R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #1471
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
The oneway from the 950 and 960 are different from the new oneways. If the inside of the oneway is RED, use grease NOT oil. I went thru a couple before I was told.
Hi there what kind of grease?
Only know oil and must be a special oil for that bearing.
Thxs,
kavajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1472
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavajas View Post
Thxs,
Use Associated black grease.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #1473
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavajas View Post
Thxs,
I use associated diff grease (clear), but I've heard people use black as well.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #1474
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghett0 View Post
sounds like either there is too much play or something is binding. make sure everything is seated properly and there is minimal play
hmmm...too much play or something is binding... that got me thinking...

there is a spacer/washer that goes between the 2 bearings (the bearing in the 2-speed bearing block and the 2nd speed spur gear)... i believe it is 1mm thickness

I lost this spacer/washer... so i used shims... however, when i put a total of 1mm shims between the 2 bearings, i find that the locking pin rubs against the flanged bearing (the one that is in the 2nd speed spur gear)... so i reduced the shims to 0.6mm worth which, i find, gave me minimal play and the locking pin does not rub against the flanged bearing... however, could this be the source of my problem?

With regards to not maintaing the 1-way bearing so often... i will definitely give that a try as well...

Will try both seperately so that there is at least a logical troubleshooting/process of elimination...

this problem is really driving me nuts, not to mention burning a hole in my wallet...

thanks all for the valuable feedback.
sammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #1475
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammies View Post

there is a spacer/washer that goes between the 2 bearings (the bearing in the 2-speed bearing block and the 2nd speed spur gear)... i believe it is 1mm thickness

I lost this spacer/washer... so i used shims... however, when i put a total of 1mm shims between the 2 bearings, i find that the locking pin rubs against the flanged bearing (the one that is in the 2nd speed spur gear)... so i reduced the shims to 0.6mm worth which, i find, gave me minimal play and the locking pin does not rub against the flanged bearing... however, could this be the source of my problem?

With regards to not maintaing the 1-way bearing so often... i will definitely give that a try as well...

Will try both seperately so that there is at least a logical troubleshooting/process of elimination...

this problem is really driving me nuts, not to mention burning a hole in my wallet...

its a trial\error kinda thing it seems, hard to reccomend anything without visuals, post a pic if you can... make sure before you do anything regarding motor \ radio setup your car rolls clean/smooth back and forward
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #1476
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

One more thing to check - Make sure your clutch flywheel nut is TIGHT. If it is not, the flywheel will slip every time the car shifts and when it slips it will cause the clutch adjusting nut to tighten a little. At some point this nut gets tight enough so that the spring coil binds and the clutch does not fully engage causing the clutch shoe to slip and it will wear out very quickly.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #1477
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

I dont use this shim in my car, I didnt even know it was supposed to be there until now
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #1478
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle View Post
One more thing to check - Make sure your clutch flywheel nut is TIGHT. If it is not, the flywheel will slip every time the car shifts and when it slips it will cause the clutch adjusting nut to tighten a little. At some point this nut gets tight enough so that the spring coil binds and the clutch does not fully engage causing the clutch shoe to slip and it will wear out very quickly.

Lee
if the flywheel nut is loose he would't be able to star his car??
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #1479
Tech Initiate

I tried the big bearing on front hubs, because i did have a little touch and the plastic ones on the kit broke and the original bearing got inside the hub and give me a lot of play on the front wheel. And i like to drive the car on the track.
I still didnt try the clutch, im afraid it will start again, because i didnt find a logical for what happened.
Best,
kavajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #1480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghett0 View Post
if the flywheel nut is loose he would't be able to star his car??
I was not talking about it being so loose that the flywheel spins but not tight enough to keep it from slipping some at the shift.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #1481
Tech Regular

Hi,

I am going to rebuild my car, i.e. new chassis and new parts for the 2-speed section to attempt to resolve my 1-way bearing curse.

Looking at the manual, for the v2 revision of the 2-speed bearing blocks, the bearing that goes into left bearing block is part #1342 (6x13).

The bearing in the right bearing block is part #1343 (5x13). Is that correct? Shouldnt it be both #1342 (6x13)?

Sam
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #1482
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi,

I am going to rebuild my car, i.e. new chassis and new parts for the 2-speed section to attempt to resolve my 1-way bearing curse.

Looking at the manual, for the v2 revision of the 2-speed bearing blocks, the bearing that goes into left bearing block is part #1342 (6x13).

The bearing in the right bearing block is part #1343 (5x13). Is that correct? Shouldnt it be both #1342 (6x13)?

Sam
that should be 6x15 for part #1343. its a bigger bearing , due to the 2 speed and extra weight and load on that side.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1483
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
that should be 6x15 for part #1343. its a bigger bearing , due to the 2 speed and extra weight and load on that side.
Would that be the same for the v1 2-speed bearing blocks?

On my car (which I bought 2nd hand), the right side v1 2-speed bearing blocks can only take a 6x13 bearing, which is the same sized bearing on the left side.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #1484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Would that be the same for the v1 2-speed bearing blocks?

On my car (which I bought 2nd hand), the right side v1 2-speed bearing blocks can only take a 6x13 bearing, which is the same sized bearing on the left side.
well its the same for the 960 08 as well, according to the Reference guide. bigger bearing on the spur side.
But i just pulled my 2 speed apart, and i can tell you for sure, the V1 posts take the 1342 bearing both sides. maybe a Typo in the reference guide .
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #1485
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Both bearings are 6 x 13 for the 2 speed bearing blocks on either Version 1 or Version 2.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote