Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by PUNISHER
I believe Julius already address this............It depends on what (witch brand) of servo you are using. As long the epa is close to where you need it.

However, nice job on the CAD and your question because I will be in the same boat as you in Spring 2004 when I get my 710.
Thanks....and I thougth so too, but again, I cannot agree that particular servo setting is the "what brand of servo" problem, it is kinda like a RULE, all the steering linkage between the linkage to the servo horn must be form 90 degrees.....no matter what servo you use.....at least, that is what I have been taught of...

I have plenty of 710 right now in my house.....but I am just putting them on ebay and online for now....I don't need to build one now, cause SNOW and single digit weather does not allow me to run NITRO...who knows, that might be a 710R when the time Nitro season start...LOL (Julius and other Serpent ppl, I am JUST KIDDING.....)
Old 12-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Angry Re: Re: Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

Originally posted by InitialD

Those spacers are inherited from the 705. Since I do not use shock towers on the 705, those spacers are laying around in the toolbox. I found that the shocks are not as straight as they should be (me thinks) when mounted as shown in the manual. It was like that on the Impulse PRO and when the 705 came out, they came with those spacers and the reason for that was the front shocks could be aligned straight and better.

What does Team Serpent think this? Since the 710 was designed from the ground up, why was this overlooked since the bulkheads could be made to shift a little bit behind?
Still no answer, and i (and others here from MACH) have the same problems, it's like the old story of the 705. I hope Serpent has a solution in the new kits (and ofcourse for us with the old kits) for this!
Old 12-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Last year, I was running my NTC3, so I don't have to deal with the front shock of the 705 and Serpent PRO problem, but I have 2 close friends that run 705....one mounted the shock behind the tower (like D) and one is using the stock setting, mount them in front of the tower per manual said.....the 705 that mounted in front, broke at least 10-12 front shock shaft last summer, the record is 3 shaft in 1 race day.....and they all snapped at the threaded area between the shaft of the ball cup.

From what I have seen, that is exactly like "D" said, the shocks are placed in ANGLE (from the TOP VIEW look down)....with the screws mounting them in, it might be some tension formed somewhere on the shaft....so as long as the IMPACT (while racing) is strong enough, it will snap.

My other friend, saw the problem at the beginning, mounted the shock behind the tower, and exactly like "D", he has to add some spacer to form a straight line from top to bottom (again, looking down from the top to bottom).....but, he ended up 2 broken shaft in the last race season, and that is absolutely acceptable.

Will the 710 do the same...? I really don't know, but I will definitely mount the shock BEHIND the tower and try to make the shock positiioned as straight as possible (by adding more spacer)
Old 12-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Yeah, I still little wirier about this lay-down steering servo mount on these cars that doesn’t really benefits all that much. This will be the first kit to put together as a “newbie” because all I have putting together is Serpent cars with the old Impact layout. I can put those cars together and set-up blindfold….LOL

I’m not getting my 710 just yet because I want to see what kind of response from people with them. Also my 705 is still an awesome car to drive and finding more and more things to improve my driving skills on this car!! Man, I love leaving here in Texas were the temp was almost 80’s yesterday and plenty of sunshine!! Also three new perment tracks are being build right now in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio & Houston) for the 2004 season that will make anyone else just envy for not being a Texan!!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Who is Mr. D?

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Look carefully at his pics, the brilliantly polished Shark pipe might just reveal who he is!
Heheheh, just like looking through the snakes eyes?

I think you need CSI capabilities to decipher my image from the pipe !

Ummm, I knew it's a conspiracy by Mark to give me those Photoshop filters to me to try and make my car look gleaming. Ok, from now on, I should throw mud onto the pipe or even any shiny parts to get any reflection out !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Who is Mr. D?

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
not sure where I've seen that, but I think that particular piece of equipment that I was thinking are required some "batteries" opperated and it is not designed for RC use....it is for....ah, I am not sure I should say it here.....LOL

Hey, I think you need to visit the sex shop more often ! It'll then jog your memory !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 13

When will the Ti option parts be available from Serpent for the 710? I would like to know so I can get those parts when I build my 710!!
Titanium parts? Are you crazy? When you build the car, you'll know that Titanium parts are NOT necessary. The car is super light in stock form ! Unbelievable.

I think perhaps Serpent purposely built this car light to cater for those of us who might want to put bling bling parts on it !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks....and I thougth so too, but again, I cannot agree that particular servo setting is the "what brand of servo" problem, it is kinda like a RULE, all the steering linkage between the linkage to the servo horn must be form 90 degrees.....no matter what servo you use.....at least, that is what I have been taught of...
I tend to agree with you on this Rookie. While I this is the first car I built with a laydown steering servo, I think it is rather a RULE to follow that the linkages and the servo horn should be at 90 degrees. BTW, excellent CAD diagrams. It would be difficult but if those diagrams were to scale, you could even determine what's the best length and angle and servo hor position without even doing and experimenting on the car !

I have plenty of 710 right now in my house.....but I am just putting them on ebay and online for now....
Plenty? So you're the one hogging the stock?
Come on... Build one and you'll be hooked and assimilated like Julius said !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 5

Originally posted by Julius
I would suggest using countersunk head screws on the front shock tower. This looks waiting to break.....
With eyes that sharp, I'll fly with you anytime!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Yeah, I still little wirier about this lay-down steering servo mount on these cars that doesn’t really benefits all that much. This will be the first kit to put together as a “newbie” because all I have putting together is Serpent cars with the old Impact layout. I can put those cars together and set-up blindfold….LOL
I'm also still keeping my 705. Yeah I know what you mean. I actually had a very brief encounter actually driving the 710 while helping to break in the engine in the car. On the track, it was indeed very easy to drive unlike when a person first built a 705. The car changes direction really fast but yet the rear is very controllable. No rear swapping ends when making sudden turns. I think this is due to the light weight, low CG with most of the mass concentrated at the bottom. Excellent steering and acceleration. This is when the car is not set properly yet. All in all, I'm very excited about this car. Can't wait to try mine on the track. With the increased power to weight ratio, it will be interesting to see this car blast past other cars on the straights !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 13

Originally posted by Julius
It looks hollow from the 2-speed side. There is a grub screw inside to hold the pin in position so there is no way it can become jammed between the 2-speed shoes.
I actually did not notice that a grub screw could be put inside to lock the pin in position !

Anyway, why add more rotating mass? I'm a diet freak !
Old 12-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 17

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
D, the car just look too nice and well built to drive!
Well, you're too kind ! Thanks.

So you're saying I should keep it in a rotating glass casing with spot lights around it?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: PM

Originally posted by Diesel Racer
InitialD, I've been trying to send you a PM but your mail box is full.

It is now cleared ! My sincere apologies.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 17

Well, you're too kind ! Thanks.

So you're saying I should keep it in a rotating glass casing with spot lights around it?
Nice pics. D...
Looks like you are ready to rock n roll this weekend.
D, tight your clutch a bit more and dont change the stock 1st gear ratio. You will not notice much difference in acceleration conparing with 705 1st gear ratio(7.12)
Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Serpent 710 Pics - Part 13

I actually did not notice that a grub screw could be put inside to lock the pin in position !

Anyway, why add more rotating mass? I'm a diet freak !
The grub screw would be right on the centerline of rotation... so the small amount of weight added is bugger all... compared to the security of the pin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.