Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What OS Engine and pipe for Tamiya TGR Chassis Kit >

What OS Engine and pipe for Tamiya TGR Chassis Kit

What OS Engine and pipe for Tamiya TGR Chassis Kit

Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What OS Engine and pipe for Tamiya TGR Chassis Kit

Hi,

I have just bought a tamiya TGR Chassis kit ( Less Engine Version ) (44033), I want the best engine in the O.S Engine line up, I have the original Manifold from tamiya, I need an engine which will fit with no problems and to go with that I want a good pipe as well, please help

Thank you very much indeed
Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Please helllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppp
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

The Tamiya TGR is a very nice kit. Its definately fast and not a beginners toy. Check out this review of the kit: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1

As far as the motor is concerned you will need a side exhaust in the .12-.18 range. If you want OS the OS 18CV-R with a 11G slide carb would be a good way to go. The full TGR kit (44030) originally came with the FS-15RB (Tamiya 41046). You can still pick one up thru E-Tamiya at http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-4...ne-p-3498.html
As far as the exhasut goes I am sure you can find a matching one for the 18CV-R on the OS web site along with a manifold. If you are going with the FS-15RB it sounds like you already have the manifold BUT the original TGR black exhaust that came with the full kit is much harder to find (Tamiya 9334055).

By the way is the manifold you have the silver one or the black one?

Let me know how you make out.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

I had the TGR's little 10th scale bro, the TG10R. Other than the OS, the only other hi-po side exhaust engine of the top of my head, that hasn't been discontinued, is the Novarossi CX12.
You're pretty limited when it comes to a good race worthy side exhaust engine though so why not go the NTC3 route and use one of it's rear exhaust headers and suddenly you have a far larger selection to choose from. That said, if it's just parking lot play you're after the OS or the Novarossi would do just fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi,

I have the Tamiya (#41028) - Tamiya Vertical Exhaust Manifold TM-2
but that is it I do not have the tamiya engine some say that it is not as good as th O.S engine therfore I have the tamiya manifold I need an engine which will fit to this manifold, I need an O.S engine, I have checked the O.S 18 CVR but it is no longer available so which model you think will fit to this car and manifold thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

After giving it some thought I think the .18 CV-R would be the way to go. The CV-R series by OS is tough and puts out half decent power for a side exhaust. By moving from a .15 to .18 you should have plenty of power (besides the .15 CV-Rs are harder to find parts for). There are a couple listed on E-Bay right now at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Os-Engines-18CV-...3286.m20.l1116
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-O-S-18CV-RX-...3286.m20.l1116
Note that they both have a pull start which may or may not fit. If it doesn't its not hard to convert. You simply would have to screw off the pull starter portion from the rear of the engine and buy a rear cover plate (OSMG4053) which you would then screw back . Note that you might also have to file down the extended bit on the back of the pullstart crankshaft. If you do an internet search you may find the right model - you are looking for a 18 CV-R with a slide carb (vice rotary) - fits the kit throttle setup better and a regular shaft (NOT a Pilot shaft), non-pull start.

A Nova Rossi is also a very good engine but it only comes in a .12 for the side exhaust (CX-12) and its harder to find now as well as parts. Although an excellent fit for the TG10R it might be a little on the weak side for this 1/8 kit.

As far as manifolds go the one you have now will fit almost all .12-.18 side exhasut engines. The 2 straight pieces of the U shaped manifold are longer than those on the original TGR manifold (7624010) and the manifold ends slightly further forward (when mounted on the car) along the bottom straight portion (originally for the TGX vice the TGR kit). This is actually good though as the bottom portion of the longer U can be cut back towards the back further if required to allow for the fitment of a more modern, longer exhaust so as not to interfere with the front steering (the TGR exhaust was a bit shorter than most modern pipes). Also there is plenty of room toward the rear of the car to accomodate back U portion of the manifold. For the exhaust I would go with an OS exhaust pipe designed to fit the 18 CV-R or you could use a Tamiya TM-2 which goes with the manifold you currently have.
http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-4...gx-p-6246.html

