R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #1141
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
hi fellows, just want to comments on the recent Serpent manufacturing quality, not the material quality but the workmanship of parts.

I recently (finally) upgraded my 960 to a 966, new kit new built. I have to say, compare to the 960, which was the 1st gen kit, this 966 is awful to build. Parts don't fit without some "fine tuning", machined parts with lots of chips left in crevices, plastic parts need to de-bur of the extra material from the mode. This is so different in quality control compare to my 960 and even the 960/08 OS2 upgrade i did to my 960, which was still excellent for fit and finish. I major "mod" i have to do on the 966 was the rear axle pin that holds the quick release lever for the wheel, the pin will not go through without elongate the hole.

I also recently build a Mugen MBX-6 buggy, this is my first Mugen build and i have to say I have never build a kit that trouble free.

I know myself very well that as much as i am complaining now, i know i will buy another Serpent. what can you do???

anyway, i just wanted to see what you guys think on the quality of finish on Serpent cars/parts of late.

sorry for the long post
you cant compare off road cars to onroad .offroad parts are so much bigger
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #1142
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I have to agree entirely.
I've been a Mugen guy since I started nitro racing, but with the recent Off Road addiction of Mugen and the lack of support for On Road classes, I decided to make a switch to Serpent.

My son is running the 966 and I went for the 733.

I was really shocked about the amount of work it takes to build a functioning car.
Once it's built, the 966 is a great performing car and it also holds up well.

The 733 on the other hand is so fragile and it's so hard to keep a working setup on it, that I decided to give up on it after not even a full season.
they have made updates to the 733 with the parts and yet you still gave up bummer
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #1143
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,551
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
you cant compare off road cars to onroad .offroad parts are so much bigger
I have build all my Mugen onroad cars from the MRX2 towards the MRX4R and with all cars the parts did slide on each other like a glove.
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #1144
Tech Adept
 
gfilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
hi fellows, just want to comments on the recent Serpent manufacturing quality, not the material quality but the workmanship of parts.

I recently (finally) upgraded my 960 to a 966, new kit new built. I have to say, compare to the 960, which was the 1st gen kit, this 966 is awful to build. Parts don't fit without some "fine tuning", machined parts with lots of chips left in crevices, plastic parts need to de-bur of the extra material from the mode. This is so different in quality control compare to my 960 and even the 960/08 OS2 upgrade i did to my 960, which was still excellent for fit and finish. I major "mod" i have to do on the 966 was the rear axle pin that holds the quick release lever for the wheel, the pin will not go through without elongate the hole.

I also recently build a Mugen MBX-6 buggy, this is my first Mugen build and i have to say I have never build a kit that trouble free.

I know myself very well that as much as i am complaining now, i know i will buy another Serpent. what can you do???

anyway, i just wanted to see what you guys think on the quality of finish on Serpent cars/parts of late.

sorry for the long post
i also agree with that. The quality of my 720 which is a 08 model upgraded to 09 is much better than the quality of the new 733 or 720 '09. Plastics seem to be weak and break very easily. Bearings (the ones with the black rubber) are not good also. i think that serpent had its best quality between 2007-2008. After moving to China, quality became worse. Just my opinion.
__________________
Serpent 720 09 mega zx 12 dsII+, Serpent 733 nova 353 tuned/sirio XXXV
Futaba, Graupner, Hudy, RB fuel
gfilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #1145
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
they have made updates to the 733 with the parts and yet you still gave up bummer
Yep, but the bummer is, that when they do updates they let them go under the same part number.
I have 4 front bumpers laying around, all ordered with the intent to get one of the new ones.
The first 4 were the old plastic and the last one was the new plastic.
Also, with their recent move into a new building within China, parts supply was anything but good....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #1146
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,933
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

personally i have never put together a kit yet without massaging parts to make them fit better or smoother especially on the drive drain. Ive just taken it, if i want it to work at my standards than I'll need to make the necessary mods
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)

Last edited by motojon; 08-09-2010 at 12:08 PM.
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #1147
Tech Elite
 
Erock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,014
Default

After building Mugens and Kyoshos, the Serpent does take a little longer to build and get everything just right. The results do pay off in the end. I love the way the 966 handles and tunes compaired with my old MRX-4X.

The only part I have broke more than once on the 966 are the front upper "wishbones" as Serpent calls them. It's taken a good smack to break them though.

Not really had much problems with the bearings in the kit yet....
__________________
Hobbytown USA, Byron's Fuels, RC America, Clints creations paint, KO ProPo, Kevco racing, Picco engines, Matrix Tires
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #1148
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I have build all my Mugen onroad cars from the MRX2 towards the MRX4R and with all cars the parts did slide on each other like a glove.
your right and they have slop when there done too 'i should say after the first run . but all kits have something thats why people switch looking for the next great thing
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #1149
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Yep, but the bummer is, that when they do updates they let them go under the same part number.
I have 4 front bumpers laying around, all ordered with the intent to get one of the new ones.
The first 4 were the old plastic and the last one was the new plastic.
Also, with their recent move into a new building within China, parts supply was anything but good....
like mugen & kyosho dont do that !!!
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #1150
rjr
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
like mugen & kyosho dont do that !!!
Actually, I've not seen Kyosho do that. You'll get a new part number or a letter after the original one to designate the difference.
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #1151
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr View Post
Actually, I've not seen Kyosho do that. You'll get a new part number or a letter after the original one to designate the difference.
the evolva had some of that even if you used delta parts
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1152
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
you cant compare off road cars to onroad .offroad parts are so much bigger
it's not the matter of on or offroad, i've built a few 10th scale and most recent being the TOP Photon, and the workmanship of the plastic parts is much better than the bigger scale 966. so the size should be an excuse.
__________________
Serpent 966 / Serpent S120LT / Mugen MBX-6 / Tamiya 417X / Tamiya M-03 / Tamiya M-05 / Tamiya M-06 / Tamiya FF03 / Team Durango DEX210 / 3Racing F1-09 / Tamiya F104X1 / Tamiya F103GT / MST XXX VIP / Eagle Racing Gold R31
amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #1153
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
personally i have never put together a kit yet without massaging parts to make them fit better or smoother especially on the drive drain. Ive just taken it, if i want it to work at my standards than I'll need to make the necessary mods
i do agree which i like my car to be built perfect or as close to the first time, but the 966 i've just built is not the necessary mod to make it smooth. it's without "modding", parts cant even be fitted. example that pops to mind, the spurs that i have in the kit, the hole where you place the bearings, the long shaft cannot even make through the hole due to the flashings.
__________________
Serpent 966 / Serpent S120LT / Mugen MBX-6 / Tamiya 417X / Tamiya M-03 / Tamiya M-05 / Tamiya M-06 / Tamiya FF03 / Team Durango DEX210 / 3Racing F1-09 / Tamiya F104X1 / Tamiya F103GT / MST XXX VIP / Eagle Racing Gold R31
amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #1154
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,933
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
i do agree which i like my car to be built perfect or as close to the first time, but the 966 i've just built is not the necessary mod to make it smooth. it's without "modding", parts cant even be fitted. example that pops to mind, the spurs that i have in the kit, the hole where you place the bearings, the long shaft cannot even make through the hole due to the flashings.
im sorry i just dont see what the big deal is so you use an exacto knife and or reamer and cut the stuff out
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #1155
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,751
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I really dont see the problems about parts fitting that people are talking about. Ive built a 960 08, a 966 conversion, a 966 kit, a 720 08 and a 733 and I didnt have any problems with parts fitting well. Ive also built a RRR and a Evolva M3 and those cars had too much slop. With the Serpent kits the parts fit well with very little to no slop, and the steel parts have very long wear. Im still using the original 720 CVDs in the back of my 733, and just now the pins are showing some wear.

Ive been hit in the back of my 966 on the straight by an MRX4(motor was rich) full throtle, both car flew over the barrier. Brougth my 966 back to the pits added some body clips, leaned the motor and finished the main, the MRX4 had to be pulled off. So not only are the cars good on wear, they are also strong.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 960.... M7H Nitro On-Road 3281 11-14-2013 11:23 AM
Team Kamikaze Rc Racing Team Kamikaze Racing Forum 17924 08-31-2012 04:25 PM
Serpent's Lair ordinaryzam Malaysian R/C Racers 316 10-30-2009 01:29 AM
1/8th & 1/10th 200mm GAS POWERED ON ROAD OPEN RACE Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 98 04-25-2009 12:10 AM
Melaka Club Race 1/8, 1/10 GP and EP 2WD MINI - 1st March 09 zali_sh Malaysian R/C Racers 185 03-09-2009 11:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0