Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
What do you mean place a spacer? where? what for?
The spacer is to reduce volume in the tank so that you can tech at 75 cc. It is very difficult to get accurately at 75 cc with external fuel filter and fuel tubing length not to mention manufacturing tolerances.

Originally posted by Profoxcg
I am lost, but it sounds interesting. i use an external filter isnt that the same things as the new tank (in terms of function)
Julius mentioned that with the new tank also, a small external filter is required for insurance.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by clmbia45
It seems logical to try to soften a belt, but why would you want to decrease friction with the pulley? That's why the teeth are there, to prevent slipping. NO??
I think the friction between the belt and pulley remains the same. Just that it is easier for the belt to rotate around the pulley and bend around it when the belt is softer thus creating less rolling friction.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pyramid
Yes, the race was in JITC (big track for GP).. I would say not bad for my S710 to hit the JITC track for the first time (and me for the 3rd time within a year), I ended up in fifth (started from 9), already bottom out (bad decision in choosing tires shore) after 25mins of 45mins total A final. Goldfinger took the B1. Total entries were 47. JITC big track for GP layout could never be changed, only clockwise or counter clockwise for the past 4 years.
Congrats to both you and Goldfinger ! Any setup that you guys can share?

That's a fantastic track you have ! I wish I could drive there one day...

The car handle nicely... for comparison with others, if I may, it takes corners in a much `smoother` way which could make you go faster but also a little tricky on the throttle apply which might slow you down. Serpent drive train has always been very free.. but I found it difficult to get much corner speed (as I prefer a `natural` drag brake than adjusting the brake lever. But a I guess a free drive train would also have many advantages on other areas.
I tested the 710 on the weekend with a little drag brake when the car is at neutral throttle position. I think I kinda like it. I guess with some drag brag dialed in, you can still make the drivetrain smooth by applying some throttle when coasting at sweepers instead of letting off the throttle... The brake lever will be pushed backwards on throttle where the brake pads will not bind.

The RR12 engine surely worth the money than any other modified engine.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So what exactly are you doing "D"? Just spraying the belts or actually soaking them in a bowl of Silicone spray?? What is it exactly that your using to soak them? How long do you soak them for? Do you just wipe off the belts or wash them in soap and water? Thanks...
Old 03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Even we gear up to 4.5 final ratio and using EFRA pipe (115 deg.C), we not notice any power drop when it shift to 2nd gear.
With 710, sure you will get all of the attention in the straight line.

What 1st gear ratio / spur / pinion combo were you using? 4.5 ratio on 2nd gear assuming you use the lowest 23/55?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Is this true what this guy is saying about the 710 not being durable? Can anybody compare the durability of the 710 to the NTC3? Thats what I ran before so I know how strong that car is.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
So what exactly are you doing "D"? Just spraying the belts or actually soaking them in a bowl of Silicone spray?? What is it exactly that your using to soak them? How long do you soak them for? Do you just wipe off the belts or wash them in soap and water? Thanks...
I prefer to soak them as the silicone does not go to waste !

I soak them for 10 to 15 minutes. From time to time, I reapply them. Just leave them to dry. No washing in soap and water needed.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

IS it a silicone spray from an aerosol can?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Is this true what this guy is saying about the 710 not being durable? Can anybody compare the durability of the 710 to the NTC3? Thats what I ran before so I know how strong that car is.
Are you sure you want to compare with the NTC3?

Let's just say that the 710 holds it's setting when you race and your settings stays the same after race.

The 710 is not as durable as say the 705. It's more fragile in a sense but this coould also be due to the car being very much lighter and perhaps faster too !

Of course, any car will break on hard impact.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Prophet

IS it a silicone spray from an aerosol can?
Yup. The one you can get from the auto shop.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mazda 6

Looks like the body does not properly fit on S710. Anyone using this body ?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

I will say the NTC3 I had was a turd! Never held a setting for more than a few laps! ON small impacts does the 710 manage to stay together?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the silicone lube tip "D"!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Mazda 6

Originally posted by redsand
Looks like the body does not properly fit on S710. Anyone using this body ?
You'll have to switch the rear body post to the inside of the shocktower...that way the rear post will clear the rear wing...but just barely though.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Here's what I think. The rear lower wishbone of the current 710 is weak where the pivot ball threads in. One slight tap with the boards and it'll start to loosen badly...ever tried driving with one side -8º toe? Good news is SERPENT realised the problems and are coming out with newer versions. Same with the rear turnbuckle of the NTC3 which they have fixed too...

Quality of plastics on the NTC3 is nowhere near the Serpent. I have both these cars...and I like them both. I just wished the NTC3 could be have quality parts like the Serpent...especially the adjustable hub.

Having said that, they both have their weak points :

Shocktowers on both cars are weak.
Rear suspension dept on both cars are weak.

Serpent wins hands down in the quality dept though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.