Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro body venting???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any one can answer ? :

1.- Puting a hole up on the roof its allowed by IFMAR ?

2.- Any changes on engine cooling ?

3.- It REALLY affects car performance in terms of wind resistance ?

thanks !
Old 11-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Huh, I didn't realize that this thread would take on such a life.

I know the refueling hole really isn't an issue for me. I ran a car with the tank right in the middle (Reflex) but since my pit person just uses the old fashioned "squeeze the fuel bottle" method during my pitstops, it works just fine to put the bottle tip in through the side window.

No one i know of around here uses a fuel gun.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tianci- Thanks i will try the alfa
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As a Pro-Racer, There is another advantage to the hole in the roof. Therefore, it shouldn't be alowed. I only cut the windscreen (windshield) with a hole just large enought to get the fuel tank open and refuel it. If you don't cut the windscreen, you get more downforce than you might think. Although my racing involves oval racing as well, I don't even cut the side windows out or the back window. I have been able to keep the motor cool enough, but I have seen others overheat and damage the motors. This is just what I do and I do not recomend it to anybody. I am only saying what I do and to state that without the windshield cut, you will get more downforce giving better cornering.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rcfoolz
As a Pro-Racer, There is another advantage to the hole in the roof. Therefore, it shouldn't be alowed.
what is the advantage and why it shouldnt be allowed to do that? is it bcoz of the advantage gained?

If you don't cut the windscreen, you get more downforce than you might think.
is this the advantage gianed if you DONT CUT your windscreen? more downforce? I though DOWNFORCE gained from your REAR SPOILER?

I don't even cut the side windows out or the back window. I have been able to keep the motor cool enough.
How you manage to keep your engine cool enough with MINIMUM opening? how high is your NITRO (i mean your %), did you set your engine to be a bit RICHER? What kind of PLUG you are using? what kind of engine you are using? TELL US MORE.... so that we can MINIMISE the OPENING and GAIN more downforce as you said.....

mop

Last edited by mop_iko; 11-06-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

http://rc10.com/racerhub/racerspotli....racerspot.htm

take a look at the #9 car. This is my car. I can say that I run 20% nitro with 12%oil. My needle settings are a little rich, but my temps stay low. As you can see, the hole in the windscreen is very small comparied to many. The sides are not cut out and the back isn't either. The hole in the roof is just large enough to get the glow ignighter to it. It works for me and I have used the same engine for the whole season.

If the spoiler is the only thing that keeps downforce, what about the front tires? The body of the car also gives down-force and the windshield is one of the largest areas that gives downforce on the whole car, giving you more turn-in.

The motor temps that I have been keeping is around 220 and less. I run a med-hot plug. and the engine I have been running is a Rossi Pixy .12 138r

Most of my racing is Oval and I keep the engine wound up most of the time. We run the equivilant of 8-10 miles in a race and it isn't easy on an engine unless it stays cool.

As I said before, this works for me and I have found success with it. later......
Old 11-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think basically when you cut the windshield you are interupting the air flow over the body and giving it somewhere else to go rather then push down on the windshield.

Can't really be avoided in nitro but some say it can be minimized.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

I can also agree with that
Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

rcfoolz...

I agree that there are advantages to cut a smaller hole out, I normally just do a half moon in the windscreen, centered on the car. This does allow for more downforce in the front and also keeps the strength of the body up. However, when you don't cut out the rear to allow the air to escape, I think you hurt yourself. Only allowing air into the body with no natural exit except to escape under the body will create positive pressure inside the body and will have a tendancy to counteract your rear wing and lift the rear of the car as the air escapes, the faster you go, the more you will notice this. Maybe this is not an issue in an oval, but on a roadcourse you will want to cut a similar or slightly larger hole out in your rear window too.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

If you dont cut a hole in the rear of the car. you will hardly have any air flow throw the body at all. Because the air that is the in body has no way to get out so there is no more space to put more air so the air just flows on past the hole.

Catch my drift!!!

I learn't this the hard way when i got a new R34 GTR shell and only cut about 50% of the windsrean out and no rear window.I took it to the track and over heated my engin and burt the selve.

your better off just going throw lots of bodys then going throw lots of 400-600 NOVAROSSI and other race engins.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

I understand what you say, but why does it work for me? On Inside R/C last week, they showed a GASCAR race from Sugar Hill, GA. The car I ran had only a small opening in the windscreen and that is the car that won the race. I had extreemly low motor temps as well.

If you don't believe this, if you live near Montgomery, AL and wish to come to a race, next weekend, the 15-16th, or come out and watch. Everybody is welcome to come up and watch. It is at the Lagoon Park Speedpark. We will be running 500 laps for the main.

The only thing that I can figure is that if your not going as fast as the cars do on oval, there would be need for additional venting for to let more air pass though. On a small tight course that you don't get alot of high speed sections, I could see the use for more venting, but if it was a large sweeping track, I wouldn't cut my back window out.

And as I said before, this works for me. I don't recomend anything to anybody. I was only saying what I do, not what you should or should not do.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default rcfoolz

do u have a website for your club or track that u race at?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

http://hobbyracing.com/GASCAR/

This is the GASCAR site. We don't race at just 1 place. We race all over the southeast. AL, GA, SC, NC and soon VA