Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Got it!

Originally posted by pineapplet
Well, after racing my trusty 'ol impulse pro for nearly two years , i just collected my 710 a few days ago... (and my impulse was indeed trusty... took lots of development time but the car was almost race-failure-free.. only driver errors limited its success...)

Unfortunately, i have to learn not to fix it cars at odd hours in the morning... Even before its hit the track i've managed to break stuff! .. First, it was the G-clip holding in the rear diff's thrust bearing... I accidently assembled it without the 4mm screw in place, and when i clumsily removed the clip to amend that, i snapped one of its ears clean off!! Now i gotta go hunt around for this weird piece of fastening hardware.. my LHS says he'll have to disassemble an old impulse/705 diff for a replacement clip but i'd rather go out to look for a new one.

Then last nite (or rather, this morning), i'm happily pre-threading the shock rod-ends and accidentally screw in too far, splitting the rod-end in half... Bleah! Luckily, unlike most other stuff on the car, the shock parts are interchangeable with other serpent cars...

I don't consider myself a complete klutz .. but amongst the cars i've wrenched on (mostly 1/8 buggies, the incredibly well-engineered x-ray, etc), the serpent remains the most challenging to build correctly. The next time i sit down to finish up the car, i'm gonna get a nice cup of coffee first...

Btw, is anyone having problems with the rear susp holder inserts? Do you have to file the holes of the inserts in order to get a smooth susp behind? I filed out the front holes and it feels nice there...

Anyone got building tips to spare? I found the rx positioning tip really useful!
filing holes?? yea been there, done that with my 705.......
I've done it so oftern that now everyone call me Lawnfiler... in fact, you can send me your 710, and I can file them for you...
Old 12-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by GoldFinger
You will defenetly dissapointed...
I'll start to build last night and bang!! done.. in 5 hours only!!
(minus electronic and shocks)
You wont believe that I did not touch my "luxurius diamond file" and "ultimate dremel weapon" or hair dryer to build this snake.
Part fit is awesome, "play" is already there, well done from tooling job.
Its like building "stiffener car" coz, the design is stiffener over stiffener. Looks very solid but still lighter than 705 I guess.

Tips
- use 1 step tighter from manual for rear belt tension
- tighten both side stiffener first than X bracket and top deck.
coz the stiffener design is flush with chassis and top deck

Dislike:
- To mount engine, must take off the right-side stiffener
- Rear lower hinge pin had to cut, so if "hardcore guy" slam from the back, it did not locks the nylon trackrod movement.
- Chasis should be milled a bit,right bellow the front belt to make enough clearance so the belt does not scrub the chasis

We should gave credit to the snake team this time.
Cant wait till friday when my 710 hit the road for the 1st time.
How did you get away without any filing and 'hand-fitting'???

I couldn't get the front susp to be 'loose' without some filing. ('loose' as in when i hold up the hub, it will drop by itself without needing the slightest push).
Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Got it!

Originally posted by lawndoggie
filing holes?? yea been there, done that with my 705.......
I've done it so oftern that now everyone call me Lawnfiler... in fact, you can send me your 710, and I can file them for you...
Yup.. and same with my impulse.. The one car i've never had to such things for was the XRAY.. a builder's dream.

Last nite, i also found myself chucking the shock shafts with the pistons attached on the dremel... for quick 2 second spins on fine sandpaper...
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by lawndoggie
Did I say it comes with the AE 86 pearl white body with sand blasted black trim??
Ok, what's your address? I'll send it straight away !
Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Got it!

Last nite, i also found myself chucking the shock shafts with the pistons attached on the dremel... for quick 2 second spins on fine sandpaper...
Old habits die hard !
Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Data
easy, just say it belongs to your friend, like the novamax you had shown us before. i did it last time and it worked.
so how many rc things you have that belongs to your friends in your house? I tried that too but does not work anymore

InitialD has been hypnotised by the LHS to buy the 710. The LHS is watching you INITIALD!!!, once taken no return allowed. Then sell me your 705 really cheap

Last edited by spawn; 12-16-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Got it!

