Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by Picard
Well he does make me spend all my money on snake goodies so I have to get back at him some how
Whats this make shit? You dont need much prompting.... if its on my car you have to have it. The only thing you havent got that I have is the light shafts and the ceramic diff balls.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

InitialD
Caught me looking at another car.

Ok, here's my problems with the 710, the steering throw not equal left and right. I know the fix was posted some time back, but you people go thru so many pages a day its hard to find things with out a page number. A major problem with the 710, it pushes for me really bad, entering, middle and exiting. I think the thicker rear bar might help.

I have raised front roll center, rear roll center, tightend rear bar, have not raised the DSR yet. My initial setup is according to the manual

I have not raced for past month. But besides the standard setup, I have changed shock oil to 80wt, 4 holes front piston, 3 holes rear, red springs ft and rr. standard rear roll center but with shorter rear upper arm. One way front. 40's front and rear. Have not tried this set up yet

I have trouble downloading the 710 FAQ.

So are the front upper and lower arms stronger? Everytime I smack something they bend. Ive been getting my parts from Ashford
Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
Yeah I would think so... But I don't know if it's me or something else but I find the Speedmind tires wear down a lot too these days. Perhaps it's the track surface. I also noticed that their rubbers are not as dense as before I used to remember. I'll go and check again.

BTW, with the new Ellegis, I needed to screw in the pivot ball more. With the new Ellegis, I would end up about 1 mm wider in front and the rear than I would with the Speedminds. So now I set the trackwidth with the Ellegis and when I switch to Speedminds, I use self made hex lexan spacers to space out the wheels to get the same trackwidths.

Yeah I saw some at Mushroom. However, we get ours at our LHS since the price is about the same before shipping.

Yeah you're right. It's driving style and preference. I think the wider front should tame your car a little.
I have only been using the speedminds about 6 months and I have always had better wear with the sato's if I was to use same 37 shore.

I just feel that although wear is sacrificed a little the grip I get from the speedminds is second to none.

What shores do the new snake tyres come in? 35 - 45?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by RoyU
InitialD

Ok, here's my problems with the 710, the steering throw not equal left and right. I know the fix was posted some time back, but you people go thru so many pages a day its hard to find things with out a page number. A major problem with the 710, it pushes for me really bad, entering, middle and exiting. I think the thicker rear bar might help.

I have raised front roll center, rear roll center, tightend rear bar, have not raised the DSR yet. My initial setup is according to the manual

I have not raced for past month. But besides the standard setup, I have changed shock oil to 80wt, 4 holes front piston, 3 holes rear, red springs ft and rr. standard rear roll center but with shorter rear upper arm. One way front. 40's front and rear. Have not tried this set up yet

So are the front upper and lower arms stronger? Everytime I smack something they bend. Ive been getting my parts from Ashford
Hi Roy

Firstly do you have the new 3 racing CF front upper bumper and second, how big is your track and how good is the grip?

The bumper will protect your front better
Old 10-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

What shores do the new snake tyres come in? 35 - 45?
Yup. But I think Mushroom only has up to 42 shore...
Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yup. But I think Mushroom only has up to 42 shore...
Should be enough thanks

Roy
get your hands on the new servo saver and the steering linkage needs to be at 39.5 - 40mm to give you correct throw
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sparksy is already doing an order

You guys are a bad influence on my savings account
Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Setup I ran on the weekend. Had tons of steering

Front

Downstops 0mm
Ride Height 5mm
Camber L & R -2
Track Width 199mm
Toe in -.5
Caster 3mm
RC 0mm under (Highest)
Upstop N/A
Shocks 2 Holes 40W Serpent Tower Position 3
Springs Red
Roll Bar Flat

Rear

Downstops 7mm
Ride Height 5mm
Camber L & R -3
Track Width 200mm
Toe in 2
RC Upper Upper Inner
RC Lower Low
Shocks 5 Holes 40W Serpent Tower Position 1 Lower position outer
Roll Bar 5mm in. Standard bar

