R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #736
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,792
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I like you avatart Joel
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #737
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Serpent

Danny and I both had our clutches take a shit right off the bat. We both changed the clutches within 2 days of each other, and ever sense then, Dannys spring nut keeps coming loose. I have not spoken to him for a couple of days, so I am not sure what, if anything he has done to fix the problem yet, but I do know that he has had the same issue with his clutch
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][/COLOR]BRC358http://www.kamikazercracing.com
nearest barstool
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #738
Tech Apprentice
 
JPSSR01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CARSON
Posts: 53
Default serpent clutch nut

Hey Bill this is Jerome ... Joel and I have been having the same problem with the spring nut coming loose. We put a little red locktite and so far its been good.
JPSSR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #739
Tech Master
 
Charles Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK (England)
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Right then guys n gals. Possibly looking at getting into 8th onroad. Currently race 8th offroad and raced 10th onroad electric before that. Been looking at the 966 car but what engine are most of you lot using? Been looking mainly at Nova Rossi engines or Mega engines. From looking at the pipes a few people use with these, i'm thinking of a 2015 and various manifolds. Now before i go spending my 's i'm going to go see a national to check out what people use and how everything is run but what essentials/options do you recommend when running 8th onroad? The main thing for me would just to get the clutch/gearing set-up rite so i guess you all carry optional spurs and shoes etc? If anyone can help point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. Also what tyre truers do you 'foamys' use

Cheers, Chaz
__________________
DXR | CML Distribution | Paint by Turnip Paint | TKRgraphics.com
Charles Godwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #740
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Godwin View Post
Right then guys n gals. Possibly looking at getting into 8th onroad. Currently race 8th offroad and raced 10th onroad electric before that. Been looking at the 966 car but what engine are most of you lot using? Been looking mainly at Nova Rossi engines or Mega engines. From looking at the pipes a few people use with these, i'm thinking of a 2015 and various manifolds. Now before i go spending my 's i'm going to go see a national to check out what people use and how everything is run but what essentials/options do you recommend when running 8th onroad? The main thing for me would just to get the clutch/gearing set-up rite so i guess you all carry optional spurs and shoes etc? If anyone can help point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. Also what tyre truers do you 'foamys' use

Cheers, Chaz
I got myself 2 966 and 2 mega power packs. I ran the DZIII race version and I am very happy with it. Got a EM version as well.

Power packs come with all you need. engine pipe manifold and all the goodies.

Nova engines are great but you constantly need to replace conrods. And when I mean constantly, I mean after breakin, before the main after the main etc. I got a nice 359 sitting with its guts blown up because I forgot to replace the conrod after break in ran 2 heats.

Picco engines are great as well. but they dont have the conrod problem as novas do but then of course the life of the engine becomes an issue. Running one at the moment and havent blown it yet.

I hear OS is good as well and very solid. lots of top end so needs to be geared accordingly and the parts are cheap for it. (piston sleeve 90 usd vs 300 of the nova) Built like a rock...

but I would buy a cheap and solid engine for the first season that lets you drive and concentrate on the car. I believe Nova has a spec engine that is very solid performer.

Coming from Electric you will be able to put in good lap times even with slow motor because electric drivers are used to driving on tighter tracks vs the gas car drivers liking to let loose and drive on bigger tracks. (at least that what I see here. The good is good anyways) the biggest issue for an electric driver is setting the clutch and the shift point right and trying to understand what the motor wants.

good luck
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #741
Tech Rookie
 
Jonnokurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Karratha / Australia
Posts: 16
Default

Hows that air filter work? I've never seen one like that before.
Jonnokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #742
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnokurt View Post
Hows that air filter work? I've never seen one like that before.
which one? you mean the one encased in a plasic box?

Xceed just came out with a clear one out so you can see whats going on inside :P
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #743
Tech Rookie
 
Jonnokurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Karratha / Australia
Posts: 16
Default

Ooo classy. Noise reduction I see I see...
Jonnokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #744
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnokurt View Post
Ooo classy. Noise reduction I see I see...
when you have 10 of them running at the same time... it really doesnt matter

the only thing good about these boxes is that they look better than just a sponge stuck on the cool engine
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #745
Tech Master
 
Charles Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK (England)
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
Nova engines are great but you constantly need to replace conrods. And when I mean constantly, I mean after breakin, before the main after the main etc. I got a nice 359 sitting with its guts blown up because I forgot to replace the conrod after break in ran 2 heats.
Wow new conrod just about every race weekend!?!?!?! Think i might stay away from them for a while

Looks like i might go with the Mega engines tbh. Good parts back-up over here in the UK and a fair few people run them.

What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz
__________________
DXR | CML Distribution | Paint by Turnip Paint | TKRgraphics.com
Charles Godwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #746
Tech Fanatic
 
redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicane.
Posts: 855
Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Godwin View Post
Wow new conrod just about every race weekend!?!?!?! Think i might stay away from them for a while

Looks like i might go with the Mega engines tbh. Good parts back-up over here in the UK and a fair few people run them.

What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz
Nah, that would be crazy. I had a nova that I used for a club racing and had gone for a year without needing to replace anything.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #747
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 727
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Godwin View Post
Wow new conrod just about every race weekend!?!?!?! Think i might stay away from them for a while

Looks like i might go with the Mega engines tbh. Good parts back-up over here in the UK and a fair few people run them.

What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz

No, for conrod, usually after break-in, i will change it, then it will last for awhile. NovaRossi is pretty much the best engine all around.

NovaRossi 359 has a conrod issue because for some strange reasons NovaRossi changed the pin to a smaller size. If you look at 35Plus21, Cordoba, or the new FLASH, they don't have this issue. Cordoba is the most powerful, and the new FLASH has better top end and run time. You won't be wrong using NovaRossi.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #748
Tech Fanatic
 
redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicane.
Posts: 855
Send a message via Yahoo to redsand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post

Coming from Electric you will be able to put in good lap times even with slow motor because electric drivers are used to driving on tighter tracks vs the gas car drivers liking to let loose and drive on bigger tracks. (at least that what I see here. The good is good anyways) the biggest issue for an electric driver is setting the clutch and the shift point right and trying to understand what the motor wants.

good luck

That is not always the case.

IMHO, electric racers tend to be smoother on throttle.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #749
Tech Master
 
Charles Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK (England)
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ah right ok...so a 359 is a no no really in terms of overall reliabilty unless you do the checks and replacements frequently. I have been looking into getting a 35+21 though, does look like a nice bit of kit. Like the tyres....so many to choose from
__________________
DXR | CML Distribution | Paint by Turnip Paint | TKRgraphics.com
Charles Godwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #750
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,937
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Godwin View Post
What tyres do you guys run then??? Xceed, Jaco, Enneti??? So many to choose from

Cheers, Chaz
Xceeds by far you wont be disappointed, especially the light weights
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 960.... M7H Nitro On-Road 3281 11-14-2013 10:23 AM
Team Kamikaze Rc Racing Team Kamikaze Racing Forum 17924 08-31-2012 03:25 PM
Serpent's Lair ordinaryzam Malaysian R/C Racers 316 10-30-2009 12:29 AM
1/8th & 1/10th 200mm GAS POWERED ON ROAD OPEN RACE Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 98 04-24-2009 11:10 PM
Melaka Club Race 1/8, 1/10 GP and EP 2WD MINI - 1st March 09 zali_sh Malaysian R/C Racers 185 03-09-2009 10:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net