Originally posted by InitialD
Old habits die hard !
heh heh.. i hope i haven't further insulted serpent engineering because after the dremeling, i also put goops of AE green slime all over the shock o-rings before sealing them up... Can't a boy have some fun building his little cars?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
InitialD has been hypnotised by the LHS to buy the 710. The LHS is watching you INITIALD!!!, once taken no return allowed. Then sell my your 705 really cheap
No return policy? I thought I smelled something fishy !
Old 12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got it!

i also put goops of AE green slime all over the shock o-rings before sealing them up...
Oh, you remind me a lot like me !
Old 12-17-2003, 12:05 AM
FTSPEEDWAY

I was talking to Serpent USA today 12-16 and the 710 are in and shipping. I should be getting mine tommorow or Thursday the Latest. I cant wait.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

You will defenetly dissapointed...
I'll start to build last night and bang!! done.. in 5 hours only!!
(minus electronic and shocks)
You wont believe that I did not touch my "luxurius diamond file" and "ultimate dremel weapon" or hair dryer to build this snake.
Part fit is awesome, "play" is already there, well done from tooling job.
Its like building "stiffener car" coz, the design is stiffener over stiffener. Looks very solid but still lighter than 705 I guess.

Tips
- use 1 step tighter from manual for rear belt tension
- tighten both side stiffener first than X bracket and top deck.
coz the stiffener design is flush with chassis and top deck

Dislike:
- To mount engine, must take off the right-side stiffener
- Rear lower hinge pin had to cut, so if "hardcore guy" slam from the back, it did not locks the nylon trackrod movement.
- Chasis should be milled a bit,right bellow the front belt to make enough clearance so the belt does not scrub the chasis

We should gave credit to the snake team this time.
Cant wait till friday when my 710 hit the road for the 1st time.

I think to build in 5 hours a serpent race car is a record J.

About your nice Tips :
I was driving with the belt tension like in the manual for more than 20 hour without any problems. But it’s not bad thing to tighten it a little.
The second tip is a nice pne.

About the thinks you don’t like :
It’s not true that you must take off a stiffener to get the engine out or in the car. In begin it’s easy to push the brake-disk to the right side until the flywheel has passed. After a few tries it’s no problem any more.
About the hinge pin’s: You can do it like you did, but than you can not get it out that easy when you want to change the roll centre. So one good and one bad thing.

You don’t must wait until Friday take a day of.

Rene
Old 12-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

How did you get away without any filing and 'hand-fitting'???

I couldn't get the front susp to be 'loose' without some filing. ('loose' as in when i hold up the hub, it will drop by itself without needing the slightest push).
Tip:
- 808340 Ball-cup for pivot ball 8.5mm
808344 Adjusting nut M10, using CA glue this part together.
You will get tight joint and still manage free suspension.

Instead abobe parts :

IN FRONT
- Should be no problem since both arm(lowr and upper) is hold by 1 piece part. If still, loosen every screw by half turn. Tighten the all the screw that will make "bulkhead assy" in 1 piece. Then tighten the lower 2 screw that holds "bulkhead" on chasis.
- Remove caster clip and check arm moving.

IN REAR
- I was tempting to use my "luxurius file", the problem in the insert. Clean all the flash in the insert even a little flash, especially in the back end (where you going to put inside back plate or front mount) Coz if still in there, it wll reducing the arm "play".
- Loose and tighten the screw like in the front. But this time dont
tighten lower(on chassis) then. Install and tighten the top carbon (brake and stab. holder) mount. This carbon is playing a major role of the rear assembly. After that tighten the screw on chasis.
If the problem is still persist just send it to "D" Master Builder.

Hope this help.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Prophet

How can I be the master builder when I have not built the car myself?

Thanks again. The assembly feedbacks are all valueable. Now you've gotten me closer to the dark side !!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Tip:
- 808340 Ball-cup for pivot ball 8.5mm
808344 Adjusting nut M10, using CA glue this part together.
You will get tight joint and still manage free suspension.

Instead abobe parts :

IN FRONT
- Should be no problem since both arm(lowr and upper) is hold by 1 piece part. If still, loosen every screw by half turn. Tighten the all the screw that will make "bulkhead assy" in 1 piece. Then tighten the lower 2 screw that holds "bulkhead" on chasis.
- Remove caster clip and check arm moving.

IN REAR
- I was tempting to use my "luxurius file", the problem in the insert. Clean all the flash in the insert even a little flash, especially in the back end (where you going to put inside back plate or front mount) Coz if still in there, it wll reducing the arm "play".
- Loose and tighten the screw like in the front. But this time dont
tighten lower(on chassis) then. Install and tighten the top carbon (brake and stab. holder) mount. This carbon is playing a major role of the rear assembly. After that tighten the screw on chasis.

Hope this help.
Woah thnks! Helps a bunch! I'll try out loosening the rear bottom screws to begin with... I had them wrenched down BEFORE installing the stiffener.. maybe that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure my inserts are neatly pushed in... not misaligned in any way.

Thnks!

(initialD - i sure hope you don't drive like i do though! that would be highly unrecommended! )
Old 12-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

- I was tempting to use my "luxurius file",
OK... i'll bite cos i'm new to this thread.. what *is* a "luxurious file"??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.