Tyres Speedmind 35's Front and rear

Rear Axle Diff set soft
Trans 17 & 21 Spurs Standard
Body Protoform Mazda 6

Others
New servo saver
Alu Shocks
New Serpent engine mount
Alu X member
Alu Bracket middle shaft
Serpent Alu Roll Bar levers
CF Front bumper
bearing spacers in hubs
Engine NSR 3
Clutch Standard setting with yellow shoe

For me the car was a little loose in the rear but the track had poor grip. The reaction of the car was incredible. Super responsive. Will try harder front bar next meeting and possibly harder front tyres

Last edited by Picard; 10-04-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I just wished I had the video camera on when you did that other stunt (that was without my car anywhere near yours).

I;ve only ever seen two people do that and both of you guys did it on the same day too!
Hmm more than a coincedence if you ask me my friend!!! A large disturbance in the force, the ring bearer being at the track and two guys shoot straight throught the fence on the long sweeper on the same lap - I'll let you draw your own conclusions
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Ok, here's my problems with the 710, the steering throw not equal left and right.
Yes, follow what Picard has mentioned. The difference in length is due to the different dimensions of different servos used in the steering giving different lengtht. This is covered in the FAQ.

A major problem with the 710, it pushes for me really bad, entering, middle and exiting. I think the thicker rear bar might help.
Yes, the thicker rear sway bar should really help. But try playing with simple things first like shock angles, springs and sway bars !

For more on power steering, less rear toe in, harder rear diff setting, harder rear sway bar, harder rear springs or more steep rear shock angle...

For more off power steering, slightly more toe out, more horizontal front shock angle, softer front spring, softer front sway bar, looser rear diff setting...

These are the simple things you can try which you would normally try on different cars too.

But besides the standard setup, I have changed shock oil to 80wt, 4 holes front piston, 3 holes rear, red springs ft and rr. standard rear roll center but with shorter rear upper arm. One way front. 40's front and rear. Have not tried this set up yet
80wt?? What shock oil is that? Go back to Serpent 30wt or 35wt.

I would suggest setting the car really back to stock setup. Drive the car and see what you're lacking. Then change the things I suggested above one by one. After exhausting all of them, then only go to the more advance setup options.

Try this and that. Either one should work.

Front upper and lower arms are the same. The ones that are stronger are the upper bumper brace (802206) and the lower bumper support (802205). Like what Picard mentioned, if you can get the 3 Racing carbon fibre upper bumper plate support, then it will hold the front section better.

The rear lower arms are slightly "longer" giving you more plastic meat to thread your pivot balls deeper so that it does not rip out easy.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Welcome back old paduan !

Yeah right... Onkel Sow said he was going to use an old OS 5 port engine...

So what you heard about me rooting for Onkel Sow and putting you down isn't correct eh? Trust your inner feelings. Feel the force flow in you... muahahah That Onkel Sow was trying his mind tricks on you.
Thank you master, I did wonder if Sow had been telling me the truth, but Onkel Sow's mind tricks were far stronger than I had prepared myself for He could change the tyres/engines on his car quicker than I could see I must prepare myself better for the next visit!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Roy
get your hands on the new servo saver and the steering linkage needs to be at 39.5 - 40mm to give you correct throw
Yes. The new servo saver apparently does a good job. If you need the car to turn in quicker while still having good rear traction, do the short wheel base mod. 1 or 2 mm shorter should suffice.
Tech Elite

Default Re: Mark & Sow

So who is the undisputed king of the 710 forum
D
Tech Prophet

Toe in
You were saying...
Old 10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

You're cruel Picard !

Perhaps I think it's time to ask those two old guys to pass the RING to you instead of hording it for themselves to try and look young.
You're right - Sow didn't look good when he took the ring off We were attacking each other with our walking sticks/zimmer frames in the pit lane - like two old slugs fighting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.