Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by NitroHead
Next time you feel yourself losing concentration, come in for a pit stop and do a little stretching to knock off the cob-webs!!! You would've won the race if you had!!!
That's a good tip ! Only if you know that you got a huge lead.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Or better still, come in for a pit stop and ask your pit man to clean your car's windshield!
Cool. And have coffee too?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Oh yes, still waiting for the damn shipment to arrive.

Can't wait to complete the rimmings on it!
What shipment are you waiting for? Christmas trimmings?

Hey, don't forget to shoot us a pic when you're done !
Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Cool. And have coffee too?
Oh yes, coffee does help me with my concentration at this time in the morning!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
What shipment are you waiting for? Christmas trimmings?
Oh, when I came to the UK I can only
"hide" so much in the suitcase (a 710 and an the old orange Loletta). The rest had to shipped by sea.

Hey, don't forget to shoot us a pic when you're done !
Will do for sure.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Oh, when I came to the UK I can only
"hide" so much in the suitcase (a 710 and an the old orange Loletta). The rest had to shipped by sea.
Oh yes. I forgot. But that was already sometime back right? Is the shipment including the rest of the loot? You could open an RC shop with all that stuff !
Old 04-13-2004, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: 2nd Round Summer Series

Well done Diesel Racer, and I thought you said you're not that good!
I'm improving but still a long way to go.

Did you go to the last Nationals? You should with that kind of performance. Apparently Mark Green got 2nd.
At the moment there is not a huge depth of talent at the club, but like me they are improving

I raced two weekends ago too at AMCC (no race over the Easter weekend). Qualified 8th in the foam class but had to leave the race before the final started!
We had a great meeting and the weather was excellent, your going to have to come down S&S and show us how it's done.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Diesel Racer
At the moment there is not a huge depth of talent at the club, but like me they are improving.
Racing at a club where there are alot of factory and importers-sponserd drivers isn't always fun.
At a clubrace you are lucky here to get in the B-final (more than 40 drivers in 1/10 200mm class).

On the other hand there is great support if someone has an problem or question (like me).
Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

whoops dubbel post.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very nice body !!

I have a question,

I read that the lighter the flyweights, the later they will engage?

did I read right?

so if this true, I would want heavier flyweights (not modded sitting on the pins) so that my clutch engages at a lower RPM?

I have moded the weights, I have .5mm on the spring and .5mm of housing endplay. But my clutch slips now and then and I want to get it responsive so the car moves as soon as I touch the throttle. Should I buy a new clutch shoe?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Profoxcg
Very nice body !!

I have a question,

I read that the lighter the flyweights, the later they will engage?

did I read right?

so if this true, I would want heavier flyweights (not modded sitting on the pins) so that my clutch engages at a lower RPM?

I have moded the weights, I have .5mm on the spring and .5mm of housing endplay. But my clutch slips now and then and I want to get it responsive so the car moves as soon as I touch the throttle. Should I buy a new clutch shoe?
The engagement RPM is influenced by:
- the clutchgap (between shoe and bell) Larger gap = later engagement
- The spring stiffness (stiffer = later engagement)
- The spring preload (more preload = later engagement)
- The flyweight weight (lighter = later engagement)
- The flyweight position (on pin gives later engagement then between pis for a same weight)

If you want the clutch to engage earlier the simplest way is loosening the spring preload.
If you modded the weights so they fit between the pins you may get an inconsitent clutch. This is because the angled portion of the weights is quite small and this makes the stick a bit when they move outward (only when cut and put between the pins). I currently am experimenting with a cut clutch shoe (I cut the holes out so I have three weights). They have a larger angled part which makes the clutch more consistent.

Be aware that you will lose bottom end when the clutch engages too soon.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks,
Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
I'm actually interested to know how did you know your clutch slipped?

For me, I will classify my clutch slipping when the clutch engages but it will seem that the clutch does not grab the car and launch out of the corners fast as it should.

If you want a responsive clutch, you need to lower the clutch gap to 0.4 or even 0.3 mm.

.5mm on the spring and .5mm of housing endplay should give you a pretty responsive clutch with the flyweight mods unless like what Julius mentioned, the flyweights do not retract and get push out smoothly... I also suspect that it could be a problem of your engine. Sirio engines are known to be softer on the bottom end with very good high end.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I know this depends on what tracks you run on but when does your 2 speed clutch engage? I think mine engages a bit too early, at around 30% throttle. Is that too early? I just like the 2 speed to kick in right when it hits the straight but it seems to kick in too fast as well in the turns which makes it a bit difficult to drive.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: 2nd Round Summer Series

Originally posted by Diesel Racer
I haven't even improved enough and am already going downhill!

We had a great meeting and the weather was excellent, your going to have to come down S&S and show us how it's done.
Hmmm, not sure about that. Although there wasn't a race on yesterday, I went to practise ayway and was surprised to see this blonde lady driving.

Needless to say, she promptly caught me up within 2 laps and smoked past me. I think she'll do a better job at showing you folks how its done. She was definitely using a 1-way and I think that's the best way to go at AMCC.

My car is set for LRCC at the moment. Time to change over I think!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.