Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
very nice !!
Thanks! I left the dirt on to prove I'd driven it.....just in case InitialD makes some comment
Old 05-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by markp27
Thanks! I left the dirt on to prove I'd driven it.....just in case InitialD makes some comment
Old 05-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You should see how dirty my car is after only a few a tanks of fuel at my track! Between running a little on the rich side and the track was soo dusty. The exaust side of the body is black!!! The whole car is completely dusty. Going to have to take it right apart now that I have completly broken in the car and just make sure everything is 100%. Not to mention I'll be able to give it a good cleaning once its all apart. Funny thing is, even with the kit tires, track super dusty, the car was still amazing to drive?? Should be fun this summer laying the smack down on those pour R40's everyone else is driving. Can't wait!
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Fortunately my track is kitted out with a compressor, so cleaning the car is pretty easy you do have to take car not to blast the bearings, though!

As soon as spring springs then there is loads of pollen from the trees (the track is in the middle of a forest) and the car gets absolutely covered - I'm sure you can imagine how nicely an oily car can attract pollen

I too was amazed at the grip available to the 710, considering the track conditions. I found I could go much faster into the big sweeper, at first I was hugging the inside of the corner from start to finish (i.e. not wide-in, wide-out), simply because I wasn't used to getting so much grip.

I think I'll try some 37 shore tyres on the front tomorrow - if it doesn't rain - it'll be interesting to see what the car is like with them on.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Set up?

Originally posted by Julius
Did you put your current setup on MyTSN? It's often easy to have a starting point. What bodyshell are you using?
Hi Julius i have been using the default setup of my-tsn, and having a look i thought i might try Rene Cornella's setup http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=2311 because he was using the front diff and try that the body iam using is a dodge stratus version 1

Last edited by Brett.w; 05-01-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Set up?

Originally posted by jfc_tech
nice track there....how long is that straight? The infield seems to be real tight. i guess the ball diff would really do good here. seems to be the brake gonna be used quite often. steering is important...try softer front shore or equal like 40/40 or 37/40...medium grip. i am using like this and it works for me coz our infield is tight too but our straight is around 200ft. i need lots of steering and brakes...i use initial brake on neutral throttle.works for me. i am still testing though. im using 37F/40R white F/yellow R springs
i hope someone else gonna share a thing or two here.
Hi jfc_tech our straight is too about 200ft and yes the infield is tight i might try the 37/40 as i am using 40/40 tires at the moment thnks for your advise
Old 05-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

...pollen...
Don't use that kind of language!
I'm allergic
Barely broke in my engine and my outdoor season is almost over...
Old 05-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Mission accomplished!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!

Finally got to the circuit to test/run-in my 710 After the minor hickup of forgetting to pack my fuel (I've been driving electric too much ) I set about doing my run-in with quite a bit of WOT Lots of nice oil spurting out of the exhaust. Didn't take long before the engine would turn-over without the pistion providing too much resistance when turning th flywheel

Onto the track without the body shell on - instantly it was obvious that this car handles!!!!! I could keep my lines tighter and the car basically did what I asked it to do
My track is pretty difficult to drive with a one-way, but with the 710, breaking is much easier to achieve than with the 705, although I still need to be careful not to rotate it with too much break dialed-in.
As most have said (and as the track is still slippery) there is a bit of understeer in the car, but nothing major and seeing as how the circuit has very little grip, I was surprised how little understeer was aparent. I was getting great grip coming out of the long left-hander onto the main straight and boy, going into the left-right flick at the end of the 90kmh straight, wow! the tail flicks out, the car gets sideways due to the bumps in the middle of the corner and then it just pulls itself back together even when I got a bit scared and lifted off the throttle. After the little fright, I kept the finger firmly pressed through the flick and each time, the car got sideways, but then corrected itself - fantastic!!!!!!!

In terms of tyre wear and grip levels - fantastic! After four full tanks, the tyres had only lost 1,5mm diameter! I was using the 0,5mm split which Julius advised and like he found, the tyre wear was pretty equall front to back and still gave a nice overdrive pull from the front. Next I'll try equal sized tyres front and back to see how that affects the acceleration out of the corners.

