Serpent 710

Old 03-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Makes we want to get a 2nd car ! One for playing with settings and one box stock for racing !
Give in to the darkside!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

After looking at what a TRS looks like im not that convinced as to how it will close your carb incase something happens. If the servo dies out or anything, that little spring does not look like is capable of moving the servo arm. Could I be wrong?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Crashed_1 and I drive our 710 cars at the local track to the max every weekend without fail ! If you call the 710 a glass car, I would not want to know what you'll call the NTC3 ! But seriously, despite a few bumps here and there, we hardly break anything on the 710. On the same hands, crashed_1 managed to stripped the diffs on the NTC3 (again) after a few rounds even before I came and have a chance to see it in action. (sorry I came late )
I didn't realise that crashed hadn't fully sucummed to darkside!!! You must work on in Master InitialD!

All cars a ultimately fragile - even my Surikarn I broke a shock tower on Friday evening - no idea how, as I didn't hit anything very hard - just caught it at the wrong angle or something.
Also when I started out last year with my first RC, I was breaking stuff as soon as I was off the racing line and this was with the 705 Tank!! I realised later on that it was due to me not taking care to setup the car/engine correctly, which meant I couldn't handle the car when it got a little out of shape - and I was tempted by the power of the engine to go too fast (the darkside is powerful )
Old 03-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
I didn't realise that crashed hadn't fully sucummed to darkside!!! You must work on in Master InitialD!
He's almost a lost cause ! He realises he's faster on the 710 but simply refuses to see the benefits of the darkside !
Old 03-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry for mentioning this again but want to ask about traction roll again If you just true your front tires and not your rears would you get traction roll as well? Meaning front tires are smaller in diameter. My suggestion is that it will but some one at the track said no need to true the rears just the fronts. Sounds weird to me.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
After looking at what a TRS looks like im not that convinced as to how it will close your carb incase something happens. If the servo dies out or anything, that little spring does not look like is capable of moving the servo arm. Could I be wrong?
You need to select a spring or an O ring strong enough to pull the carb back to neutral position during power cut off. Or course not too strong that it strains the servo and drains the receiver pack.

Best way is to simulate the test. When your throttle is at WOT, disconnect the power supply from the receiver by switching off / pulling the plug. Your TRS should be able to pull the servo horn back to neutral position.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Sorry for mentioning this again but want to ask about traction roll again If you just true your front tires and not your rears would you get traction roll as well? Meaning front tires are smaller in diameter. My suggestion is that it will but some one at the track said no need to true the rears just the fronts. Sounds weird to me.
Using smaller front tires than rear changes the overdrive of the car. The rear having bigger tires will push the front of the car on power (underdrive). Unless you really want that effect of know what you're doing, I would not suggest you running bigger rear tires than the front.

When you true the front tires, it is only natural to do the same for the rear to get them to equal tire diameter to maintain the 1:1 overdrive.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Re: parts breakage

Originally posted by B
Yes, no car is complete free from breaking. And that newer cars usually have a few problems that need ironing out.

I am only stating what is true. That aside, the mugen front knuckle is also prone to breaking, but that is pretty much it.

I have received good replies regarding my questions. Thanks very much to a number of invididuals for that.
It's actually very educated by having to drive other top cars and comparing each other so that you know what is missing in what area for that particular car.. which leads you to know exactly what to do with the chosen one to perform at its best. Rather then praying the one and the only having one as the best you or anybody elses should have and start denying the facts simply just because you chose to have that particular car.

Since you are a bit active in this thread, I believe you are thinking of getting one. Go ahead, get yours today. Maintanance is the beauty of this car and for this hobby. Adjustability.. I think you have read enough... but for average users, non factory sponsored driver I mean, your old and boring mtx3 will be more forgiving.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:57 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: parts breakage

Originally posted by Pyramid
It's actually very educated by having to drive other top cars and comparing each other so that you know what is missing in what area for that particular car.. which leads you to know exactly what to do with the chosen one to perform at its best. Rather then praying the one and the only having one as the best you or anybody elses should have and start denying the facts simply just because you chose to have that particular car.
This is exactly what I am referring to. I am open to all options. I do not work for Mugen or serpent or any other manufacturer for that matter, and therefore will look at all products in the same light as a customer.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Finally....First Driving Impressions

Weather: 78 degrees in Norcal weather
Track: Lemans RC in Fremont, permanent track but not treated in 4 weeks.

After almost 3 months into building and too little time decidated to the hobby, I hauled the gear to the local track to finally pay homage (and $10) to the locals.

Basically, the consensus was to run 45/40 shore (rear/front) on a good, treated day, but the current conditions were far from ideal. It's a fairly large track that's smooth.

My car was set up with default values and stock tires, EXCEPT for Red springs and Serpent 40 weight oil and 3 holes all around. A small amount of drag brake was used.

Driving experience (again, under less than ideal conditions):

1. Rear end broke loose EVERY TIME midway when coasting through the long sweeper after the back straight. Car pretty much felt like it hit a slick spot and fishtailed.

2. Rear end broke loose accelerating out of mid to tight corners (engine still running rich at this time).

3. Sure felt like it was UNDERSTEERING after a while, but then I realized I had subconsiously adjusted after a short half hour to go so darn easy on the steering, that the radius was just getting wider and wider as time went on. It was a crowded day and I wasn't about ready to spin out and get t-boned.

4. As in #3 above, my last run of the day ended up with me having a long "Board Meeting" which pushed out a front left hinge pin, having the suspension arm fall out, but breaking nothing (or so it appears for now). And yes, this WAS that dreaded sweeper described in #1.

It was late anyways, so I decided to pack up after about 6 tanks for the day.

If my memory serves me right, I should first stiffen up the front sway, or try yellow springs all around with perhaps 4 holes?

Any help or tips? TIA.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Finally....First Driving Impressions

Originally posted by zaiguy
Basically, the consensus was to run 45/40 shore (rear/front) on a good, treated day, but the current conditions were far from ideal. It's a fairly large track that's smooth.
Try 40 front and 40 rear as a start. Use the kit yellow springs and follow the 30wt shock oil and stock shock settings. You'll be surprised that the car handles very differently. Then fine tune from there.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Finally....First Driving Impressions

Originally posted by zaiguy
Weather: 78 degrees in Norcal weather
Track: Lemans RC in Fremont, permanent track but not treated in 4 weeks.

After almost 3 months into building and too little time decidated to the hobby, I hauled the gear to the local track to finally pay homage (and $10) to the locals.
Hopefully you'll find some more time soon - this hobby takes a hell a lot of time.
I was at the track for 8 hours yesterday, just playing about with camber and different tyre combinations (not a 710 though )
Old 03-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Finally....First Driving Impressions

Hopefully you'll find some more time soon - this hobby takes a hell a lot of time.
I was at the track for 8 hours yesterday, just playing about with camber and different tyre combinations (not a 710 though )
8 hours at the track adjusting the car.....man your fingers must of been black. Did other racers mistaken to think your finger look like a Hudy tool?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Finally....First Driving Impressions

8 hours at the track adjusting the car.....man your fingers must of been black. Did you by mistake think your finger look like a Hudy tool?
Yep, hit my finger twice with a hammer

But you're right my fingers are still black!!! Fortunately girlfriend didn't see them Must get them clean before go home!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally....First Driving Impressions

But you're right my fingers are still black!!!
Dont we feel like a kid again when our hands used to be dirty for days!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.