Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burty
lol,sorry,that was a bit vague of me wasnt it,im located at wagga wagga nsw australia,hoping to purchase online,cheers.

Call Auswide hobbies 47 325 133 ask for Jon & tell him what you need he will get it sent down to you. There are not a lot of online shops in AU. if you have any trouble PM me & I will get you hooked up.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

cheers for the help guys,hey there soc123,whats the price for the 966 in aussie,just curious,i was getting a second hand 960,but ive decided to get the 966,just trying to find one.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The 966 is coming back in stock soon!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

cheers for the help guys,hey there soc123,whats the price for the 966 in aussie,just curious,i was getting a second hand 960,but ive decided to get the 966,just trying to find one.
Not sure of the street price, I think its under $900.00AU. Jono said he has hooked you up so its all good. If you need any help with it let me know, take your time putting it together & you will have a red hot car. When you set it up dont go with the standard setup on the sheet that comes with the car, Paulo M has posted a setup on either page 12 or 13 of this thread, go with that as a starting point & tinker from there. Have fun with it
Old 07-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Adept

gday there soc123,thanks heaps for hooking me up,ive purchased from jon a few years back,so it was good to talk to him again,its been a while,thanks heaps for the help mate i appreciate it,i definitely will be asking for some help id imagine,cheers.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

gday there guys,just wanting to make sure i have everything i need when my car shows up,other than the obvious what else will i be needing that isnt included in the kit,does it come with oils and lube and what not,i do have all this stuff but everything i have is offroad,being lubes from previous builds and shock and diff oils for my buggies.sorry for all the questions,where could i find paulo's setup sheet,i went back and checked every page and can only find the default setup sheet,sorry this question has probably been asked a few times,but i cant find the answer,so thought id just ask,are all tyres interchangeable,im reading these fit kyosho/mugen,these fit serpent only,i also found something about os2 and os1,im assuming wheels offset,sorry for all the dumb questions guys,thankyou very much for all your help.
anything else you think i should be aware of?Im all ears,cheers and beers,burty.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Video-Soon.
Testing chassis 1 here photos of chassis 2 .
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 966-pictures-435.jpg   Serpent 966-pictures-452.jpg   Serpent 966-pictures-456.jpg   Serpent 966-pictures-448.jpg   Serpent 966-pictures-467.jpg  

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

gday there guys,just wanting to make sure i have everything i need when my car shows up,other than the obvious what else will i be needing that isnt included in the kit,does it come with oils and lube and what not,i do have all this stuff but everything i have is offroad,being lubes from previous builds and shock and diff oils for my buggies.sorry for all the questions,where could i find paulo's setup sheet,i went back and checked every page and can only find the default setup sheet,sorry this question has probably been asked a few times,but i cant find the answer,so thought id just ask,are all tyres interchangeable,im reading these fit kyosho/mugen,these fit serpent only,i also found something about os2 and os1,im assuming wheels offset,sorry for all the dumb questions guys,thankyou very much for all your help.
anything else you think i should be aware of?Im all ears,cheers and beers,burty.
The 966 kit comes with 40 WT (1000 CST) shock oil, all you need is Blue Loctite for screws to aluminum assemblies, black grease for the trust bearing, one way oil for the one way bearing, then just follow the default set up which will make it easier to drive, the 966 uses wheels/tires that fits the Kyosho cars which is OS2, also a good set of allen wrenches.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

thanks heaps for the info samuel,(it is samuel???)muchly appreciated,wasnt sure about the tyres,just wanted to be sure,cheers again.
regards,burty.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

thanks heaps for the info samuel,(it is samuel???)muchly appreciated,wasnt sure about the tyres,just wanted to be sure,cheers again.
regards,burty.
Anytime Brad.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Here you go Burty

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Hi guys,

I sent an e-mail to several of you that were willing to know about my experiences with the car. I will post that same info here, just so people that don't feel to send me an e-mail will be able to read the info.

Shocks: soak the foam with oil before building. Fill the shocks until the first thread. I found a good and technical way to make sure the shocks are equal. I use caste clips. Basically I put caster clips in the shaft. So after no more air is in there, pull the piston and install the caster clip (I use 5 mm caster clips for the rear shocks and 4 mm for the front) Screw in the shocks (couple of turns) Then start pushing in the piston all the way down (the caster clip is going to limit the travel). With the piston in this position, screw all the way in the plastic parts. After this remove the caster clip. You will end up with a shock that is super Smooth thru the whole travel with a almost a 50% rebound. If you want less rebound, go 1 mm less clips (both front and rear shocks

Setup: This is what i was using as starting point every were. I will say with this my car was 90%. The rest was just small adjustments depending on track conditions

Front
Downstops 0 (really bumpy track -1)
Sway flat
Car long
Roll center: 1 mm under upper arms and pins inside.
Caster 2 mm in the front
Ackerman: narrow/in
Schocks: 3holes 40WT (1000cst) or 45WT (1400cst). Green springs and 1st position on tower. Stock springs works too but are softer
Wheel scrub: 1 mm inside
Toe: 3 total
Camber: 1.5
Steering blocks: # 2 on the right side
Wheel axle pos: up (sometime I like in the middle) I use just a big bearing for this
Ride height on hudy setup station: 8 (really bumpy track 9)
No under chassis stiffner

Rear
Downstops 6 (really bumpy track 5)
Sway Flat, outside
Car long
Roll center: lower pin all the way up. Upper arm inner hole in the bulkhead, middle hole in the upright, with 2mm spacer
Schocks: 3holes 40WT (1000cst) or 45WT (1400cst). Pink springs and 1st position on tower. Stock spings work too but are softer
Wheel Scrub: 0mm inside
Toe: 2.5
Camber: 3.5
No side stiffner on the right. Left stiffner not screw it in the rear bulkhead (I cut mine so it hold only the belt tensioner) but I have extra in case I want to use it in a specific condition
Ride height on hudy setup: 9.5 (really bumpy track 10.5)
Body position; Whit Zytec I use upper hole in the upright (body mount arm) and second hole from the outside in the body mount Attention: Make sure that you move the bodymount centering shaft if you decide to lower or raise the body. You have 2 holes in the shock tower.

Clutch:
flyweights pivoting against the rotation of the engine Gap 0.8 End play 0.3. Under extreme low traction condition, go to 0.6 gap and 0.3 end play.
Preload: 1.2

Gears:
Low bite: 16-48 / 19-45
High biter: 15-47 or 48 / 19-45

This is the setups I was using. This weekend I made several test and I found a better compromise. Below the changes (whatever is not there I used the same as above)
Front
Roll center: 0 mm under upper arms and pins inside.
Shocks: 1 holes 800 CST with green springs 1st hole
Camber : 2.5 outside 2 inside
Steering blocks; #1 on the right and #2 on the left
Wheel axle: Middle (I use a big bearing)

Rear
Shocks: 2 holes 800 CST with pink springs 1st hole

The car was very good with this setup. I used same shore tires front and rear

Hope this info can help
Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

The other things to get, would be a bottle of one way lube & set of springs. The kit comes with purple fronts & red rears. You can buy them in sets or the main ones to grab would be green fronts & pink rears. The fronts & rears are different lengths so you need the springs to suit the right end. Tyres depends on the track, I mainly use 33s or 35s (tight low to med grip track) Also an approprate rx pack. I use a lipo, jono will be able to give you correct lipo & reg to suit, or you can go a 5 cell nimh pack, the best one for this is the 5 cellAAA pack. The AAA pack is a bit harder as not many shops carry them, If you get stuck I have a new one at home I can give to Jono to send down for you.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

thanks once again soc123 for all the help,i think you guys will be hearing that a bit,lol.ive been running lipo for the last year or so in my buggies,so ill definitely stick with that,ive got a few different configurations of battery packs so i think i will have one that will work,cheers for the offer though.
ive got a few different servos,i think i will run my jr servos z9100t and s,im sure they would be up to the job.im excited,my daughter is going to the inlaws this weekend would have been a perfect weekend to lock myself in the shed with copious amounts of grog and build away,lol.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Cant wait to get my Serpent 966!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Belts

Hi. Can anyone tell me how many teeth each belt has in a Serpent 960/966? I know they are S3M, but don't know the teeth number.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.