Unfortunately the rain which was forcast came I was at first confused why the 710 started spinning badly under breaking and I wacked the right front quite heavily against a barrier - bent the rim, but no other damage! no weaknesses hear - I had feared the worst after some of the reports of the 710 falling to bits so easily this isn't my experience!

After this, rain really did stop play - but I've accumulated enough experience with the car now that I know that this is a gaint leap forward in comparison to the 705

With regards the 2106 engine......WOW!
So easy to tune and loads of power/torque. With the 705 I had a "standard" SX 12 Novamega and that thing was so hard to tune - you simply couldn't tell when it was four-stroking or running lean. With the 2106 - dead easy. When the engine setup isn't right, you can hear it and the engine doesn't respond well - but when you tune it into the "zone" it sounds fantastic and responds accordingly!

Now what am I going to do with my 705? Hmmm, the difference between the 710 and the 705 is too great to go back (you were right Julius! ) I don't see the 705 getting much use now.

I just hoping now that the rain clears up and I can get onto the circuit again tomorrow, to do some more testing without having to keep overtaking those dreadful 1:5 cars

A couple of post testing pictures to show that the car has been driven
ok, ok, ok...u excited i know. yea dump the 705...better still send it to me....
im so jealous...here it been raining like crazy..night and day
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Second pic!

Cheers, Mark.
great..still in one piece...
now, where's the other body. the one painted like a champ...which one already...sorry now im confused
Old 05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Mission accomplished!

ok, ok, ok...u excited i know. yea dump the 705...better still send it to me....
im so jealous...here it been raining like crazy..night and day
I really can't see me driving the 705 so much now the 710 really does feel so much better.

If it is any consulation, it has been raining here again. I would normally have already set off for the track, but I know it'll still be wet, so I'm waiting until the weather brightens up - if it remains like this, the track will be wet the whole day
Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Mission accomplished!

I really can't see me driving the 705 so much now the 710 really does feel so much better.

If it is any consulation, it has been raining here again. I would normally have already set off for the track, but I know it'll still be wet, so I'm waiting until the weather brightens up - if it remains like this, the track will be wet the whole day
Man...in a way im glad too... Bcoz im at work...yes working on Sunday...only off on Tuesday
I think D is the happiest man now....must be on track already

every rainy day only contributes to a more cleaner car. nothing to do, so clean the car, open the engine, relube the bearing, refill the shock...and wasting my time here in rctech
yea...all the while using company's telephone line
Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mission accomplished!

Man...in a way im glad too... Bcoz im at work...yes working on Sunday...only off on Tuesday
I think D is the happiest man now....must be on track already

every rainy day only contributes to a more cleaner car. nothing to do, so clean the car, open the engine, relube the bearing, refill the shock...and wasting my time here in rctech
yea...all the while using company's telephone line
Yep What oil is best to use for the engine bearings?
Old 05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Default Weight?

How much does yours weigh? ok, I'm bored - the weather is awful and I can't play

My car weighs 1709 grams with only the fuel missing. How's this compare to anyone elses - mine is kitted with lots of titanium screws, so should be a bit lighter than normal.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Picture showing the weight
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-weight.jpg  
Old 05-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Weight?

How much does yours weigh? ok, I'm bored - the weather is awful and I can't play

My car weighs 1709 grams with only the fuel missing. How's this compare to anyone elses - mine is kitted with lots of titanium screws, so should be a bit lighter than normal.

Cheers, Mark.
mine already reached the 1750grm...with original steel screw added with some double rear shock tower(double original tower) with longer screw on both the steering ends with nuts and washer....with fuel reached 1802 grams.

during this rainy days..im installing titanium screw...hopefully will not reach the 1800grm even with full fuel. till then...

this tuesday 4th May..our EP race...so quite busy with my EVO 3. my old GP 3300 need some awakening. hopefully can reach the 5minute mark with 8.03 final ratio on 8T motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.