Serpent 710

Old 05-10-2004, 02:13 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Deans Charging Plug

Hi,

Glenn Cauley wrote an exellent article on Onboard Electronics - Switch and Charging System - Part 2 in that article he mentions the Deans Charging Jack. Does anyone know where i can get this jack from in Australia. I've had no luck so far.

These are the parts. Deans Charging Jack Set #1009 (qty: 1), Deans 3-Pin Connectors #1003 (qty: 2)
Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Deans Charging Plug

Just my 2 cents... But to me, the deans plug is a little overkill for gas powered cars.

Have you checked with the guys that play electric cars in your area? They should know where to get it.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:45 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Deans Charging Plug

Originally posted by InitialD
Just my 2 cents... But to me, the deans plug is a little overkill for gas powered cars.

Have you checked with the guys that play electric cars in your area? They should know where to get it.
I think good presentation is something to strive for that's why i wanted to use it. I've been using the standard Futaba type plug because i hadn't seen the Deans type before. I also run electric and have not seen anyone else using this connector.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Deans Charging Plug

Originally posted by B4
I think good presentation is something to strive for that's why i wanted to use it. I've been using the standard Futaba type plug because i hadn't seen the Deans type before. I also run electric and have not seen anyone else using this connector.
Just read the article.. I think it is great for that impact (which I`m not aware of as I never owned one). I`m wondering if the battery could not be taken out like most of current car nowdays? Thats quite a lot of works in order to be able to do the charging procedure faster in my opinion (unless the battery could not get out easly as nowdays cars).. and still involving removing one lead and plug the charger lead. What is the different with using extension cord coming right out from the receiver and connected directly to the battery pack? still the same 2 step procedure, take out and plug into the charger.

But hey... those article are from 2002 with a very nice on off switch that I never knew it existance. I believe he also did write tips on installing an on/off switch to the S710.. why dont you get an on/off switch with charging lead option instead? this way you will have only 1 step to charge your battery which is just plug that charger lead in
Old 05-10-2004, 04:59 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Deans Charging Plug

Originally posted by Pyramid
Just read the article.. I think it is great for that impact (which I`m not aware of as I never owned one). I`m wondering if the battery could not be taken out like most of current car nowdays? Thats quite a lot of works in order to be able to do the charging procedure faster in my opinion (unless the battery could not get out easly as nowdays cars).. and still involving removing one lead and plug the charger lead. What is the different with using extension cord coming right out from the receiver and connected directly to the battery pack? still the same 2 step procedure, take out and plug into the charger.

But hey... those article are from 2002 with a very nice on off switch that I never knew it existance. I believe he also did write tips on installing an on/off switch to the S710.. why dont you get an on/off switch with charging lead option instead? this way you will have only 1 step to charge your battery which is just plug that charger lead in
I've already ordered the on/off switch they are available from rc-mushroom for $25 USD.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default So you think ...

OK, something different ...

Now do you still think driving your RC car is hard?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deans Charging Plug

Originally posted by B4
I've already ordered the on/off switch they are available from rc-mushroom for $25 USD.
Just for your info, those Futaba original on/off switch with charging lead is USD9.5 RETAIL in here, Indonesia. Hong Kong should be cheaper or was it Bang and Olufsen brand that you bought? (j/k)
Old 05-10-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thrustbearing after run.

.....double post
Old 05-10-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thrustbearing after run.

Originally posted by InitialD
[B Mothership problem after Mother's day? No, I am not aware of it. [/B]
If it is... with your current contribution post on all serpent related forums.. you will save tons of marketing budget.. Not such a bad idea for having Serpent MalaysiaSport D..
Old 05-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Old 05-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know the partnumber for the 2-5 hole shock pistons? Or are they an update with the same part# as the 1-4 hole pistons?
Old 05-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by KevinS
Does anyone know the partnumber for the 2-5 hole shock pistons? Or are they an update with the same part# as the 1-4 hole pistons?
They are the same number
Old 05-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Been to the track again!

Again the conditions were not exactly ideal - rain overnight had left everything very wet once more I decided to go to the track anyway - but this time I wasn't wanting to run in the wet - got that out of my system yesterday

When I got there, there were still lots of wet patches, but it looked promising - clouds didn't though I used a couple of tanks to try and get the engine correctly tuned, running on rubber - why waste good tyres Apart from the one hairpin where there we some big damp patches, the rest of the circuit was ok - very slippy, but ok.
For the first time I was really able to drive the 710 with some agression. It felt really good, even on the rubber tyres.
After an hour or so, the track was 90% dry and I decided to put the foam tyres on Oh, man, what a difference With the rubber tyres I was getting way too much wheels spin, with the foams, the car just took off!

Now that I had my clutch end-gap at 0.5mm, the clutch engagement was working well - I no longer felt like the clutch was slipping/taking time to come in.

I was running the standard setup, just with the rear camber at 2 degrees instead of the setup's 3 - although looking at how evenly the tyres have worn, probably 3 would have been better.
I was running 40 shore tyres all round and althought there was a little bit of understeer, I think in the conditions the grip was really good!

I had to adjust the changing point of the second gear a couple of times - still don't think I've got it perfect, but its a lot better. And the engine definately needs to be tuned better - here I still have a lot to learn!

I then set of to drive as hard as I could for four tanks - this was a bit scary, as I didn't want to damage anything and the track was still lacking in grip and had a couple of damp patches. I needn't have worried - lap after lap I was able to maintain full pace (for me) - breaking worked well into the hairpings; I was able to keep it flat through the left kink at the end of the straight and powering out of the very slow hairpins was a delight. After two tanks I swapped wheels left and right to even out the tyre wear and then off once more. At one point I thought I was going to need some new bits: into the left kink at the end of the straight, there must have been some damp on the inside, as the car suddenly span 2 or three times through 360 degrees. It slid off the inside of the track and flew over the inside of the hairpin's curb. Fortunately, the car didn't roll or hit anything and I was back on my way.
At the end of the 4 tanks, I called it quits - the clouds were looking bad and I wanted to check the car over.

Measuring the tyres, I found that left rear was 62.19mm, left front 62.18mm, right front 62.17mm and right rear 62.19mm!!!! WOW!!! Each tyre was trued to 63mm before the 4 tank run and they wore exactly the same amount front and back - all using only 0.8mm for the 4 tanks pretty good!

I'm extremely happy with my 710 - it's a real pleasure to drive - next I'll start to play a bit more with the setup to discover how much I can get out of the car

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

SHOOT!!!! I'm gone a couple of days and I'm behind like 15 PAGES!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
SHOOT!!!! I'm gone a couple of days and I'm behind like 15 PAGES!!!
Always be online that's my addage!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.