Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help people!

Gonna rebuild it and seee if it doesnt stick anymore (it was build the right way but i started to doubt...) it sticked when i was starting. The clutchbell just got stuck and turned with the flywheel when i started, i couldent find nothing weird when i toke it apart so that's why the question about the endplay......cant figure this out yet...

Thanks a lot people!

Ron
Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridder
AFAIK it hasn't been posted here before, but some forum members already discoverd this site (some names in guestbook were familiar..).
But here is a site of a 710 driver that measured every single part of the 710 , put it in a very nice 3D modell, movies included.

Take a look !

http://home.12move.nl/bas.geurds/
Yea....I'm surprise SlowSteady didn't post this before
Old 02-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by justforfun
Hello people

I have bought the serpent 710 ith the Centax III clutch. I have some guestions about assembeling the thing.
I have shimmed the clutchbell at 0.6\0.7 mm and then started to look at the endplay, with everything installed and clutchbell play set like above i want to shim the endplay. It say's in the manual "reduce the endplay to minimal with the use off shims right after the springnut", so i need to shim it so that the clutchbell has minimal movement on the crankshaft axel? I ask this because the clutchbell can move over 1mm on the shaft? Do i need to shim it so that the clutchbell has minimal movement? If yes, doesnt that affect the clutchbell setting off 0.6\0.7mm ??

Maybe a dumb question but i find it difficult to read exactly what the manual means with endplay (Me being dutch with a englisch manual can cause this)
Thanks for any advice on this!!

Ron
I bought a second hand 710 a couple of months ago, took it apart and rebuild it.
I am also having troubles getting the centax right...took it apart numerous times, reassembled it and never convinced it was right.
A thing that didn't help was that I wanted to see how it pulled away and started the engine with my new starterbox, and every time some strange things went wrong...like the clutch disassembling itself....
But it pulled away when I applied throttle...
Found out that the starterbox was turning the wrong way
When the engine fired it turned itself in the right direction, but by starting with the box it loosened bolts....
Now everything is fine, but I still don't know if the clutch is OK....maybe next month the weather will improve....can't wait!
I have the car 4-5 months now and didn't drive 1 meter....
Old 02-04-2006, 12:21 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Hello people

I have bought the serpent 710 ith the Centax III clutch. I have some guestions about assembeling the thing.
I have shimmed the clutchbell at 0.6\0.7 mm and then started to look at the endplay, with everything installed and clutchbell play set like above i want to shim the endplay. It say's in the manual "reduce the endplay to minimal with the use off shims right after the springnut", so i need to shim it so that the clutchbell has minimal movement on the crankshaft axel? I ask this because the clutchbell can move over 1mm on the shaft? Do i need to shim it so that the clutchbell has minimal movement? If yes, doesnt that affect the clutchbell setting off 0.6\0.7mm ??

Maybe a dumb question but i find it difficult to read exactly what the manual means with endplay (Me being dutch with a englisch manual can cause this)

Ron
Ron, come to the MACH track tommorrow......
I will be there, but so will Jordy as far as I know, he sure can help you if i'm not available.......
Old 02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey M7H

I got the problem solved allready but a newbie cant get enough help and tips
I'll try to be at the MACH sunday but cant say for sure yet
Guess it's gonna be 1:8 power mostly tomorrow at the track, i'll see if i can fit in somewhere..
See ya at the track tomorrow (i hope)

Ron
Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Ok Ron, I will be there from around 10:00 till 14:00.....

If it's gonna be 1/8 power only I don't know....
I just rebuilt my 950R, so just NEED to drive with it.....

Virtual RC isn't enough during the winter months....... even though I can drive the MACH track......
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JustRace
Yea....I'm surprise SlowSteady didn't post this before

Actually I did FLee but 3hobby moves faster than you guys unless you visit daily.

See here :- http://3hobby.net/modules.php?name=N...rticle&sid=763
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

I have the car 4-5 months now and didn't drive 1 meter....
Ridder, this is bad ... you should try to catch some of those top Dutch drivers at MACH and get the clutch sorted.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
Virtual RC isn't enough during the winter months....... even though I can drive the MACH track......
I agree with you there! It used to be OK but ever since the last two updates, the simulator is beginning to be an annoyance. This latest one won't even let me log online any more even though I can use the same username and password to log onto the VRC website!

I've been trying to support via 3Hobby it but its becoming more and more impossible.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Ridder, this is bad ... you should try to catch some of those top Dutch drivers at MACH and get the clutch sorted.
Well...I don't wanna be a party crasher....didn't get a invitation.

I'm a member of a RC club with a small track (only since August) and the times I've been there, there was nobody...
That isn't much help...
So I thought...maybe I can ask if it is possible to go to the MACH...just to meet people and to get some help...so I wrote an email to MACH to ask about the possibilities...
In the reply I got, it sounded like they are not waiting for newbies/moving chicanes.....I got no other info than what the costs are!
Not very inviting.

