing is better than theory
Yup, testing, practise, testing then practise again ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.