Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Originally posted by InitialD
slowest when compared relative to the drivetrain.
AHA! That helps me visualise it!!! The drive train is the constant! So wheels moving faster than the drive train simply freewheel (unlike diff driven wheels).
Old 03-01-2004, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I beg to differ my friend.

The one with available grip will lock and would receive exactly the same amount of power should both wheels lock. You see, the 1-way has no differential action and by virtue of this there is no "division" of available power even when both wheels are locked. Well ... maybe Julius can explain better.

Picture your car turning a sharp right hander. Off or on power, the outside front wheel has to travel further than the right, its "arc" in relation to the apex is longer.

OFF POWER

Both a Diff and a oneway will allow this to happen. They both allow one tire/outdrive to spin faster than the other. A solid front will not "allow" the left tire to spin faster than the inside and one of the tires will scrub.

In terms of corner grip, the oneway will give the most as its the "loosest" off power than all of them, then the diff, then the solid. The solid gives the least cornering grip as both tires are "scrubbing" and not able to provide their full grip.

ON POWER

The outside tire still has to travel further. With both the diff and the oneway it can.

The diff on power works almost the same as off power. Except that if the inside tire looses traction, all the power is forced to it, and it unloads.

The Oneway on power is different to off power. The front belt turns the pully on the oneway. The inside tire is provided power through the bearing locking at the outdrive. The outside tire, however, is not provided power as it has to turn faster than the inside tire, thus the outside outdrive is spinning faster than the oneway and the bearing isnt locking.

Now, if the inside tire lifts up or looses traction, power being transmitted to it through the oneway causes it to spin faster. When it is spinning at the same speed as the outside tire, the outside outdrive is given power and hence the outside tire is providing drive to the car. BUT only until the inside tire regains traction and once again is provided power from the oneway.

Thats all in a perfect world.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

still debating on how one-way works in RC? well, like what julius has posted, when you take a turn, there will be a weight transfer from inner to the outter side of the car, hence the outer wheel will have more pressure and less pressure on the inside front wheel. The one-way will now lock the inner front wheel to spin at the same rate of the transmission while the outer front wheel will spin faster than the inner front wheel due to the turning arc, in effect the inner wheel will pull the car through the corner and the outer wheel is freewheeling (coz its turning faster than the inside wheel) . Cons- braking can be very tricky. Suitable for big smooth track.

As for solid, the inside front wheel also spins at the same rate of the transmission and so will the outer front wheel which in effect will have same extra drag on the outer front wheel. This will cause the car to take a bigger turning radius than one-way. High wear on all tranmission parts. More suitable for tracks which require a lot of braking.

Have Fun!

Last edited by spawn; 03-01-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Don't think so. A one piece "solid" spool is still lighter in terms of rotational mass.
The reason I said "generally" is because most solid spools for other makes of cars I've seen are made of steel or spring steel. I've even seen one for the Impulse Pro/Impact made of spring steel.

The one which is lighter (you'll know the part number) is the solid aluminium one for the Impulse Pro/705.

By the way, I've seen a guy reverse a pair of his planetry gears in the front 705 diff to make it into a solid!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
AHA! That helps me visualise it!!! The drive train is the constant! So wheels moving faster than the drive train simply freewheel (unlike diff driven wheels).
Yeap ... sounds like that's it for this 1-way discussion!

Sparksy, Spawn .. thanks for the feedback.
Tech Elite

The reason I said "generally" is because most solid spools for other makes of cars I've seen are made of steel or spring steel. I've even seen one for the Impulse Pro/Impact made of spring steel.

The one which is lighter (you'll know the part number) is the solid aluminium one for the Impulse Pro/705.

By the way, I've seen a guy reverse a pair of his planetry gears in the front 705 diff to make it into a solid!
I've got a couple of those Alu axels - they are so soft!!! I don't really like them so much.

Reverse his what? Which parts are those?
Tech Prophet

Interesting - this would mean that when the inside and outside tyres (in a corner) have equal grip, then the inside tyre (i.e. the slowest) gets more power. And, if that tyre then looses traction, then the power would then more power would be transfered to the outside?
Yup. That's what I understood from Julius' reply.

EDITED: Got my inside and outside mixed up originally
Hope you're not wearing your shirt or pants inside out this morning to work !
Old 03-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Yeap ... sounds like that's it for this 1-way discussion!

Sparksy, Spawn .. thanks for the feedback.
Yep, I second that - great info guys (also to Julius' original post)
Old 03-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Hope you're not wearing your shirt or pants inside out this morning to work !
Pants (english) on the outside; trousers on the outside!!! Man it's happening again!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Yeah. I've also seen an Impulse PRO with the rear gear diffs also reversed with the planetary gears reversed ! Wonder whose car was that !
Old 03-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Pants (english) on the outside; trousers on the outside!!! Man it's happening again!!!!!!!
ROTFLMAO !

Pants and trousers discussion again?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sparksy and Spawn made the one way discussion so much easier to understand. Thanks! Or maybe I been in this country too dam long my English is starting to fade.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by cyba888
Sparksy and Spawn made the one way discussion so much easier to understand. Thanks! Or maybe I been in this country too dam long my English is starting to fade.
Mine's gone! Faded, fried, brunt, burried, trampelled on!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mine's gone! Faded, fried, brunt, burried, trampelled on!!!!
Join the club!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Reverse his what? Which parts are those?
Certainly not his pants or knickers or whatever ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.