Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default hi mark

what body is that in you car looks really nice!!
Old 10-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Brett.w
I dont want to take anything away from The Kyosho team they did an excellent job, However it does seem they got a little lucky with there car at THIS track. After reading the reports it seems the car was super fast as soon as it hit the track.
I wouldn't like to say they were lucky with car/track combination, I'd prefer to say that it will be very interesting to see how they go in up-and-coming events like the Winternats. If they are able to perform again at a similar level, then we can say that they have designed a super, super car. Until then, we can really only conclude that they did a super, super job at the WC.....everything else is pure speculation.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: hi mark

Originally posted by BIBOY
what body is that in you car looks really nice!!
The all dominant Mazda 6 You can see, here's a bigger pic:

Old 10-17-2004, 04:30 AM

Great comments Mark, teamwork always needed and will always give great advantage. I'm looking forward to hear what mytsn got to say
Old 10-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pyramid
Great comments Mark, teamwork always needed and will always give great advantage. I'm looking forward to hear what mytsn got to say
Thanks Pyramid! I'm interested to hear what went on at team Serpent, too.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Anyone with a 710 kit which has a copper coloured 17T gear?

I've just been putting my together and have had real problems with the clutch gap setting. Doing the A-B measurement, I only get 0.5mm, which means no shimming at the thrust bearing end, but when I come to shim the end play, that's when the problems reveal themselves.

I started off shimming the end play with 0.3mm, I soon got to 0.7mm before I started to think that something was wrong.
When I took of the bell housing, I notice the two metal bearing weren't even been pressed back against the end-play shim!! And when I started to look closer and compared the bell housing with my current 710, I found that the two metal bearings (and yes I have the spacer washer in there) "sunk" too far into the bell housing in comparison to my current 710

I then compared the copper coloured 710 gear with my current one and it is much deeper, i.e. the metal shielded bearing goes much further into the gear than with the black coloured 17T gear.

Have I missed something here or have I got the wrong 17T gear?
Old 10-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pyramid
OK, here is question for the three musketeers,

Tsyach-Indonesia is in 6th with hiss RRR while MSalven-we all know is in 7th. The car or else? share your toughts, the next worlds might be in Indonesia
Pyramid, what engine was Teddy using? I think it has got to be more to do with the engine/car and not an issue of Teddy vs. Salven. Don't get me wrong, Teddy is obviously as good if not better than most on the top 10 drviers there and he'll get even better from now on. He's a celebrity back home from his profession and now this.

IMHO the RRR was suited for this track, this doesn't mean it will suit every track in the world. We all know the 710 is no slouch ... it IS after all the European Champion, and carries 7 National Champion titles too. It'll be interesting to find out if the RRRs were driven in all these previous championships and by whom. The 710 also spoiled TOTAL domination of the RRR on the top 10 so like I said, it no slouch.

If you believe what the designer said ... he built it with bumpy tracks in mind. MS was definitely affected by the traction roll. This is NOT saying he was traction rolling in the finals but if you are racing at that level AND you remember a few days ago you had problems at a particular part of the track, don't tell me in a WORLD final that you won't remember or even sub-conciously get reminded whenever you cross the problem area. At the very least MS would have had to compromise some part of his set-up to prevent the traction rolling in the first place.

As for the engines, no matter what Teddy used, or the Sirio, they're comparable to the Mega BUT they're obviously different. The Mega apparently gave better top end (see the post about the top speeds) but the Sirio is probably the better one in terms of all round (bottom, mid and top). Combined with the RRR the pairing worked flawlessly! You did not hear of the combo having handling issues, traction roll issues nor flameout issues.

And where is the comparison with Mark Green. He had the most overused 710 (bless him for fighting all the way from the bottom!) and outqualified both Teddy and MS. And the final results? Well ... go here to see.

Lastly, you have to give it to Kyosho who gave it their all for this first title. They showed to win. They didn't show up just to show up. Well done Kyosho and well done Serpent.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Anyone with a 710 kit which has a copper coloured 17T gear?

Originally posted by markp27
I've just been putting my together and have had real problems with the clutch gap setting. Doing the A-B measurement, I only get 0.5mm, which means no shimming at the thrust bearing end, but when I come to shim the end play, that's when the problems reveal themselves.
Do you have the black flywheel? Are you using the brass cone that comes with the kit?