So I got myself a Hudy setup system and try to absorb as much knowledge as possible from paper and internet to re-invent the wheel.

Before RC cars I used to fly RC planes. That was only recreational...no competition, but great fun! Even an old Spitfire pilot was flying his RC plane there...
It didn't matter what brand/class you were flying. As long as you had fun!

Maybe I haven't been long enough in the car RC world...but it looks like everybody is doing his/her own thing.

Hmmm...I sound a bit disappointed...probably because it's raining again, combined with withdrawal symptoms....
Old 02-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Ridder

Just get your ass to the MACH track!
I am a newbie like you and i dont know anybody at the MACH, i signed up anyway and packed my stuff and started racing (or something that in the future will look like racing..)
I also thought the MACH was a bit "closed" for newbies and some people act like that indeed, but that are just very few people!, The most off them are friendly and helpfull people. What MACH needs is more 1:10 scale drivers, that would make it easy'er for them to "have" the track for practice.
Anyway...sign up man, lot off good people will help you there and you get plenty off time to learn racing, the fast drivers wont bother you if you drive, they just pass you and that's all that can happen

Greets, Ron
Old 02-05-2006, 05:43 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

So I thought...maybe I can ask if it is possible to go to the MACH...just to meet people and to get some help...
Hmmm...I sound a bit disappointed...probably because it's raining again, combined with withdrawal symptoms....
Just get your ass to the MACH track!
I'm one of those MACH guys which comes there for over 20 Years now....

But I have to agree with Ridder, but also with Ron.....
Some people do tend to be a bit closed and not helpfull at all, but most of them will just give you the help you need.....

I'm also one of them to help you out where I can, but keep in mind that when I go to the track I also like to be buzzy with my own thing.........

I was planning on going to the track today, looked at the weather, had contact with somebody at the track, decided to stay at home and watch the malta-cup of snooker......

not next weekend, but the weekend after that (19 Feb) weather depending I will go to the track again, hope to see you there, then you can ask my ears off......
Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello people

Ron

Hi Ron,

With all of the Centax clutches, including the Centax-3, you need to eliminate most of the endplay. Do it this way... when the clutch is all assembled, try pulling/pushing the clutchbell. It should move only a very slight amount. If it moves more, the endplay (axial endplay) is too much and will cause all sorts of problems. Add the tiny shims onto the crankshaft in front of the flywheel nut (and behind the 1st bearing) to remove all but a tiny bit of endplay... what you want to do is ensure that the clutchbell is nearly "frozen in place" on the crankshaft (with just a bit of play).

Adjusting endplay to minimal has absolutely no effect on the clutch gap you set earlier (with shims near the thrustbearing).

As Jag mentioned, I have written a few articles on myTSN to help de-mystify clutch setup. I hope it helps...

Jag, thanks for the kind words!

Cheers, all !
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Glenn Cauley

Thanks for the clear instuctions! I got the clutch shimmed ok now but the next problem shows up (atleast i think it's a problem)

After shimming the endplay i noticed movement on the ax, looking closer i saw that the ax is moving in en out the crankhouse (hope that's the right englisch word), if i push inwards on the ax it moves towards the inside off the engine...i dont know how to explain it in good englisch so be creative

It moves in en out but not smoothly....it "clicks" in en out....i opend up the engine and the movement shows on the "piston driveshaft??" and the "flywheel" inside the engine. Hope this makes sence....

Also the ballbearing is leaking a little bit off oil?? or something...

The engine has run less then 2 liters fuel, one ltr for breaking in the engine using the WOT methode, the other liter or less was run at a rich setting so that should be ok i guess.

Can somebody please tell me if that "play" is normal and leaking from the bearing could be just afterrun oil and if that's also normal?
Thanks a lot sofar people!!

Greets, Ron
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by M7H
I'm one of those MACH guys which comes there for over 20 Years now....

But I have to agree with Ridder, but also with Ron.....
Some people do tend to be a bit closed and not helpfull at all, but most of them will just give you the help you need.....

I'm also one of them to help you out where I can, but keep in mind that when I go to the track I also like to be buzzy with my own thing.........

I was planning on going to the track today, looked at the weather, had contact with somebody at the track, decided to stay at home and watch the malta-cup of snooker......

not next weekend, but the weekend after that (19 Feb) weather depending I will go to the track again, hope to see you there, then you can ask my ears off......

OK, you talked me over!
I have been looking on the MACH website (and asked in my email) but do you have a kind of schedule?
I work shifts, so I have to work most weekends, but have a lot of weekdays off.
Are there newbie-days, 1:10 hours, closed days when the F180 is tested ??
The only info I got from the email is that it costs 7,50 euro for a guest (when to pay, to whom to pay??) , but that you are supposed to become a member asap. That's OK, but how much will that cost?
At MBC De Sluis I paid 110 euro for 4 (off season) months
And then I still had to take a leafblower with me and extension cord...because there was nobody else...and the track was covered with leafs.

Thanks in advance for the info and sorry for the OT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.