Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Guys,

I have just been reading the setup book that comes with the kit, it gives alot of great information, Just confused on the rear roll centre adjustments, the book gives adjustment for Longer Upper Arm and Shorter Upper Arm?
Nobody has answered my question yet
Old 12-27-2003, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

Also,

I am about 80% complete on my 710, have has only two problems. The first appears to be missing two grub screws for the front droop, i am however hoping i will find them at the end. Also the instructions show one off the front pulleys around the wrong way? I worked it out after playing around for ten minutes

Also, do you guys mark the shock collars with a nikko to help with tweak and ride height? If so how do you do it?

SN
Old 12-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Also,

I am about 80% complete on my 710, have has only two problems. The first appears to be missing two grub screws for the front droop, i am however hoping i will find them at the end. Also the instructions show one off the front pulleys around the wrong way? I worked it out after playing around for ten minutes

Also, do you guys mark the shock collars with a nikko to help with tweak and ride height? If so how do you do it?

SN
You will find the 2 grub screws in a bag with the throtle spring.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nobody has answered my question yet
The rear roll center adjustment spacers have 4 positions upper, lower, middle that requires you to shorten the arm to get correct camber and middle with a longer arm. 4 different roll center positions.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Pacman25
The rear roll center adjustment spacers have 4 positions upper, lower, middle that requires you to shorten the arm to get correct camber and middle with a longer arm. 4 different roll center positions.
Thanks Pacman
Old 12-27-2003, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by FAST1
Well........

We all know the car looks awesome but lets hear the reviews of how well it is on the track!!
I'll second that!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all! I'm new here.
Just built my lovely car, net weight 1510g, with printed body & new tire 1720g, how about yours?
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-my710.jpg  
Old 12-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Looks very nice Boy....

Where did you get the Ti screw's, rollbar and the anodised ball end screws?
Old 12-27-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default 710 kit problems?

I am so far very happy with my new 710. Haven't finished building it yet.

I'm wondering if anyone is having similar problems. It appears that I'm missing 19t layshaft gear, instead I have 2 22tooth mid gears (layshaft). Also the thrust bearing is missing one ball, does anyone know if what size ball to replace it with, or should I ask for another thrustbearing from serpent when I order the 19t gear?

I'm having problems with the manual calling out bearing sizes not in the kit , but seem to find them anyway to fit the part. For instance Shouldn't a 6x13 (manual description) ball bearing be a 5x13(as measured)? Or is there some other measurement system they go by?
Old 12-27-2003, 07:44 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by boy2rc
Hi all! I'm new here.
Just built my lovely car, net weight 1510g, with printed body & new tire 1720g, how about yours?
Nice looking car!

But, where did you get that nice digital scale from? And how much did it cost you?
Old 12-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by FAST1
We all know the car looks awesome but lets hear the reviews of how well it is on the track!!
Did you not read my earlier short review? The car handles like a pig. Don't buy it as it will be a waste of money ! It's a Serpent anyways, so that's not surprising...
Old 12-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Tech Prophet

The first appears to be missing two grub screws for the front droop, i am however hoping i will find them at the end.
Pacman25 is right. The two grub screws are in the separate pack where the linkage spring is. I guess Serpent missed that one out and decided to put it in later.

Also the instructions show one off the front pulleys around the wrong way? I worked it out after playing around for ten minutes
Which step was this wrong? To my knowledge, I didn't find any.

Yes, I mark mine with a marker pen. I notice that everytime you rebuilkd the shock, the shock cap does not end up at the same position. So marking it permanantly would be pointless.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: 710 kit problems?

Originally posted by tomkelley
I'm wondering if anyone is having similar problems. It appears that I'm missing 19t layshaft gear, instead I have 2 22tooth mid gears (layshaft).
Have you checked the bag? The 3 pulleys should all come in one bag. There will be 2 x 22T pulleys. One for the front side and the other for the rear side 2 speed layshaft. If you look carefully, they are clearly marked at the sides of the pulley flanges.

Also the thrust bearing is missing one ball, does anyone know if what size ball to replace it with, or should I ask for another thrustbearing from serpent when I order the 19t gear?

You can get the thrust bearing at any decent bearing shop. Size is 5 x 10 x 4. Else, you can get the one meant for the MTX-3. They are the same thrust bearing used on the Centax clutch.

Originally posted by tomkelley
I'm having problems with the manual calling out bearing sizes not in the kit , but seem to find them anyway to fit the part. For instance Shouldn't a 6x13 (manual description) ball bearing be a 5x13(as measured)? Or is there some other measurement system they go by?
I don't know how that could be difficult. I always follow the bearing size convention as follows;

Inner diameter x Outer diameter x Thickness

Well perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that Serpent has a tendency to NOT mention the thickness of the bearings used.

So to cite your example, the bearing referred to by Serpent as 6x13 is actually 6x13x5 which you refer to as 5x13. Same thing. Different measurements and convention.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: 710 kit problems?

Originally posted by InitialD
Have you checked the bag? The 3 pulleys should all come in one bag. There will be 2 x 22T pulleys. One for the front side and the other for the rear side 2 speed layshaft. If you look carefully, they are clearly marked at the sides of the pulley flanges.
Yeah I looked all over for it, there is no 19tooth gear. I have 3 22 tooth gears (2 marked mid, 1 marked 2sp), and one 24t marked 2sp. I only need one mid 22t, not two. I do however have the 19t flange, woohoo!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by InitialD
Pacman25 is right. The two grub screws are in the separate pack where the linkage spring is. I guess Serpent missed that one out and decided to put it in later.

Which step was this wrong? To my knowledge, I didn't find any.

Yes, I mark mine with a marker pen. I notice that everytime you rebuilkd the shock, the shock cap does not end up at the same position. So marking it permanantly would be pointless.
InitialD: I believe it was the 19t pulley on the runner, the manual shows the pulley the wrong way around, the countersunk part on the pulley needs to go in first so the e clip lines up?

Oh, and Pacman & InitialD i found those grup screws thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.