Originally posted by markp27
Have I missed something here or have I got the wrong 17T gear?
Mark, can you post a pic or something to show how the bearing sits in the 1st gear pinion from the front side? (where the thrust bearings is)

The bronze coloured 1st gear pinions are suppose to be new. The first batches of the 710 required you to use a very thin aluminum shim before screwing the 1st gear pinion onto the 2nd gear pinion to make the spurs gears run true.

The new ones do not require any of those thin aluminum shims anymore as the pinions already have been built correctly to incorporate them. This means that the 1st gear pinions will be protruding more outwardly.

It could be that this is the case with yours.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
As for the engines, no matter what Teddy used, or the Sirio, they're comparable to the Mega BUT they're obviously different. The Mega apparently gave better top end (see the post about the top speeds) but the Sirio is probably the better one in terms of all round (bottom, mid and top). Combined with the RRR the pairing worked flawlessly! You did not hear of the combo having handling issues, traction roll issues nor flameout issues.
I'm actually interested if someone used the same Sirio in the 710, what would have happened...

And yes, strange enough, NO Novarossi engines or varients in the top 10 A main ! So you guys with JP FX engines, IDM or NovaMax engines, better sell your engines cheaply to me ! muahahah

Anyway, congrats on Kyosho / Sirio for a powerful showing. To Serpent, congrats also. Better luck next time. Like Brett.w mentioned, there's always another worlds to win.

For me personally, I felt the weather did not make this WC a nice one for many. I mean there were lots of talented drivers that either got their radio gear botched up or the rain spoling their run got them their premature exits. Really feel sorry for them.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Anyone with a 710 kit which has a copper coloured 17T gear?

Originally posted by InitialD
Do you have the black flywheel? Are you using the brass cone that comes with the kit?

Mark, can you post a pic or something to show how the bearing sits in the 1st gear pinion from the front side? (where the thrust bearings is)

The bronze coloured 1st gear pinions are suppose to be new. The first batches of the 710 required you to use a very thin aluminum shim before screwing the 1st gear pinion onto the 2nd gear pinion to make the spurs gears run true.

The new ones do not require any of those thin aluminum shims anymore as the pinions already have been built correctly to incorporate them. This means that the 1st gear pinions will be protruding more outwardly.

Hi Guys

D is correct, but I have bad news mark...

The bronze pinions are rubbish, throw them in the bin
There are alot of 710 drivers that I know here or race with and we have all found the same thing the bronze pinion wears very quick. I ran one about 3 months ago and now they have release new silver pinions which are the best out of the 3. Ran it for 5 race meets so far and no wear.

I will post a pic soon if you have not seen them, they come in the new orange labelled bag.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Anyone with a 710 kit which has a copper coloured 17T gear?

Originally posted by InitialD

I'll post some pics. Yes, the kit has the black flywheel and I'm using the brass cone that came with the kit.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a 710 kit which has a copper coloured 17T gear?

Originally posted by Picard
Hi Guys

D is correct, but I have bad news mark...

The bronze pinions are rubbish, throw them in the bin
There are alot of 710 drivers that I know here or race with and we have all found the same thing the bronze pinion wears very quick. I ran one about 3 months ago and now they have release new silver pinions which are the best out of the 3. Ran it for 5 race meets so far and no wear.

I will post a pic soon if you have not seen them, they come in the new orange labelled bag.
Oh
Old 10-17-2004, 06:36 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oversteer on power

Hi All,

I have got my 710 handling fairly well but I'm having some difficulty with the following.

On exit from a slow or slow/medium corner i have to be careful with power delivery or the back end of the car will spin around. I'm running the following
front ball diff (medium)
yellow front springs
red rear springs
Rear diff set loose
Old 10-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default New Gear

Here is the gear, If you looked at MS's car at the WC he looked to run the same type of pinion
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-pinion.jpeg  
Old 10-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Oversteer on power

Originally posted by B4
Hi All,

I have got my 710 handling fairly well but I'm having some difficulty with the following.

On exit from a slow or slow/medium corner i have to be careful with power delivery or the back end of the car will spin around. I'm running the following
front ball diff (medium)
yellow front springs
red rear springs
Rear diff set loose
B4

I ahd the same problem for the last month and it turned out to be the outdrive on the rear diff were worn, along with the rest of them, have you checked them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.