Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by amuse
hi fellows, just want to comments on the recent Serpent manufacturing quality, not the material quality but the workmanship of parts.

I recently (finally) upgraded my 960 to a 966, new kit new built. I have to say, compare to the 960, which was the 1st gen kit, this 966 is awful to build. Parts don't fit without some "fine tuning", machined parts with lots of chips left in crevices, plastic parts need to de-bur of the extra material from the mode. This is so different in quality control compare to my 960 and even the 960/08 OS2 upgrade i did to my 960, which was still excellent for fit and finish. I major "mod" i have to do on the 966 was the rear axle pin that holds the quick release lever for the wheel, the pin will not go through without elongate the hole.

I also recently build a Mugen MBX-6 buggy, this is my first Mugen build and i have to say I have never build a kit that trouble free.

I know myself very well that as much as i am complaining now, i know i will buy another Serpent. what can you do???

anyway, i just wanted to see what you guys think on the quality of finish on Serpent cars/parts of late.

sorry for the long post
you cant compare off road cars to onroad .offroad parts are so much bigger
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stefan
I have to agree entirely.
I've been a Mugen guy since I started nitro racing, but with the recent Off Road addiction of Mugen and the lack of support for On Road classes, I decided to make a switch to Serpent.

My son is running the 966 and I went for the 733.

I was really shocked about the amount of work it takes to build a functioning car.
Once it's built, the 966 is a great performing car and it also holds up well.

The 733 on the other hand is so fragile and it's so hard to keep a working setup on it, that I decided to give up on it after not even a full season.
they have made updates to the 733 with the parts and yet you still gave up bummer
Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by captian
I have build all my Mugen onroad cars from the MRX2 towards the MRX4R and with all cars the parts did slide on each other like a glove.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

hi fellows, just want to comments on the recent Serpent manufacturing quality, not the material quality but the workmanship of parts.

I recently (finally) upgraded my 960 to a 966, new kit new built. I have to say, compare to the 960, which was the 1st gen kit, this 966 is awful to build. Parts don't fit without some "fine tuning", machined parts with lots of chips left in crevices, plastic parts need to de-bur of the extra material from the mode. This is so different in quality control compare to my 960 and even the 960/08 OS2 upgrade i did to my 960, which was still excellent for fit and finish. I major "mod" i have to do on the 966 was the rear axle pin that holds the quick release lever for the wheel, the pin will not go through without elongate the hole.

I also recently build a Mugen MBX-6 buggy, this is my first Mugen build and i have to say I have never build a kit that trouble free.

I know myself very well that as much as i am complaining now, i know i will buy another Serpent. what can you do???

anyway, i just wanted to see what you guys think on the quality of finish on Serpent cars/parts of late.

sorry for the long post
i also agree with that. The quality of my 720 which is a 08 model upgraded to 09 is much better than the quality of the new 733 or 720 '09. Plastics seem to be weak and break very easily. Bearings (the ones with the black rubber) are not good also. i think that serpent had its best quality between 2007-2008. After moving to China, quality became worse. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

they have made updates to the 733 with the parts and yet you still gave up bummer
Yep, but the bummer is, that when they do updates they let them go under the same part number.
I have 4 front bumpers laying around, all ordered with the intent to get one of the new ones.
The first 4 were the old plastic and the last one was the new plastic.
Also, with their recent move into a new building within China, parts supply was anything but good....
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

personally i have never put together a kit yet without massaging parts to make them fit better or smoother especially on the drive drain. Ive just taken it, if i want it to work at my standards than I'll need to make the necessary mods

Last edited by motojon; 08-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

After building Mugens and Kyoshos, the Serpent does take a little longer to build and get everything just right. The results do pay off in the end. I love the way the 966 handles and tunes compaired with my old MRX-4X.

The only part I have broke more than once on the 966 are the front upper "wishbones" as Serpent calls them. It's taken a good smack to break them though.

Not really had much problems with the bearings in the kit yet....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
I have build all my Mugen onroad cars from the MRX2 towards the MRX4R and with all cars the parts did slide on each other like a glove.
your right and they have slop when there done too 'i should say after the first run . but all kits have something thats why people switch looking for the next great thing
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stefan
Yep, but the bummer is, that when they do updates they let them go under the same part number.
I have 4 front bumpers laying around, all ordered with the intent to get one of the new ones.
The first 4 were the old plastic and the last one was the new plastic.
Also, with their recent move into a new building within China, parts supply was anything but good....
like mugen & kyosho dont do that !!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
rjr
Tech Adept

like mugen & kyosho dont do that !!!
Actually, I've not seen Kyosho do that. You'll get a new part number or a letter after the original one to designate the difference.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rjr
Actually, I've not seen Kyosho do that. You'll get a new part number or a letter after the original one to designate the difference.
the evolva had some of that even if you used delta parts
Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it's not the matter of on or offroad, i've built a few 10th scale and most recent being the TOP Photon, and the workmanship of the plastic parts is much better than the bigger scale 966. so the size should be an excuse.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motojon
personally i have never put together a kit yet without massaging parts to make them fit better or smoother especially on the drive drain. Ive just taken it, if i want it to work at my standards than I'll need to make the necessary mods
i do agree which i like my car to be built perfect or as close to the first time, but the 966 i've just built is not the necessary mod to make it smooth. it's without "modding", parts cant even be fitted. example that pops to mind, the spurs that i have in the kit, the hole where you place the bearings, the long shaft cannot even make through the hole due to the flashings.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i do agree which i like my car to be built perfect or as close to the first time, but the 966 i've just built is not the necessary mod to make it smooth. it's without "modding", parts cant even be fitted. example that pops to mind, the spurs that i have in the kit, the hole where you place the bearings, the long shaft cannot even make through the hole due to the flashings.
im sorry i just dont see what the big deal is so you use an exacto knife and or reamer and cut the stuff out
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I really dont see the problems about parts fitting that people are talking about. Ive built a 960 08, a 966 conversion, a 966 kit, a 720 08 and a 733 and I didnt have any problems with parts fitting well. Ive also built a RRR and a Evolva M3 and those cars had too much slop. With the Serpent kits the parts fit well with very little to no slop, and the steel parts have very long wear. Im still using the original 720 CVDs in the back of my 733, and just now the pins are showing some wear.

Ive been hit in the back of my 966 on the straight by an MRX4(motor was rich) full throtle, both car flew over the barrier. Brougth my 966 back to the pits added some body clips, leaned the motor and finished the main, the MRX4 had to be pulled off. So not only are the cars good on wear, they are also strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.