Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,

Still fairly new to 1/8 nitro... hoping to get some insight to the dozens of questions that I have buzzing in my head after each 1/8 run.

The shims located at the front CVs... i believe in slaven's video, he mentioned that he gets more turn-in if he placed all the shims on the outside. Looking for some kind sould to explain to me why this would be so. Wouldnt placing all the shims on the outside increase front track-width and thus make the car less reactive to steering response?

Sam
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sammies
Hi,

Still fairly new to 1/8 nitro... hoping to get some insight to the dozens of questions that I have buzzing in my head after each 1/8 run.

The shims located at the front CVs... i believe in slaven's video, he mentioned that he gets more turn-in if he placed all the shims on the outside. Looking for some kind sould to explain to me why this would be so. Wouldnt placing all the shims on the outside increase front track-width and thus make the car less reactive to steering response?

Sam
When you do that you need to reset the track width back to where it should be.
I cant say why you get more turn-in though, need an expert to explain that.

Oh, and just ask the questions, somebody will always answer.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Serpent Dominates the Novarossi Challenge @ Homestead

With 8 out of 12 cars in the final, Team Serpent had a great result this past weekend at the Homestead Speedway
DJ Apolaro TQ the event over Paolo Morganti by 1.6 seconds in the 10 minutes Ifmar style qualifier.
The final was super exciting. Dj, Scott and Paolo were neck to neck battling for the victory. After the long one hour main, with was Paolo Morganti who took 1st place with DJ finish in 3rd.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 966-74300_127897947265463_100001357765548_132204_716297_n.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

What starter boxes do you like? Right now I have been using the Mugen box but my pit person does not like. it She says its to hard to locate the car in the right position any sugestions?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the Serpent specific starter box for it and LOVE it....I hve seen people using the HUDY one with no complaints also.....give Sam at Kamikaze a ring hell have what u need
Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

I have a old serpent box do they make 966 mounts for it
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

if u have one for the 960 it should fit right on there
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

Was removing the spur gears after a run today, and found that the 2-speed clutch wouldnt come out of the one-way bearing. I couldnt even turn it.

No choice but to knock it out. Put it back in, and it was like normal... turns (in 1 direction of course) and able to take it back out normally.

any idea why this happened? should i be concerned?

sam
Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Are you using the set screw that holds the pin in place? The reason what happened to you happened is the pin gets pushed to one side. I think it is not a big deal, as it happens to me every so often and I have not had a problem. That being said, I try to always use the set screw to avoid this issue. But even with the set screw, sometimes it happens.

Regards,

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Are you using the set screw that holds the pin in place? The reason what happened to you happened is the pin gets pushed to one side. I think it is not a big deal, as it happens to me every so often and I have not had a problem. That being said, I try to always use the set screw to avoid this issue. But even with the set screw, sometimes it happens.

Regards,

DJ Apolaro
thanks for the reply!

yes... i am using the set screw to hold the small pin in place. sorry... but what does the pin have to do with the 2-speed adaptior shaft being stuck in the 1-way bearing?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I mis-understood. I though you were having truble taking the adapter off the shaft. If the one-way is sticking to the adapter than you are not lubing it often enough. If you are using the stock silver one-way, make sure to use the associate ball diff grease for the longest life. One-way oil is not enough.

DJ Apolaro
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe hose
What starter boxes do you like? Right now I have been using the Mugen box but my pit person does not like. it She says its to hard to locate the car in the right position any sugestions?
I used a mugen box on a 960 for years. The key to setting up a starter box is to get the locator pins in the right place.

1) on the top of the box at the edge of the hole where the starter wheel is, mark where the high point wheel is.
2) take the top off of the box. Invert your car so that it is bottom up and now put the starter box top so that it lays on the bottom of the car.
3) position the starter box top so that the marks from step 1 are positioned right under the engine flywheel.
4) put your locator pins in the correct place so that the lid is held where it needs to be. You may have to be creative with the pins because they may hit a suspension arm so some may have to cut off or short nut and bolt may be needed as a substitute.

After you do this your car will fall into the correct place so that only downward pressure is required to spin the engine.

I hope this helps.
Lee
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Sorry, I mis-understood. I though you were having truble taking the adapter off the shaft. If the one-way is sticking to the adapter than you are not lubing it often enough. If you are using the stock silver one-way, make sure to use the associate ball diff grease for the longest life. One-way oil is not enough.

DJ Apolaro
i see... ok... will use the associate ball diff grease as well.

from what you wrote, i take it that there are other options to the stock one-way? can you point me in the right direction here?

thanks in advance!!

sam
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default w2 rear wide offset

Hi,

why would using w2 hub in rear increase corner entry and more steering as stated in serpent homepage ? Thought wider rear will give you more grip, hence less steering?

thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xtreme888
Hi,

why would using w2 hub in rear increase corner entry and more steering as stated in serpent homepage ? Thought wider rear will give you more grip, hence less steering?

thanks
well u have to re-adjust your track width, u cant just install and run it. it has to do with geometry of the rear end, and in return u get better corner speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.