You're preparing yourself for a no show
In essence the setup will be similar to Rene's, as I asked quite a bit of advice from him.
To give you a run down, I started on the first day with a setup which was a mixture of MS's from last year and Julius' Lux setup.
I changed the front diff to a one-way after the first session, as I couldn't get the diff to work at all. The one-way was really good with drag brake, but the track wasn't so driveable on the first day due to very little grip.
On the second day, I started to traction roll and I found a couple of problems with the setup, so I changed to a solid diff. This proved to be better, but the car was still trying to roll off power - on power was no problem whatsoever.
After talking to a guy called Steve Brown, it looked like my suspension wasn't working too well, so I rebuilt my shocks with 35W oil and 2 holes all round. On the bench, the suspension moved a lot better and looked more stable.
On the track however, I was still battiling with traction roll off power.
I could see through the fast sweeper why I was traction rolling off power and not on power. Under power, the front inside wheel would lift off the ground which caused the car to understeer slightly and then when I released the power, I could see that the rear inside wheel would also lift off the ground and I believe this excessive weight transfer was causing the car to roll
I could also see this effect when lifting the front and rear corners of the car on the bench, so I adjusted the downstops in order to make this less pronounced.
Unfortunately I had very limited track time - simply as I was working by myself in the main, so I couldn't really try out the things I was changing so well.
It was only at the end of the second day of qualifying that I found the big mistake which I had made. Althought the traction rolling was better, it was still present after all the changes I had made - Rene had suggested opening the front shock fully and setting the rear shocks to one hole of the softest setting.
I had made the changes and again the effect wasn't what I had expected - at this point I wanted to put my car through tech inspect to see if all the dimensions of the car were ok. I asked the guy to check the tracking width to see if I was inside the limit - I was shocked when he said I had about 4mm spare at the front
All the time I had been running with the front end set to 196 or 197mm!!!!!
No wonder I was traction rolling.
Quickly I set about changing the front tracking to 200mm - the change was brilliant - no more traction rolling and the car was stable.
I had by now changed back to the diff, which I prefered to the locked one-way - if not for anything else, as it was stronger - I had already destroyed a one-way out-drive
By this time, there was no way I could try anything else out before my last two qualifying sessions, so I basically took the shock positions and rear roll bar advice from Rene.
The setup worked very well and I was able to do some really good laps at first - 14.4 to 14.6 at first, I think. But then I had problems with traffic and my body work got stuck under the rear wheel. As that happened the anouncer had said I was on for a 20 lapper in 5:05
The body work cost me at least 13 or 14 seconds and I finished the session with 19 laps at 5:01 or so.
In my last qualifying session the e-clip came off my car right at the start and it couldn't be replaced in time
I was happy with the setup which I had got to and for the final, I mounted the rear wing further back, as it was suposed to be more stable.
Indeed the rear wing change was very good, but engine problems didn't allow me to see how good it could have been.
This will definately be my start setup for next year, but I may revert back to the one-way and drag brake.