Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engin Break-In?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by tIANcI
I have broken in my engines as told by my LHS and its usually running it rich at about 38-40 degrees celcius for say 10 tanks. If you are talking about your modded 5 ports (Rody, Massimo, JP Black etc) then about 18-20 tanks will be great.

Just let the engine run on full throttle at 38-40 degrees celcius and after that just tune your engine up as recommended by the manufacturer.
10 tanks? 18-20?! That makes no sense. ABC engines need heat to break-in properly...the number of ports make no difference in break-in procedure. Your LHS is giving you the wrong info, the preferred method these days is to idle one tank at factory carb settings, keepign the temp around 200-210F, then proceed to run it. Don't forget to change the glow-plug after the initial break-in (break-in particles usually contaminate the element). Use the same fuel you plan on running with, as well. ABC engines may be a bit finicky until that first gallon of fuel is burned, then they will begin to make true power.

Con-rods should not have to be changed out after initial running in, I've never heard this before. Never changed one until excess play develops in the big-end bushing...
Old 11-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Usually my engines just receive 1 tank at idle, 4-5 tanks playing idle-mid power-full power with a good amount of smoke but not toooooo rich ... and after that a couple more tanks at that setting on the track ... after that just fine tunning and race ...
Old 11-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Old Skool
10 tanks? 18-20?! That makes no sense. ABC engines need heat to break-in properly...the number of ports make no difference in break-in procedure. Your LHS is giving you the wrong info, the preferred method these days is to idle one tank at factory carb settings, keepign the temp around 200-210F, then proceed to run it. Don't forget to change the glow-plug after the initial break-in (break-in particles usually contaminate the element). Use the same fuel you plan on running with, as well. ABC engines may be a bit finicky until that first gallon of fuel is burned, then they will begin to make true power.

Con-rods should not have to be changed out after initial running in, I've never heard this before. Never changed one until excess play develops in the big-end bushing...
Wait a minute ... how does one idle at 200 degrees? From what you are saying you only run one tank at idle and then proceed to run the car on track and that after a gallon or so the engine will sorta peak?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Yep. Keep that temp gun handy. There's no use to have an engine running slobbering rich on the starter box with a huge puddle of fuel beside the stinger. Back in the day when I got my first ABC engine(HPI .12R, anyone remember those?), I idled it so rich I could hold my hand on the head forever, and this continued for like, 8 tanks. I thought that was the thing to do. Well, the engine lasted forever (I still have it today), but never reached its full power potential. When I rebuilt it earlier this summer, I installed a new piston and sleeve set...same conrod, mind...stuck a new MC-59 plug in and idled that puppy for one tank, adjusting the carb so that the temps remained in the 200F range. Tossed the now-contaminated plug for a fresh one, installed it in my XXX-NT along with an AE pipe, and ran it. Temps stayed in the 220F range for the first gallon, then it woke up. Truth to tell, even for a rotary-carbed, side-exhaust engine with "only" 1hp, I'm afraid to lean it out to full race temps (240-260F) because the truck is barely controllable as it is.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Oh, and some of the hardcore racers don't even idle one tank. They disassemble and inspect a new engine, stick it in the car and go race. The engines can take the heat.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Default BREAK IN PROCEDURE - for reference

ok... this one i got from nitroreview.com

only for reference... as a start... at least you know what to prepare, what to do and what to expect.

mop
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Old 11-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Default BREAK IN PROCEDURE - for reference

Got this from http://harcohobbies.com/articles/nitro_break_in.asp
Nice and easy to understand…thanks to ROB..

HPIR40 manual said... you should use the NITRO % that you want to use AFTER BREAK IN... in short... if you intend to use 25% for running your car... then you should use 25% during the break in process no need to use lower %. That is what being said in the HPIR40 manual.

mop
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Old 11-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for all the infos guys. Im newbie in engine treatment. I never break in an engine B4 coz i always ask the shop owner, who sold me the engine, duhh...to do it. If its not done properly, i will not buy it from him.

no harm done to any animal here