R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Turbo V. Non Turbo Plug (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/26789-turbo-v-non-turbo-plug.html)

hicheef 10-28-2003 01:12 PM

Turbo V. Non Turbo Plug

Whats up all?!?!
Got a couple questions concerning g-plugs

1. Whats is the advantage of a turbo vs. a non-turbo plug?

2. I have a really healthy MT-12 right now, can I just swap out the non-torbo plug for a turbo plug adjust a needle or two and go or is there more envolved?

3. Do I have to run a different Pipe now??

Thanks,
KEVIN

SlobbaTech 10-28-2003 03:02 PM

You would have to buy a turbo button for that engine if you were to try out a turbo plug. I have never used turbo plugs so can't say for sure if they are better or not but they create a better seal which should be better for pretty much everything, power, tuning, reliability. You would have to find a turbo plug that is the same temp as your current plug, prolly have to tweak needles a little, and I think turbo plugs cost a little more.

icon 10-28-2003 03:02 PM

1. The turbo plugs are supposed to provide a better seal of the combustion chamber without the need of the usual copper gasket found in standard glowplugs.

2. With novarossi based engines you can just swap the button head in order to use a turbo plug. Turbo plugs were originally designed for larger engines so their temp ranges are colder than the standard plugs designed for our small block engines. So try to buy the hottest turbo plug you can find.

3. No

2mcgrath 10-28-2003 09:12 PM

i think the regular plugs work just as well..considering what you have to buy to use turbo plugs..and also pay about 10 or more a plug..no thanks

trey 10-29-2003 05:04 AM

I dont think there is any difference in performance, other than the better seal. Turbo plugs don't cost anymore than standard plugs do they? Here they don't anyway. I get Nova turbo 3-packs for like $12-$13.

kreidel 10-29-2003 05:39 AM

The turbo plugs generally are alittle more exspensive.

treky11 10-29-2003 10:18 AM

Personally, I think there is definetly a performance difference. Turbos are more powerful.

I replaced the button on my .15 CVR in my Super Nitro and when I switched it to a turbo the engine definetly had more power.

InitialD 10-29-2003 10:17 PM

Top Gun 777 told me this about turbo glow plugs...

Turbo plugs give real difference in performance and it is related to hole where the filament is located. It is much smaller then regular plug and you can make the combustion chamber smaller without being afraid of detonation. Most people still don't know why the turbo plugs are better then regular plugs. Everybody relates it to the sealing design, but the real thing is actually the smaller hole.

x_man 10-30-2003 04:51 AM

Originally posted by InitialD
Top Gun 777 told me this about turbo glow plugs...

Turbo plugs give real difference in performance and it is related to hole where the filament is located. It is much smaller then regular plug and you can make the combustion chamber smaller without being afraid of detonation. Most people still don't know why the turbo plugs are better then regular plugs. Everybody relates it to the sealing design, but the real thing is actually the smaller hole.

:nod: :nod: :sneaky: