Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:39 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InitialD
Jag, my flywheel pins are also showing and they do not rub the clutchbell if the clutch bell is spaced out correctly. If yours is rubbing against the pin, then you need to shim the clutch bell correctty as per the manual and as per Glenn Cauley's article regardless if your clutch has worn down.
You are right. I forgot that that the clutch shoe moves quite a bit out towards the clutch bell. Not the other way around. It's not as bad as I thought. The pins should never contact the clutch bell.

The shoe did wear unevenly. I still don't know why.

Thanks,
jag
Old 09-02-2005, 05:46 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Qlone
I was at the AMCA track last sunday.
Am planning to go to the Mach track tomorrow and maybe sunday too...

M7H, club meeting? Going to be crowded there then?
well it is a meeting about the "spec" engine regulation we have at the clubraces, so the 1/8 clubracers should be there, and Yes I will run some laps afterwards, Don't know how many else will do that.....
Old 09-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jag
You are right. I forgot that that the clutch shoe moves quite a bit out towards the clutch bell. Not the other way around. It's not as bad as I thought. The pins should never contact the clutch bell.
It may be far-fetched, but what happens if one or more fly weights get stuck, or if the clutch shoe gets stuck on one of the pins. Then it would end up touching the clutch bell at an angle and wear unevenly?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Tech Rookie

hi guys, do you know where i can get SHARK pipes for my snake? i found on rcmart but i'm not sure it's fit my spring type header or not.

on the SHARK web site, looks like they don't have spring type pipe, but i saw some pictures of shark pipes which has three manifold springs on pipe and manifold connection.

i'm really tired of weak pipes which bents easily, even slightly touches. now i'm trying to get shark pipes because everybody says it's ultra strong.

so, could somebody tell me what's the code number of this spring type pipes and where i can get it? i'm currently living in L.A.

another option, RD turbo II. which one do you suggest?

thanks
Eric

Last edited by snake_eye; 09-03-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

I used to have a shark pipe on my 710. The pipes definitely are ultra strong, and after a lot of crashes it still looks merely 'slightly used' instead of 'completely destroyed'. It's best to buy a complete set (pipe + manifold) since the connection between them is the other way round than on most other pipes.
I don't use the shark pipe anymore because it was rubbing against my rear side belt pulley and would require too much modification (to my liking) to really fit. Other than that, it's a very nice and strong pipe, which also looks good.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

As far as the shark pipe try http://www.rc-mushroom.com/ this where I got mine from
Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys, finally i ordered RD Logics Turbo II (legal one) because my snake can't wait to rock . I'm using zx12 race and i hope it's gonna be good combination otherwise i'll get shark pipe set. i heard some advantage and disadvantage for shark pipe (such as, it makes engine slightly hot, makes problem for side pulley etc.) but i don't care. looks good

by the way, there's no pipe set on rc-mushroom. i found just two shark pipe but oldschool style (without retainer springs)

Last edited by snake_eye; 09-03-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jag

Thanks,
jag

Qlone's idea about 1 weight being stuck is one you should check for, but, just in case we don't understand you, want do you mean by 'unevenly wear'? Describe it in detail please
Old 09-04-2005, 02:07 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Qlone's idea about 1 weight being stuck is one you should check for, but, just in case we don't understand you, want do you mean by 'unevenly wear'? Describe it in detail please
The clutch shoe is worn at an angle. It is thinner in one area... like the clutch bell or the clutch shoe was leaning to one side and the clutch was slipping. I think it was because of the flyweights I was using.

Thanks,
jag
Old 09-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was having probems with my clutch. Tried the mods and suggestion posted here. Finally followed Julius's adivce going back to the stock setup and it worked.

Took off the 16t pinion and put back the 17t, changed to the 61t spur. Much better performance. I found out when I tighten the 16t pinion onto the bell, or 2nd gear pinion, the 5x10 clutch bearing would get stuck in the pinion
Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RoyU
I found out when I tighten the 16t pinion onto the bell, or 2nd gear pinion, the 5x10 clutch bearing would get stuck in the pinion
Here too, but not just with the 16t pinion. It's easy to tap them out though (use a large screw and the head of a screwdriver to gently tap them out) without damaging anything.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Since my wheelaxles seem to be pretty worn and I'm out of spare driveshafts I'm thinking of buying a set of CVD's. I checked RC-Mushroom out and found that the 3-Racing CVD's only are 16 USD / pair, while the Serpent ones are 24 USD / pair. Am I going wrong if I purchase the 3-Racing ones to save money (as I've said earlier, I'm always on a budget...) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Since my wheelaxles seem to be pretty worn and I'm out of spare driveshafts I'm thinking of buying a set of CVD's. I checked RC-Mushroom out and found that the 3-Racing CVD's only are 16 USD / pair, while the Serpent ones are 24 USD / pair. Am I going wrong if I purchase the 3-Racing ones to save money (as I've said earlier, I'm always on a budget...) ?

Thanks in advance for any advice
The 3Racing CVD's were not as durable as I would have liked. I have broken/bent several. I believe the better drivers don't damage them as much as I do. I just got the new Serpent CVD's but I have not put them in the car yet. They look very similar to the 3Racing ones. I hope the quality is better. Oddly enough, Serpent USA no longer sells the 3Racing stuff.

jag
Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Were they less durable than the stock dogbones? I keep braking my front "dogbones" in the oddest situations, I have broken one when I wen't in for fuel and at low speed (10 KPH / 6 MPH) drove into the pit barrier to stop in front of my mechanic..

My question is, are they less durable than the stock ones, the same, or better?

Thanks!

And, if anyone has been able to compare the 3Racing ones with the Serpents I would be very happy to hear your opinion! Not next weekend, but the next-next weekend we have a race, so I have to get my order here before that..
Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

I might be biased but having used the 3-racing ones before we had our own, I can say our quality is better. Also all parts are sold seperately. The pins the inserts even the dogbone part is sold seperate. So if you do wear out a part or brake a bone ou only need to replace that part.

But to be honest I never broke a dogbone or a cvd on the 710.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.