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Last edited by metal_driver; 01-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artooks
Hi,

I have the Tamiya (#41028) - Tamiya Vertical Exhaust Manifold TM-2
but that is it I do not have the tamiya engine some say that it is not as good as th O.S engine therfore I have the tamiya manifold I need an engine which will fit to this manifold, I need an O.S engine, I have checked the O.S 18 CVR but it is no longer available so which model you think will fit to this car and manifold thanks
The 18CV-R without pullstart is still available but its costing around US$200.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Check out OS 12 TG, it is supposed to be a newer pull start model from OS, dont know if it will fit or not.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rccollect
The 18CV-R without pullstart is still available but its costing around US$200.
If you can find one of these this is the way to go.

RCcollect - do you have a link or a place where you can find one of these?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default O.S. 18CV-R

Sorry for the 7 mth late reply but its available at local LHS if you want it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Have A/RTR TGR if interested

Originally Posted by artooks
Hi,

I have just bought a tamiya TGR Chassis kit ( Less Engine Version ) (44033), I want the best engine in the O.S Engine line up, I have the original Manifold from tamiya, I need an engine which will fit with no problems and to go with that I want a good pipe as well, please help

Thank you very much indeed
Question, where are you located? And with that asked, I have a fairly complete TGR that I've "Toyed around with". It has the Tamiya .15,(slide carb, side exhaust). I've raplaced the chassis plate, fueltank, and colleced some spare spur gears, misc parts, ect. Car hasn't been run for about 3 years, PM me if interested.

And BTW, I would think OS has something w/std crank, slide carb, side exhaust, and non pull start, in a .18 size, I'll "Beat the Bushes" and see what can be found....Probably, if you went the Assoc. NTC3 exhaust route, then a OS ,12 or .18TZ w/rear exhaust could work.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by metal_driver
The Tamiya TGR is a very nice kit. Its definately fast and not a beginners toy. Check out this review of the kit:

As far as the motor is concerned you will need a side exhaust in the .12-.18 range. If you want OS the OS 18CV-R with a 11G slide carb would be a good way to go. The full TGR kit (44030) originally came with the FS-15RB (Tamiya 41046). You can still pick one up thru E-Tamiya at

As far as the exhasut goes I am sure you can find a matching one for the 18CV-R on the OS web site along with a manifold. If you are going with the FS-15RB it sounds like you already have the manifold BUT the original TGR black exhaust that came with the full kit is much harder to find (Tamiya 9334055).

By the way is the manifold you have the silver one or the black one?

Let me know how you make out.

Jeff
The air filter is it include with this engine FS-15RB at etamiya.com ??

thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Rookie

No unfortunately not. The air filter that comes with the complete kit (44030) can be a little hard to find by itself.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

i have the toyota GT-one ts020 1/8 body for it for sale
comes with decals, instructions and wing parts
all new
it did not come with any mounting hardware
maybe that can be gotten on ebay with a parts tree
$120 US plus shipping
[email protected]
email address spelled like that
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by el salvador
Question, where are you located? And with that asked, I have a fairly complete TGR that I've "Toyed around with". It has the Tamiya .15,(slide carb, side exhaust). I've raplaced the chassis plate, fueltank, and colleced some spare spur gears, misc parts, ect. Car hasn't been run for about 3 years, PM me if interested.

And BTW, I would think OS has something w/std crank, slide carb, side exhaust, and non pull start, in a .18 size, I'll "Beat the Bushes" and see what can be found....Probably, if you went the Assoc. NTC3 exhaust route, then a OS ,12 or .18TZ w/rear exhaust could work.
Hello, do you still have any parts for the TGR? I just found this site. I am looking for the spur gear set either 47T/51T or 45T/49T. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.